Moth balls in gas tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried naphthalene mothballs many years ago in my old '65 Coronet 383-4V. Couldn't feel any difference (it seemed to go like a rocket no matter what) but I do know that- at least for a couple of days- the idle was substantially smoother. One could hear the mothballs roll around in there, though, even with that thing being as LOUD as it was!

quote:

Originally posted by Volvohead:
Back then, it was moth balls in the gas and Bon Ami down the carb.

But I'm not sure I'd try either on a modern engine.

I wouldn't even try it in a vintage engine.

The napthalene in moth balls supposedly has a big effect on diesel engines, similar to propane. I havn't seen it first hand but a friend of mine is an "old trucker" and he said some guys used moth balls for extra power to climb through the mountains.

quote:

Originally posted by kenw:
"Honey, I'm pulling into the station, could you google some instructions for me on your blackberry?"

I have a more positive outlook on the future. You see, I'm looking forward to Skynet taking over and Terminators roaming the wasted surface of the Earth, killing every living thing. Yeah, yeah, I know... I'm an optimist.

grin.gif

ANYWAY, that site has to be a joke site. It can't be real. It's impossible. Read through all the tips. "Tip 47: Hose down everything with Silicone spray. EVERYTHING. I mean rubber, plastic, SERPENTINE BELTS, SEATS, YOUR WIFE, THE NEIGHBOR'S CAT, EVERYTHING ****IT!"

quote:

Originally posted by Volvohead:

quote:

Originally posted by Ray:
Here is a link: http://www.georgenitta.com/mothballs/mothballs.htm

lol.gif

I can't wait to get my own radio show after I name all my favorite parts and chemicals!

quote:

Moth Balls

Moth Balls can be used to increase the octane rating of the gasoline your are using. The higher octane not only increases power, but will also increase gas mileage. The ratio is 5 moth balls for every 1 gallon of gasoline. Place moth balls in gas tank before fueling the car. Also add 1ounce of WD40 per gallon of gasoline. This will help remove water from the gasoline and make it ignite better.

I don't know about his car, but the fuel filler cap on mine says gasoline, not "dump any old crap in here"
grin.gif

Originally posted by kingrob:
[QB] Mothballs work great in any engine- you can get up to 17 extra mpg.

More performance tips:

Replace brake fluid and power steering fluid with Amsoil 5w30.

Always run your car a quart low on oil, it gives it better combustion.

Replace antifreeze with a 50/50 mix of Crisco and vinegar.

Keep only 15 psi in your tires during the winter - another extra 5 mpg.

Use honeybee honey as a premium car wax (clearcoat safe).

My father told me of a guy he knew in the 30's that used to claim great benefits from 'waxing' your car with motor oil.

I've heard that one to, from my great grandpa (another 1930's creative genius). He also used brake fluid to clean the dash and bacon grease as a gasket sealant. His oft-quoted motto was "The first thing to do when you buy a new car is throw the owners manual out the window".

Hey Slider- maybe the guy your father knew in the thirties was my great-grandfather! He was a salesman that travelled all over the US and Canada. If it wasn't for the fact that he passed away several years back I'd swear he was the one coming up with all this internet misinformation.

Some of you need to quit laughing and look at the facts. The old naphthalene moth balls should increase the octane rating just like toluene, which in some cases will increase mileage.

quote:

Originally posted by labman:
Some of you need to quit laughing and look at the facts. The old naphthalene moth balls should increase the octane rating just like toluene, which in some cases will increase mileage.

I don't think anyone said pure napthalene didn't do this. I'm not including potential issues with long term use of napthalene mothballs, because I don't know anyone who has done this often in a modern vehicle. But it doesn't even matter, as we're talking about mothballs in the year 2005. Many mothballs use paradichlorobenzene instead of naphthalene. So people heeding his "advice" may well be throwing that in their tank instead. Did you even read all his "tips"? Some of them are real winners.

quote:

Back then, it was moth balls in the gas and Bon Ami down the carb.

But I'm not sure I'd try either on a modern engine.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wouldn't even try it in a vintage engine.

It has been mentioned on this board that at one point a scouring cleanser was some manufacturers worst case cure for rings that would not seat. I don't remember how it was applied, but running it through the bearings in the oil doesn't sound like a good idea so maybe they did dissolve it in gas and pour it down the carb.

quote:

Can I get a cost benifit study on this, Herb?

My gut response was based on today's moth balls.

Paraquat is an effective weed smoking deterent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back