Falken vs. Kumho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for comments regarding experience with either of these tire brands 65,000 mile tires ?
Looking to place on a 2011 Kia Forte (195/65-R15) and keep the total under $450 out the door .

I had Falken FK452 on S2000 some years ago, it performs very well on dry and wet roads and fairly quiet, but the tread life isn't so great, rear tires lasted only 11-12k miles front lasted 18-20k miles.

I had Kumho ASX on E430, performance was okay at best, it lasted about 25-26k miles.

I currently have Kumho 4X on both S2000 and E430, it performs very well on both wet and dry roads, fairly quiet. I don't know tread life because both have less than 3k miles.

Of the 2 brands, I would choose Kumho.

I bought Cooper CS4 H rated in that size for my MB. That's what Id get. Otherwise Primacy MXM4 from michelin.

I had Falken Ziex 912 on my Maxima because they were the least expensive name brand 17" tires at the time (probably still are). The tread life wasn't that great (I got about 30k miles out of them; they are rated for 40k for V speed rating) and they got noisy after 20k miles. With that said, they performed okay and I might buy them again if I were in a crunch. They hold air very well though.

We just put Falken Ziex 612s (identical to the 912 but exclusive to Discount Tire) on my mom's Miata. They were the least expensive decent tires available in a 17" size.

You might want to consider the General Altimax too.

I have a set of Kumho KR21's. No complaints in wet or dry weather, handled pretty well this morning in snow as well. I only have ~6,000 miles on them so I can't comment on wear... they are warrantied for 85,000.

Kumho over Falken!!! I had Falkens on my Intrepid. wore out in 28k miles. (I got 40k out of OE Goodyears). I have Kumho KR21's on there now. got fooled into 2nd set of Falkens (better model, supposedly) on my Echo. horrible in snow. wore out completely in 33k miles. OE Pirelli's went 50k. Have KR 21's on there also. 8k miles and they look new. I've also had a set of Kumho's on my van for years.

I am sure both companies make inexpensive all the way to VERY expensive tires , so posting models would help.

Falken does make cheaper tires on average tho , last time I was at tire depot , the cheapest tire was Falken and Kumho they had was like almost twice as much.

Kumho all the way!! The Falkens I'd tried had alot of road noise and rode rough as well. Kumhos ride smooth as silk!

The Falkens I've had have been shaky (Ziex/ZE-912s, 2 sets), the Kumhos were better-and their super cheap Power Star 758s actually lasted 40K on the 300D before they started tearing belts.

Probably Kumho between the two.

However, if Costco runs the $100 off a set of 4 Bridgestones sale again, you can probably get the Turanza Serenity Plus installed for $450 in this size. That would be a better than anything Kumho or Falken makes in this size.

I should have stated Falken Zeis - 612 (Falken made for Discount Tire) vs. Kumho KR21's .

if price is your main consideration and you want a good value tire.

I'd start with sumitomo HTR A/S P01

made in japan goodness about 75$/tire shipped.
H speed rating...

Dunlop Signature II H rated 84$ shipped.

hankook optimo h727 T-rated 89$ shipped.

General Altimax RT T-rated 84$ shipped

cooper CS4 T-rated 89$ shipped (30$ rebate on 4)

I didnt list the mileage warranty but the h727 and cs4 both have 80000 miles.

you can find all those tires on tirerack or dtd.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand

H speed rating...

+1

Originally Posted By: Rand

H speed rating...

Sumitomo HTR A/S 01 is the best value and probably also the best tire on the list.

Thanks !! All tires you listed are in my price range - I believe I can get the Cooper CS4's from Discount Tire (may have to order though) .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back