Ammunition

Status
Not open for further replies.
So where has all the ammunition gone? I tried to buy one box of 9mm and one box of 44 magnum this morning and was told that is limited to one box per person. So I have to choose which gun I want to use. The shelves were almost empty but I can't believe that manufacturing has ceased.

DOD is clearly driving up demand, and DHS and other government agencies have placed large orders for ammo (1.6 billion rounds from DHS), couple those factors with the talk of firearms laws and demand has exploded...leaving shortages, price gouging, etc...

Originally Posted By: Astro14
DOD is clearly driving up demand, and DHS and other government agencies have placed large orders for ammo (1.6 billion rounds from DHS), couple those factors with the talk of firearms laws and demand has exploded...leaving shortages, price gouging, etc...

Agreed, and IMO these large orders by govt. agencies are a calculated strategy to induce shortages and price inflation for citizens.

I stocked up on .22 for plinking and .40 for home defense before Christmas and now neither have been available at Wal-Mart or Cabelas for weeks. Scary

Welcome to December. I haven't been able to find any .223 for my new AR, all the .223 I have was what the store owner spotted me. Feel like an idiot for not cleaning WalMart out of .223 months ago.

I saw the old 500 round bricks of .22 ammo yestersay for $30...and the shelf was clean. Guy sold some he bought out in the parking lot for $60 a box!!! There is no 9mm to be had in central PA that I can find nor is there any .223. This is true at all local WalMarts and at the Grice Gun shop on Sunday.

At two local gun shops, the line to buy handguns was well over a hundred this past weekend. Semi-auto rifles are also going as fast as they come into the stores. All the stupid governmant [censored] has done has caused an enormous sale of hand weapons and semi-auto rifles (not that there is anything wrong with that) but it is the exact opposite of what they said there goal is.

My local place has a sign up from Hornady. They stated that production was up 50x, and they were working around the clock to produce finished ammunition. Reloading supplies have taken a back burner.

I was surprised at how nasty it got. We had somebody on here that was buying up ammunition in calibers that he didn't own; boxes of 22 were selling for $90. Gander Mountain prices went up overnight and all sales fliers were no longer honored. Glock 19s were selling for $500 in November and $800 in February. I figured southern hospitality and small town generosity would have held out.

I was sent this this AM. I have not researched if this is true.

You may not know this but George Soros owns most of the ammunition manufacturing companies and many arms manufacturers as well. He's selling ONLY to the government right now, per WH & DHS orders. My son works for ATK, who owns just about all the rest of the ammunition companies that Soros doesn't own. He tells me that ATK has been ordered by the federal government to curtail sales of ammunition, primers and powder to the
retail market.

What you see currently on the shelves is old stock and
what's left in the warehouses since the CT shootings and new stock will NOT be appearing anytime soon. ATK and Soros' companies have more than enough government contracts to keep them going for years to come. Like Soros' companies, ATK is a huge defense contractor and they've been told to sell ONLY to the DOD, TSA, FBI, DHS and local/federal law enforcement agencies. This is VERY scary and VERY ominous for what's coming down the pike in the future.

My son has seen the proposed pricing schedule for Federal, CCI, Hornady,Remington, Winchester and several other ammunition manufacturer's lines of ammunition, components, reloading equipment (ATK owns Outers, RCBS, Hoppe and a host of others) and he's flabbergasted! As an example, when the sales of .22 LR bulk ammo resumes, the pricing will be over $50.00 for a 535-round Value Pak! That's nearly a dime-a-shot!! They're also going to raise the prices by 300 - 400% on dies, presses, powder measures and the like. He's in management there at ATK in Salt Lake City and they're NOT happy with it at all! They firmly believe this will basically shut-down the civilian market while leaving the government as the only purchaser of their products. He saw the government pricing for the centerfire ammunition they've been stockpiling and their prices have actually dropped
from a year ago so the feds are buying this stuff REAL cheap while we can't even get our hands on it at all!

