What American "think" the distribution is vs..

Status
Not open for further replies.
interesting... I would like to see some actual dollar numbers. Like in 1976 the poorest 10% made X amt of money and today they make X. Are they better on now than they were in 1976?

Now show the chart on the distribution of government benefits, including things like EIC, and which groups are over-represented...

Remember that this is showing wealth, not income distribution.

And, since you, as an engineer, are in that top 20%, please let us know how much of your wealth should be taken to "fix" that distribution...

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
interesting... I would like to see some actual dollar numbers. Like in 1976 the poorest 10% made X amt of money and today they make X. Are they better on now than they were in 1976?

Agreed. The definition of "poor" seems to be evolving. Some of today's poorest run around with smartphones and iPads.

Typical redistribution propaganda.

Redo the tax code so all folks pay the SAME rate, and then the wealthy will pay a huge amount more than the poor do because of their "outrageous" income.

You simply cannot do a "Robin Hood" and redistribute this so called excessive income!

The distribution of wealth in many other countries is actually far worse but I'm only worried about the US.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Redo the tax code so all folks pay the SAME rate, and then the wealthy will pay a huge amount more than the poor do because of their "outrageous" income.

The poor already don't pay any taxes. Instead, they get tax refunds. Imagine their outrage if they actually had to pay the same rate as the rich.

Great point Steve, would be very interesting to see what it looks like in other nations...

Why should those that are successful be forced to finance those that either cannot be successful or choose not to be?

I imagine "wealth" is net worth and not income? Then this really isn't a fair representation of the day to day finances it represents itself as. Obviously the top 1% have more money to save than the bottom 1%, better retirement, homeownership... etc.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Agreed. The definition of "poor" seems to be evolving. Some of today's poorest run around with smartphones and iPads.

+ 16,500,000,000,000 !!!

Typical redistribution propaganda.

Are you suggesting that the information is not true, or taking issue with how it's presented?

The distribution of wealth in many other countries is actually far worse but I'm only worried about the US.

I think it's quite telling that the only way our income distribution looks vaguely okay is when it's compared to that of third world nations. Virtually all of the developed world is doing much, much better than we are in this respect.

Originally Posted By: Turk
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

+ 16,500,000,000,000 !!!

crackmeup2.gif
I see what you did there!

I think what it suggests is ignorant and myopic, but I have to admit it's hilarious.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Why should those that are successful be forced to finance those that either cannot be successful or choose not to be?

They will be paying out either way. The question is whether they should finance schools and food stamps, or police and prisons.

The poor and rich pay the exact same tax rate on the same sum of money.

What is unfair?

What is unfair is to imagine that we can all somehow have the same amount of imagined "wealth".

It'll never happen. This is just another piece of political leverage to be used for or against whatever you want. Virtually constitutes trolling IMO.

You can actually hear the derision in the narrator's voice. Those nasty rich people!

Originally Posted By: genynnc
before this gets out of hand... may I add:

Pinning the difference between the First World and the Third World on one single factor is a bit of a stretch, don't you think?

Absolutely

What is unfair is to imagine that we can all somehow have the same amount of imagined "wealth".

How is that "imagine". Is wealth not considered wealth or income in holding company not considered income now? The number is there. Everyone is entitle to his or her own opinion, you and I included.

Quote:
It'll never happen. This is just another piece of political leverage to be used for or against whatever you want. Virtually constitutes trolling IMO.

You can actually hear the derision in the narrator's voice. Those nasty rich people!

Do you even know what I want? I'm not pro robinhood style social justice nor am I pro handing out money to all people unemployed.

I'm merely not feeling that the 47% of people who aren't paying taxes are fair to be blamed for not paying taxes. I'm against the so called "flat tax" or the theory or "people are too lazy and not motivated". I'm also against people not mentioning "luck" when they are "successful" in their lives, but it's always about "hard working".

Unless you consider born into a clan 5 generations later a "success" and "hard working".

Last edited:
First video is accurate, not sure what the disagreement is about. Unless we have a bunch of people here who are sure they will make it to that 1% someday (I've known a lot of people like this. None have made it to the "rich" group even).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back