Clamshell Style Spring Compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.
My only concern is that this style of spring compressor will not be able to handle the more narrow Honda coil springs, which are found on some of their vehicles with the double-wishbone style suspensions.

I have this one from OTC, Its good quality and does a good job on struts off the car.
Its safe even with heavier springs like those found on Honda odysseys in the front.

One spring compressor cant do every job like MB 123 cars require a special one, for those and quite a few similar styles one i use one from Klann.

You cant go wrong with this one from OTC for most struts it will do a good job.
HF makes a copy of this that would scare me to death.

I have one of those compressors and have used it several times with varying success. To be blunt I hate it. It is heavy and ungainly and the best way to use it is to have the compressor mounted somehow so it can't move. But this only works for unmounting the strut, when it comes time to mount it back in then you will find it pretty inconvenient.

I also find it difficult to compress some springs sufficiently enough to relieve all the pressure on the mount. Those claws are pretty beefy and won't go high enough on the spring coils to get a wide grip. I find myself always compressing more towards the middle of the spring than I would like.

What you *need* is a wall-mounted pneumatic compressor but who can afford that? I always seem to end up using my long bolt type compressor that I am very, very careful with and always make sure isn't pointing at me or anything else for that matter. I did buy a good US made version (not a HF model) if that matters.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

I also find it difficult to compress some springs sufficiently enough to relieve all the pressure on the mount. Those claws are pretty beefy and won't go high enough on the spring coils to get a wide grip. I find myself always compressing more towards the middle of the spring than I would like.

What you *need* is a wall-mounted pneumatic compressor but who can afford that? I always seem to end up using my long bolt type compressor that I am very, very careful with and always make sure isn't pointing at me or anything else for that matter. I did buy a good US made version (not a HF model) if that matters.

Thanks. I guess that having multiple times will ultimately be needed to handle every situation.

I had a similar issue with not being able to get the claws to go high enough when I was used my friend's wall-mounted Branick compressor. The issue that I had is that the Prius springs were "cock-eyed" in a way where it would be difficult to grip enough coils.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I have this one from OTC, Its good quality and does a good job on struts off the car.
Its safe even with heavier springs like those found on Honda odysseys in the front.

One spring compressor cant do every job like MB 123 cars require a special one, for those and quite a few similar styles one i use one from Klann.

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Trav

I have a painted red re branded one of these, I think it's a Mac or Matco. Sorry, it's been a while since I have done any strut work. I've done several sets of struts on older Camry's with it, although there is a warning not to do so! I am barely able to get the spring compressed enough to remove/reinstall it safely. And it is scary. Anyone not afraid of a compressed spring will probably get an education one day.

It is a good tool, far better than cheapie spring compressors. And yes, I have 2 pairs of those in bottom of the toolbox. The best part is the ability to use an impact wrench on it. That saves so much time and effort. I think it's the best option short of a wall or floor stand mounted version like a Brannock. Just be sure to read all the warnings on which cars can use this style compressor. As mentioned above, more than a few can not.

If you are really worried, maybe you can find a shop that will swap the springs for you. You could save a lot of labor dollars removing and re-installing the assemblies yourself.

If your application has quick strut (or equivalent) available (especially at Advance Auto with hefty coupon), do you really want to go through this hassle? That is the question to TheCritic

Originally Posted By: Vikas
If your application has quick strut (or equivalent) available (especially at Advance Auto with hefty coupon), do you really want to go through this hassle? That is the question to TheCritic

I have never worked on a single car where Quick-Struts were available. For some reason, Quick-struts only seem to be available on older cars (7+ years old) or domestics.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Not many people replace struts on new(er) cars! Most of them don't have money to throw away :)

Vikas,

The Monroe squirrels called and said that your '99 Odyssey is due for its 50,000 mile damper replacement service
56.gif

Actually, the Odyssey did get the rear shocks in it last year or so when I got a good deal on them at AAP. Those were Monroes too :) Once in a while I get the urge to buy the quick struts for the front and make use of all my impact wrenches but then I come to my senses and realize that "a man got to know his limitations!"

The Schwaben Pro-Series Strut compressor looks like a good alternative.

You can check it out by searching the Sears site. Their link is not working.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back