Nissan Frontier Radiator cross contamination issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any radiator experts out there?
Many of you may know Nissan had a issue with 05-10 Frontiers, Pathfinders, and Xterra's having the transmission cooler portion of the radiator fail allowing trans fluid to mix with the coolant.

My buddy has a 08 Frontier that has not had the issue ,but we want to repalce the radiator to prevent it from happening.

Any reccomendations on which radiator to go with? Supposedly 11 and beyond models are unaffected. My friend wants to just grab a radiator from Advance Auto Parts.

The afftermarket companys generally duplicate the OEM unit with maybe a couple of corners cut right? Ultimately do you guys think a parts chain radiator will have the updates to prevent the cross contamination? Thanks.

Last edited:
Some Hondas share this problem (which doesn't help their reputation for poor transmissions...). On the Hondas, the fitting that attaches to the radiator begins to rust, and if that rust spreads far enough, it can allow the fluids to comingle.

Do you know the mechanism by which this happens in the Nissan? It may be a case where you can liberally coat the area on a new radiator with rust-preventative paint (if it's not already been done).

I plan to eventually replace our MDX's radiator for this reason, but the rusting is very minimal right now.

I'll try to find out if there has been an updated part to correct this issue. If there is, you could purchase a new OEM radiator rather than chance an aftermarket part. You could also bypass the radiator's transmission cooler and opt to install an auxiliary cooler too, though that will slow warm-up of the transmission and wouldn't be ideal I think.

when i needed a radiator for my Sub, I just bought the cheapest out there. it was like $50 shipped. I was all ready for bad workmanship and such, but when it arrived, it was a work of art. everything was there and all the fitting fit.

I would just go online, find the cheapest one shipped and go for it.

Chinese qaulity has gone up quite a bit in the past few years

I own a 2004 Xterra and read about this issue when I started researching the ins and outs of Xterras.

The easiest fix is to pull the transmission coolant lines and put in an axillary cooler. If you are good at electrical work in cars you can get an axillary cooler that is larger than what you need and install a switch for an attached fan. Not many folks tow with an Xterra, but I've seen it done.

It would take longer to warm up the trans, but you could add a magnifine filter to give a better filtration system, and end up with a better cooler for your transmission.

That being said, oil in your coolant system isn't that much of a problem. Coolant in your Transmission is a HUGE problem.

The issue with the radiator is that Nissan didn't throughly research the plastics and the glues that they were using. And the Coolants have a chemistry that attacks that glues that keep the section that cools the antifreeze away from the section that cools the transmission fluid.

I'd recommend you guys fix this pronto. Any "new" radiator should prevent this from happening.
From what I've it can kill a transmission quick.

Yeah these trucks actually come with a nice size external trans cooler stock ,and quite a few have bypassed. I don't really want to do that as it can get pretty cold here during the winter months.

Some say Nissan updated the latest ones ,but time will tell , and they didn't do a good job with the 1st one so I don't want to give them $543 for something that shouldn't have been a issue to begin with.

But yeah the tranny cooler tube in the radiator breaks apart inside the radiator so nothing can be done to prevent it.

Last edited:
this is the brand i got for my Subaru

here is the app for a frontier

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Nissan/Frontier/CSF/Radiator/2008/SE/4_Cyl_2-dot-5L/CSF3195.html?tlc=Engine+%26+Drivetrain

Originally Posted By: Anthony
Yeah these trucks actually come with a nice size external trans cooler stock ,and quite a few have bypassed. I don't really want to do that as it can get pretty cold here during the winter months.

Some say Nissan updated the latest ones ,but time will tell , and they didn't do a good job with the 1st one so I don't want to give them $543 for something that shouldn't have been a issue to begin with.

But yeah the tranny cooler tube in the radiator breaks apart inside the radiator so nothing can be done to prevent it.

Count me in as one of the few that have bypassed at no cost! And it takes about 5 minutes to do. 70K miles later, I keep happily motoring along with no issues!
19.gif

I hope your friend did it for free, I think there is recall on that.
My dad has 06 2.5L frontier with 5 speed. Good truck so far (120k miles, only had some little minor issues since new. Now it sits in garage, since we don't need it everyday.

Originally Posted By: MBS500
I hope your friend did it for free, I think there is recall on that.

It's a warranty extension, not a proactive recall, unfortunately.

Originally Posted By: Donald
How can rust on the outside of a radiator cause cross contamination?

I don't know about the Nissan application, but with the Honda, rust will penetrate into the fitting on the inside of the radiator. Since the interior is essentially in a bath of coolant, once that breaks through, you have coolant mixing with transmission fluid.

I'd just bypass the radiator cooler and use the factory trans cooler (if equipped), or buy a trans cooler and install to bypass the radiator cooler. Lot easier than replacing a radiator.

ATF in the coolant doesn't bother me. Coolant in the ATF gets expensive quick.

Last edited:
My friend just traded his pathfinder because of coolant in the transmission, just out of warranty. The whole thing was falling apart and guzzling fuel, and he was glad to be rid of it.

I've heard both:

1) Don't run ONLY an aftermarket cooler because the transmission fluid will never get to proper temperture (excepting an add-in thermostat obviously). In other words, it can run too cool.

2) Don't run ONLY an aftermarket cooler because an air-to-fluid cooler isn't as efficient as a fluid-to-fluid cooler and you could overheat your fluid. In other words, it can run too hot.

Which is more correct?

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I've heard both:

1) Don't run ONLY an aftermarket cooler because the transmission fluid will never get to proper temperture (excepting an add-in thermostat obviously). In other words, it can run too cool.

2) Don't run ONLY an aftermarket cooler because an air-to-fluid cooler isn't as efficient as a fluid-to-fluid cooler and you could overheat your fluid. In other words, it can run too hot.

Which is more correct?

Technically i would say 1 is closer to the truth depending on outside temps.
The radiator itself is a air to liquid cooler and it does okay. No issues IMO.

One more thought..
Modern engines run much hotter than years ago, many times the fans wont even kick on till 225f so it may in fact be heating the trans fluid hotter than need be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back