ARX Observation - Increased Fuel Economy! - 98 Chev K1500 170k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I had to post this.

'98 Chev K1500 extended cab 4x4
5.7L (350ci) engine
33" tires
- M1 5w30 in ARX Clean Phase
- Canadian Tire "plain jane" 5w30 Dino for rinse phase.

I'm 800 miles into my first rinse phase on ARX. Going through my records..In the last 60k miles I've been keeping track, my truck gets around 17 MPG..highway...consistently over hundreds of tanks of gas....unloaded, at around 70 MPH... I've never been really happy with this....

Just got back from a 1300 mile trip. Before I left, I was 480 miles from the end of the first ARX clean phase and now I'm around 800 miles into the first rinse phase.

I reset my trip odometer after the last fill-up to check the mileage, because on the trip the fuel guage seemed to be moving way too slow. I actually had thought it was broken

- First tank of gas of the trip was exactly 16.65 MPG. (480 miles before end of rinse phase)

- Most recent tank of gas---> 22.6 MPG!!

I'm ready for all of the explanations as to why my mileage could vary..but I know this truck really well and it's has always been within around 1 MPG from 17MPG Highway. I've owned it for the last 100k miles....and it has NEVER ....EVER produced 22.6 MPG.....and, this particular trip the truck was loaded with 500 lbs of motorbike, 100lbs of wife, 150lbs of wife's luggage, 10lbs of my luggage (in addition to the normal load of "me").

I've got to say that I'm pretty pleased with this stuff. I wish I had taken the valve covers off for pictures and done a compression test before I put in the ARX.

Anyhow...I'm pretty sceptical, and I would doubt this if I read it too..but I'm converted. I tried ARX on my 30k mile BMW and saw no results whatsoever.... I guess that car didn't need it yet.

Anyhow...if you haven't tried this stuff yet, and you have an older car with performance dropping off a little, I would recommend you try it....and stick to the instructions.

[ August 28, 2005, 10:47 PM: Message edited by: Jim 5 ]

Also,

Since I was on vacation, I had to do an oil change in a parking lot. I bought a $1 tin foil turkey roasting pan as a drain pan. Once I poured the used oil into the oil jug for recycling, there was a fair amount of grit in the bottom of the pan left over...not metallic, just dirty grit. It didn't fall off of the underside of the truck, I was really careful about that. I assume the ARX liberated this from the inside of the motor.

I can't wait to drain the clean-phase dino oil!

Likely had contaminated ring packs. Perhaps feeling a bit more performance out of that 350.
Had similar results in a 4.3 liter chevy. Keeps us informed on the mileage improvement. I am extactic with a 2 mpg increase.

First, your wife is really light:) secondly, please report your mileage over a month interval or some longer interval, not just one tank. It will give more idea

I'm super happy with an increase of 5 mpg.....around a 20% increase. A tank of gas is costing me around $95 CDN. I guess the bottle of ARX will pay itself off in about 2 tanks of gas.

I may have to order up another bottle and go for "Round 2" of ARX treatment.

Jim 5, Careful trying to convince people you've experienced increased fuel economy. I started a thread about this and people STILL are reluctant to believe my results. I believe you.

I also saw a drastic reduction of hydrocarbons emissions from the tailpipe after running ARX in the 4.3. I got better readings from the state of NC emission testing after treatment at the 120K mile mark than at any other yearly test from new.
Good sign of more complete combustion.

Thanks for the report, Jim 5. I'm glad you're seeing good results. I'm hoping for something good from it in my Subaru. I have low compression in one cylinder that, if this will clean it up, should result in better economy. I don't know the reason for the low compression, but ARX is a pretty inexpensive thing to try.

I did a treatment in my 97 Volvo 960 (71K miles)
2.9 liter I6 and saw my mileage jump 1.5 mpg on the highway. 26.3(before Auto-Rx) to 27.8 is not something I would complain about in a 3500 lb car. I think it may be even higher than 27.8 but I never checked the mileage on the last tank of gas. I just emptied the rinse oil out yesterday and filled with M1 and LC. Next road trip is planned in December so I'll check out the mileage over 5 tanks of fuel I use for my Fl. trip.

I'll keep track of the fuel economy over a longer period to establish a more reliable track record.

I just had to report the change, because this is a first for that truck!

I put Auto-rx in what I thought was a clean engine with 175,000 miles on it. Immediatly the power went up and the MPG were as good as they ever were. I have owned it from the start. However, 5 MPG is a hugh increase, hope it holds up for you.

I sure do too Ugly3, I could use the increase in fuel economy on this gas-pig in light of recent gas prices!

It's like the price of gas just went DOWN 20% for that vehicle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back