Reusable Oil Filter's??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a customer today told me he had a Reusable Oil Filter on his 2005 F-250 6.0?? anybody else ever heard or seen these So called "reusable Oil filters" Im still trying to Wrap my head around how to wash these thing's if you cant put oil in your bathroom drain?

If thats the purpose of buying it, agreed. Reading more about the media.. it provides higher efficiency AND better flow. Something a conventional media cannot do, conventional media impedes flow with higher efficiency.

I had one around 1957 or so. It looked like a bunch of tiny bronze ball in a cone shape that was to filter your oil. Clean it with gas or solvent, shake it out and let dry and use again. Got it from J. C. Whitney/Warshawski. Had it on a 55 Chevy V8 which came with no oil filter then. I've seen them advertised within the last year or two only with a stainless steel innards.

Some old Volvo engines have sump filters where you just change the element and O ring, just like a fuel filter. That allows you to drain and inspect the oil filter, but there might not be a need to change it if it's not dirty.

Originally Posted By: HM12460
A little off topic here, but didn't the old VW bug's have a cleanable/re-usable screen used for oil filtration?

In function, it's not a filter. It's an inspection device. You can tell the general condition of the engine by the type and quantity of [censored] caught in the screen, be it bits of carbon, aluminum or copper, sludge, etc.

One of the reasons ultra-purists and old-timers object to a spin-on filter mod is because the filter, well, filters out so much that nothing gets caught in the screen, so you can't rely on inspecting it to tell you what's up with the engine.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
Originally Posted By: HM12460
A little off topic here, but didn't the old VW bug's have a cleanable/re-usable screen used for oil filtration?

In function, it's not a filter. It's an inspection device. You can tell the general condition of the engine by the type and quantity of [censored] caught in the screen, be it bits of carbon, aluminum or copper, sludge, etc.

One of the reasons ultra-purists and old-timers object to a spin-on filter mod is because the filter, well, filters out so much that nothing gets caught in the screen, so you can't rely on inspecting it to tell you what's up with the engine.

Guess that was back in the days when people never thought of cutting open a spin-on oil filter.

All the reusable oil filter I know of filter down to only 35 micron. The cheapest paper filter go up to 20 and will filter some percentage down to 5. It is the particle above 20 that does the most damage, so there is no point using reusable filter.

There are several reuseable/cleanable filters listed at Summit racing, they are stainless mesh media and are rated from 30 to 70 micron depending on the model. They are intended for racing and favor oil flow over filtering. Dont know why anyone would put one a normal use engine. Very high prices so wouldn't be saving anything by using them.DD

The only way I know of to fully clean these fine mesh filters is with an ultrasonic cleaner. Hard to justify the cost of the $100 filter plus the cleaning machine....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back