Tire quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over the last few years, I've had several sets of tires, on several vehicles. The tires have been of various makes (Kumho, Kelly, Goodyear, Michelin, etc), and almost invaribly I'll end up with one bad tire out of a set of 4. It doesn't seem to matter which tire brand, or vehicle they're on, one of the tires will develop a thump, a slipped belt, or in some way or another will end up being out of round, or will not balance properly. Has anyone else been having this problem?

I never used to get these problems in the past (5 years ago or longer), it just seems to be something that started within the last 5 years. I'm wondering if this is a quality control thing. I shouldn't have one out of 4 tires go bad with every set of tires I buy....25% of the tires going bad is completely unacceptable. Could there be a quality control issue with almost all of our tires being made overseas now? Something's going on and it ain't good....

Last edited:
Ive heard that the roads in OH have really gone down the tubes in recent years. No idea if that is the truth, the OH turnpike seems smooth enough... But I wonder if the roads you operate on come into play... Thinking out loud.

If tires last, people don't buy more. No matter how much you spend on a tire, plan on replacing them around 30k.
We are seeing an issue with all season tires also. All seasons are great for every season but winter now. Snow tires are a must, whereas they weren't always necessary.

I actually operate on roads in IN, IL, and MI as well as OH, and don't think the roads have anything to do with it...I think it has something to do with the way tires are made (poor quality)...and as much as tires cost these days (prices have gotten ridiculously high over the last few years), you'd think the quality would be much better...

Yes! Its always one bad egg that shows itself after 10-15k! Why I've gotten into the habit of cheaper tires replaced more often. Some may disagree with this, but I put a lot of miles on, and ride quality matters to me. By 30k the tires are junk from road debris or whatever so whether its a $150 tire or a $80 tire they end up the same. T rated tires have been the nicest ride, most reliable recently. The V rated tires all had problems. Not sure why that is. Cheaper = better? Wouldn't that be nice. But somethings up with the quality of these expensive tires.

Yes. I worked at a tire shop that had a "30 day ride guarantee" and we honored it-- sometimes taking back three out of four for out of roundness.

We also replaced a bunch of tires on AWD vehicles because one was a turkey and we didn't want to burn up the center diffs. Not sure about the money aspect or if the customer had to (angrily) pay.

Myself I run 4 used brands on 4 corners. I guess you can say I've given up.
smile.gif

I haven't had a bad tire out of the four sets I've bought in recent years. Two sets of Hankooks and two sets of Firestones.

You're not supposed to have more than 5.5 ounces of weights on each tire. I think. So if you see them with a ton of weights on the tire ask them to remount it or put another one on cause their is something wrong with it. My tires don't have anymore than about 1.75oz per tire.

I guess I'm buying the right tires as I don't really see that.

For two of our rides, they are on the Sam's Club BFG Touring T/A tires. Never experienced a bad tire in 6 (I think) sets of those.
(2 sets Geo Prizm, 2 sets Camry, 1 set Sienna, 1 set Altima)

Likewise for my 03 Protege5. I put Continentals on it and other than picking up a nail that went through the side wall (not the fault of the tire) they've been excellent in 16K of service since June 2012. In fact, the S for snow traction is still visible, but probably won't be for next year.

The set of factory Continentals on the Altima went over 65K miles without drama. Had good luck with three sets of Dunlop SP5000s on various cars.

On the other hand, I haven't had good luck with Goodyear. I bought the GEO with Goodyear tires (can't recall) and they were so so. The Goodyear Assurance tires that came on the Sienna were coming apart on the inside. (Thread here somewhere.)

But the Goodyears on the 2004 Vibe will probably make it through the summer and need replacement this fall.

But I wouldn't go as far as to say a 25% failure rate.

In the 50 years I've been purchasing tires I've only had two that were actually bad and had to be replaced, and that's been 15 or 20 years ago. I haven't had a problem with any of the tires I've purchased since then.

Originally Posted By: salv
If tires last, people don't buy more. No matter how much you spend on a tire, plan on replacing them around 30k.

Interesting. The set of Michelin Harmonys on our Subaru have somewhere slightly north of 80,000 miles on them. The tread is still good, and I won't replace them until the end of this summer. They probably could go further but they'll be 7 years old and I prefer to keep newer tires on my wifes' vehicle. How is it that I didn't have to replace them at 30,000 miles?