Feel free to pass this on so gun owners will be aware of what we're up against. I doubt the NRA can do anything about it, IMHO. La Pierre can get on all the talk shows he's invited to and cry the blues about the assault weapons laws that are forthcoming from the WH but the real crux of the matter will be whether or not we'll ever be able to purchase ammunition (at all) or, if we can, what we'll be paying for it. As an
aside, here, I deal a LOT with Midsouth Shooters Supply for my reloading components. Two weeks ago I ordered 500 cases each of .45 Casull, .44 Magnum, .357 Magnum and 9mm Parabellum. I was told everything I had ordered was out-of-stock and no in-stock delivery date was being forecast.
They wouldn't even accept a backorder for this stuff! Think the
government isn't manipulating it? Think again, my friend..

Originally Posted By: Boomer
..........All the stupid governmant [censored] has done has caused an enormous sale of hand weapons and semi-auto rifles (not that there is anything wrong with that) but it is the exact opposite of what they said there goal is.

I'm not aware of anything the government has done that could have this effect.

Please elaborate. Have they passed any new laws that I'm unawaare of?

Originally Posted By: Lakersguy
Think the government isn't manipulating it? Think again, my friend..

Originally Posted By: mrplavick
Agreed, and IMO these large orders by govt. agencies are a calculated strategy to induce shortages and price inflation for citizens.

I stocked up on .22 for plinking and .40 for home defense before Christmas and now neither have been available at Wal-Mart or Cabelas for weeks. Scary

par·a·noi·a

Suspicion and mistrust of people or their actions without evidence or justification.

Last edited:
.22 ammo here has not been really a problem other than being allowed One Brick or box of 550 rounds, etc., at Acadamy Sports and Outdoors. 9MM ammo too has not been a real problem but limited again to a box of 50 rounds.

They have it most but not all the time. Wall-Marts here are spotty too but do often have .22 bricks.

Big problem is that people are hoarding it kind of like the toilet paper hoarding several years ago about the time that gasoline was in scarce supply too back in the early 1970s.

People were filling up 5 gallon cans, etc., and hoarding gas which only made the shortage more intense.

Same goes for ammo. In a few months things should improve for ammo but we may see higher prices in the mix.

Originally Posted By: suspiciousmind
Originally Posted By: Boomer
..........All the stupid governmant [censored] has done has caused an enormous sale of hand weapons and semi-auto rifles (not that there is anything wrong with that) but it is the exact opposite of what they said there goal is.

Since the word was censored, I am certain he meant debate...and the debate has certainly caused a spike in demand for weapons...there's no arguing that point...talk to any gun manufacturer, any gun retailer, anyone who's even set foot in a gun store since December, we've all seen the dramatic increase in demand, particularly for high-capacity magazines, 9mm handguns, and of course, AR-15 platform rifles, but the surging demand has crossed over into all calibers, all guns...

My local gun shop guy told me this morning that the TSA just placed an order of 1 billion rounds (caliber?). Doubt that this is true, but who knows?

Originally Posted By: HM12460
My local gun shop guy told me this morning that the TSA just placed an order of 1 billion rounds (caliber?). Doubt that this is true, but who knows?

TSA would generally use .40S&W or 9mm. However I wouldn't be surprised if they used .223, .308, or .50BMG as well.

If the government buying is the reason for the shortage, why can't I buy .22 ammo? Is the gov't stocking up for rabbit hunting?

Originally Posted By: whip
If the government buying is the reason for the shortage, why can't I buy .22 ammo? Is the gov't stocking up for rabbit hunting?

The ammunition manufacturers have to concentrate on the orders, and currently they have more orders for .223, .308 etc vs .22lr.

Originally Posted By: HM12460

It was DHS, not TSA.

Originally Posted By: whip

Even if the ammo factories could run 24/7, there is only so much raw material out there at any given time and the ammo factories only buy so far in advance.

With demand spikes like right now, laying their hands on massive quantities of valuable metals in short order, at prices they want to pay, isn't the easiest thing.

I believe the federal government owns at least one facility that makes most of the ammo for the military. Law enforcement ammo is probably not made there, and they will get first dibs over civilian sales.

Originally Posted By: suspiciousmind

They have a lot more money to spend on ammo and are using that ability to squeeze civilians out of the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back