ATTN: 2nd Gen MDX owners!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious to what you guys are using in your 07-2013 Acura MDXs..

I recently learned that both local dealers don't use OEM Honda/Acura oil. But instead contract with Chevron lube.

I have 0 issues doing oil changes on my own. I've been going to the dealer assuming they used Honda/Acura oil plus entering the info for my VIN so it shows regular/routine oil changes. But now im having second thoughts. I don't know anyone that "chooses" to use chevron oils.

So what do you guys think? Should I continue going to the dealer since the vehicle is "fine"? Should I try something typical over the counter, or should I order up some Honda/Acura oils?

Which Chevron? If they are using Chevron Supreme, relax, this is a high quality, Tier 1 conventional oil. Just service it accordingly.

I use 0w-20 Mobil1, have been for 60000miles
01.gif

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Which Chevron? If they are using Chevron Supreme, relax, this is a high quality, Tier 1 conventional oil. Just service it accordingly.

+1 Chevron Supreme is an excellent conventional oil. No worries with that in your engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Indydriver

so.... i just looked up info on Cheveron Supreme... I'm impressed by what the BITOG crowd has to say.

Originally Posted By: gtoracer
01.gif

My issue with that is im sitting on 82k, im not comfy changing over against MFG suggestion to synth.. As much as id rather use synth.

01.gif

0w-20? the 2007-2013 MDX are only spec 5w-20. in fact all j37 are spec 5w-20..

Originally Posted By: gogozy
01.gif

I don't know of a really good reason not to use 0W-20 where a 5W-20 is spec'd [of course warranty but even then I think it'd be difficult to prove that using a 0W-20 instead of the recommended 5W-20 caused engine related failures], except perhaps for cost as most 0W-20 is synthetic which is more costly than the abundance of quality conventional 5W-20. At operating temp, most 0W-20 have about the same cSt as their counterpart 5W-20 and from what I gather on this forum over the years is that a 0W will get to your critical engine parts faster than a 5W all things considered. Someone please correct any misinformation I may have here as I'm going off the top of my head on what I've read on here over the years.

Your dealer has a contract with Chevron for oil; our local Honda dealers happen to contract with Valvoline. Ask 5 different dealers what they use and you'll get 6 different answers.

I'd use a good quality 0W-20. I'm currently using Mobil 1 0W-30 in our 3.5L MDX, but will likely go back to Mobil 1 0W-20 on the next oil change.

Originally Posted By: ChrisW
Originally Posted By: gogozy
01.gif

I don't know of a really good reason not to use 0W-20 where a 5W-20 is spec'd [of course warranty but even then I think it'd be difficult to prove that using a 0W-20 instead of the recommended 5W-20 caused engine related failures], except perhaps for cost as most 0W-20 is synthetic which is more costly than the abundance of quality conventional 5W-20. At operating temp, most 0W-20 have about the same cSt as their counterpart 5W-20 and from what I gather on this forum over the years is that a 0W will get to your critical engine parts faster than a 5W all things considered. Someone please correct any misinformation I may have here as I'm going off the top of my head on what I've read on here over the years.

true; I agree and believe that performance of 5w20 lubricant shall be covered under area of 0w20. but Honda/Acura had spec and back spec almost all their vehicles for 0w20, except a few like J37 equipped cars. 0w20 probably wouldn't hurt, just want to point out Acura did not agree so on their publications.

On our 09 TL we used Penzoil Plat and plan to use the same on our new 2013 MDX we just got. When maint is due we take the oil to the dealer.

Originally Posted By: Kaie
Just curious to what you guys are using in your 07-2013 Acura MDXs..

I recently learned that both local dealers don't use OEM Honda/Acura oil. But instead contract with Chevron lube.

I have 0 issues doing oil changes on my own. I've been going to the dealer assuming they used Honda/Acura oil plus entering the info for my VIN so it shows regular/routine oil changes. But now im having second thoughts. I don't know anyone that "chooses" to use chevron oils.

So what do you guys think? Should I continue going to the dealer since the vehicle is "fine"? Should I try something typical over the counter, or should I order up some Honda/Acura oils?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back