The Hankook H727's on my Elantra have just under 30,000 miles on them have lots of tread left. Will there be some sort of massive tread loss in the next couple thousand miles that will force me to replace them? Please tell me what I can expect to see that will make me replace them at your 30,000 mile mark?

We are seeing an issue with all season tires also. All seasons are great for every season but winter now. Snow tires are a must, whereas they weren't always necessary.

Both the Michelins on the Subaru and the H727's on the Elantra are all season tires and both performed extremely well in the snow this winter. I'm sure the all wheel drive helped the Subaru, but the Elantra certainly isn't all wheel drive. How is it that I didn't require snow tires, even though I drove on and in significant snow and ice? I haven't purchased dedicated snow tires for a car in the last 30 years or so.

25% failure rate is completely ludicrous.

1: You're a sample of 1 -not a nation wide sample.
2: Too many other factors: Road condition, the people who mount the tires, your driving, bad luck etc etc...

If anything, I would say the over all quality has improved -especially motorcycle tires. Some now have triple compound rubber (super soft/sticky on the outside for turns and hard on the inside for long distance wear)

I personally think many of the employees at certain shops are not trained well- and in my area (as I can't speak for the rest of the USA) has poor road quality.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
I guess I'm buying the right tires as I don't really see that.

For two of our rides, they are on the Sam's Club BFG Touring T/A tires. Never experienced a bad tire in 6 (I think) sets of those.
(2 sets Geo Prizm, 2 sets Camry, 1 set Sienna, 1 set Altima)

Likewise for my 03 Protege5. I put Continentals on it and other than picking up a nail that went through the side wall (not the fault of the tire) they've been excellent in 16K of service since June 2012. In fact, the S for snow traction is still visible, but probably won't be for next year.

The set of factory Continentals on the Altima went over 65K miles without drama. Had good luck with three sets of Dunlop SP5000s on various cars.

On the other hand, I haven't had good luck with Goodyear. I bought the GEO with Goodyear tires (can't recall) and they were so so. The Goodyear Assurance tires that came on the Sienna were coming apart on the inside. (Thread here somewhere.)

But the Goodyears on the 2004 Vibe will probably make it through the summer and need replacement this fall.

But I wouldn't go as far as to say a 25% failure rate.
+1 on the Sam's Club BFG which is a Michelin with "cosmetic" changes. I also have had good results from the Conti Ecotek series. Not a performance tire, though.

Must be you. No failures in the following:

2 sets of Goodyear ComforTred Touring
1 set of Michelin LTX M/S
1 set of Cooper Discoverer A/T3
1 set of Michelin Harmony
1 set of Michelin Agility
1 set of Goodyear Tracker 2
1 set of Goodyear Tracker

As the "cool looking" profiles get lower, tires don't resist "road hazards" as well. A 45 series tire can't tolerate a pothole like the ole 70 series. When you have about 2 inches of sidewall between the rim and the road, somethings gotta give.

You need to speak to my LTX's, they have ~60,000 miles on them now and this is their third winter.
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Yes! Its always one bad egg that shows itself after 10-15k! Why I've gotten into the habit of cheaper tires replaced more often. Some may disagree with this, but I put a lot of miles on, and ride quality matters to me. By 30k the tires are junk from road debris or whatever so whether its a $150 tire or a $80 tire they end up the same. T rated tires have been the nicest ride, most reliable recently. The V rated tires all had problems. Not sure why that is. Cheaper = better? Wouldn't that be nice. But somethings up with the quality of these expensive tires.

I totally agree, overpriced brands arent worth it for alot of people, as you can have 2 NEW sets of good tread in the span of one set of overpriced tires and get better value for the money.
Just have to find brands that are "fairly decent quality" for the money.

Although I've had these problems with the "private label" tires, most of my tire issues in a Major Brand, came from G/Y...slipped/broken belts, radial pull, uneven ware(even though the suspension/allignment are in good condition) thumping, etc.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

You need to speak to my LTX's, they have ~60,000 miles on them now and this is their third winter.
smirk.gif

Yeah, suppose I need a better car to go with better tires.
grin.gif
Seriously, its probably the old daily drivers I drive messing them up.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Ive heard that the roads in OH have really gone down the tubes in recent years. No idea if that is the truth, the OH turnpike seems smooth enough... But I wonder if the roads you operate on come into play... Thinking out loud.

I'd agree with this 100%. The turnpike actually cuts thru the city I live in. Horrible roads here. They do keep up on snow plowing and the city was voted the safest one of its size in Ohio and ranked #21 safest in the country. Lots of resources for the police here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back