Ouch! Michelin Destroyed Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somebody driving a load of steel (that was not adequately secured) dropped a 15 to 20 foot long 4" or 6" wide I-Beam on the freeway today. I missed it with the front tire, but not with the rear--the beam was sliding and glanced off the rear passenger wheel and tire. I suppose we (the people in the vicinity when it happened) are just lucky no one was killed.

I have road hazard and so it only cost me $38 to purchase another road hazard certificate (no pro-rating with Discount Tire) and I was out the door with a brand new one. 20" Michelins are not cheap, BUT with 46,000 miles on it, there was still 8/32" out of 12/32" tread remaining.
crazy.gif

83026010151456764612311.jpg

I did not have a chance; we were all driving at 65-70 and it happened so quickly and the tire went down so fast, I had to rapidly maneuver to the shoulder out of traffic to change it.

It seems to happen nearly daily in Houston; the morons bundle a stack of I-Beams, but do not cinch it tight enough and the center beams "wiggle" out. I have heard that California law forces the trucks to use safety nets at the rear of the truck to prevent this stuff.

Originally Posted By: mikered30
What was the fine for the driver or didnt he stop?

He never looked back; I can only hope one of the other drivers reported him.

Look into any possible problems of only replacing one tire, instead of both back tires. In a rear wheel drive vehicle when the outside diameter of the two tires are different the inside of the rear end is constantly being exposed to differences as if the vehicle were going around a bend.

With a limited slip rear-end that will wear out the clutches.

With a rear end that just as gears to drive both tires, it is not that big a deal on the rear end, but can still result in the vehicle not maintaining complete control during a panic stop on wet roads (or on snow covered roads, not a real concern in Texas).

Yeah I detest those sleazeballs who feel they need to be hauling some trailer that`s either not properly secured or feel they need to excede the speed limit and/or drive in the fast/passing lane. If I were a cop,that`d be an instant ticket and I`d try to find other stuff for a possible arrest.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
Look into any possible problems of only replacing one tire, instead of both back tires. In a rear wheel drive vehicle when the outside diameter of the two tires are different the inside of the rear end is constantly being exposed to differences as if the vehicle were going around a bend.

With a limited slip rear-end that will wear out the clutches.

With a rear end that just as gears to drive both tires, it is not that big a deal on the rear end, but can still result in the vehicle not maintaining complete control during a panic stop on wet roads (or on snow covered roads, not a real concern in Texas).

My rear end is ELD and we are talking 4/32" (1/8" or is it 1/4" for both sides?) difference in the OD--that could be made up with varying air pressure. I am not sure that it will create that much of a problem--right?

Originally Posted By: tarbasd
It's not only the tire. Your wheel is also dented. Hopefully it is only cosmetic.

It was a small dent on the rim and DT filed out part of it and smoothed it. After washing the truck and wheels, it appears to be more of a small chip in the wheel than a dent.

However, nothing that I can do about it now; unless the wheel becomes an issue, I will just live with the dent.

Man, that's scary stuff. Glad to hear you weren't hurt.

BTW, anxiously awaiting your next MS5K report. Love that oil!!

Originally Posted By: JavierG
Man, that's scary stuff. Glad to hear you weren't hurt.

BTW, anxiously awaiting your next MS5K report. Love that oil!!

Thanks! I am at 7200 on the way to 10,000. I have been in my company's "air force" lately and have not been driving a great deal. I have a road trip coming up though and it should push me over 10K
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Ouch, glad youre safe.

Thanks JH; I was really worried about running over the thing at 65ish--it was sliding as I was going past it. I am not sure how that would have ended.

Originally Posted By: [RT
ProjUltraZ]that is lucky. maybe alignment might be affected

It was the rear, but I am due for one soon anyway.

A similar thing happened to my daughter - a steel ramp fell off a tow truck. Bounced and hit her tire on the side setting off the side seat airbag and curtain airbag (not front)............ at 65 mph on busy freeway. She was unhurt but shaken. $4800 insurance payment - no mechanical damage, all interior stuff - leather seat, airbags, headliner, etc. Lucky kid and smart enough to not swerve.

EDIT - did do a 4 wheel alignment just to be sure.

Last edited:
Was this on the North or East Loop? I have been close to, or nearly involved in, some very scary experiences. I most definitely know what you are talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back