Pictures of service stations from long ago...

Status
Not open for further replies.
A nice collection of gas station pictures I haven't seen before.

http://hipspics.freewebspace.com/gas/gas.html

When you think of it, why would anyone take a picture of a gas station?
smile.gif

Last edited:
It wasn't that long ago we had those. They were still around in the 1970's. Started to see the C-store/self serve thing really take off in the late '70s early '80s.

? about the Texaco photo about 2/3 of the way down. How in the heck did they get the cars on and off the tower multi level parking ramp thing?

Last edited:
lots of those old stations around here, most have just removed the pumps and tanks, and are just independent garages now, with a few turned into used car lots.(with service bays)

Originally Posted By: Ross
? about the Texaco photo about 2/3 of the way down. How in the heck did they get the cars on and off the tower multi level parking ramp thing?

I would assume the whole rack is like an elevator. moves up/down @ the flick of a switch...

saw an apt. building with that kind of setup on Futurama once.
(yes i know that it's a CARTOON set in the FUTURE, but I SEEN IT!)

Originally Posted By: PhillyJoe

When you think of it, why would anyone take a picture of a gas station?
smile.gif

my Grandma had/ Great Uncle has framed sketches of the old "PURE" gas station/General Store, their older Brother owned/operated in his tiny Appalachian town in SE Ohio.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
I would assume the whole rack is like an elevator. moves up/down @ the flick of a switch...

Amazing!

Brings back memories. As a kid, during the 60's, every summer my parents would load up the family station wagon and take us on a 2 week family vacation. They would just pick a portion of the country, like SE or SW Unitied States and off we go. Dad would special order his station wagon with the largest engine that you could stuff into it. The full service gas station guy, would be very surprised when he opened the hood to check the oil.

Thanks for sharing the photos.

Ok, Im old, I was 2 yrs old in one of those pics, and many in the range of 12 yrs old, omy, how time flys................but great pics.

The thought of some gas jockeys mucking around under my hood and with my tires makes me break out in a cold sweat.

Very different times, I guess.

Gotta remember there were still people to keep employed during prohibition and the depression years. To keep commodity (corn) prices up, a use for it had to be found........so gasahol. That pic is from Nebraska so there were a lot of Huskers to keep employed.

Anyways, I can remember when I was a kiddo back in the '60s, grand dad would pull up to the Texaco in his Olds Rocket and get a fillup with "Skychief"............for .30 a gallon. Regular gas was 24.9¢/gal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back