help i broke the oil fill cap!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok,so I was pulling the filler cap off and I hear pop pop pop and the top of the cap came off and now the other half is in the hole...very firmly in too. what to do?

Needle nose pliers on the metal parts (plier used in reverse, spread to grab something), turn it out and remove. Otherwise, pull the valve cover.

ok,typo there's really no fishing yet...I was attempting to loosen it and it broke. Its still threaded in.

Happened to me on my GC. Use a pair of extended nose needle nose pliers inside the carcass of ratchet body stuck in the hole. Hold both legs firmly OUT - ie. not squeezing. Rotate out. Amazon search replacement. Really just gently reinserting would have sufficed, but I like it to be at least shipshape if not perfect under there...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Needle nose pliers on the metal parts (plier used in reverse, spread to grab something), turn it out and remove. Otherwise, pull the valve cover.

+1 It really shouldn't be that bad a job w/o having to pull the VC. Good luck!

I was thinking the plier thing...I'll be home soon to do it. We just went to town to get a new cap.

If the pliers trick doesn't work try using a chisel or screwdriver at an angle and slowly tap it with a hammer to thread it out.

If it's the kind with an o-ring on it the old o-ring is probably what's sticking. I can't see a pic but if the counter-clockwise doesn't get you out you can try banging down on one end hoping the other end will rotate up, then you can pull it with pliers.

When you get your new cap you'll see if you got all the thread out, for example, and if you have an o-ring style.

Its out. And lol I wasn't changing the oil just topping off. So it had plenty of oil to go to the store

Originally Posted By: jdawg89
Ok,so I was pulling the filler cap off and I hear pop pop pop and the top of the cap came off and now the other half is in the hole...very firmly in too. what to do?

What make/model/engine do you have? How would I have any idea what your oil cap looks like?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

my thoughts exactly
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: LineArrayNut
Happened to me on my GC. Use a pair of extended nose needle nose pliers inside the carcass of ratchet body stuck in the hole. Hold both legs firmly OUT - ie. not squeezing. Rotate out. Amazon search replacement. Really just gently reinserting would have sufficed, but I like it to be at least shipshape if not perfect under there...

Same on my Grand Cherokees (current 04 and previous 00) also. It's a two piece unit which isn't built the best. I used pliers to hold one edge of the part left in the valve cover. Didn't bother to buy a new one, the old one seals just fine and hand tightening is plenty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back