Mag 1 Dexos

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a quote from 'Customer Reviews' on Amazon:

"Don't let the bottle and label fool you. The back label says API SM, SN, SL. At 90+% groupIII content this is the cheapest, quality "synthetic" on the market. The TBN around 8 is a little weak and Calcium around 1700 also a little weak. But at
I think you would be fine using this oil in a dexos1 required GM vehicle if you stay within the OLM. Having said that, QSUD is similarly priced in the 5 qt. jug at WM and it is an awesome oil.

Originally Posted By: pbm

"Don't let the bottle and label fool you. The back label says API SM, SN, SL. At 90+% groupIII content this is the cheapest, quality "synthetic" on the market. The TBN around 8 is a little weak and Calcium around 1700 also a little weak. But at
I think you would be fine using this oil in a dexos1 required GM vehicle if you stay within the OLM. Having said that, QSUD is similarly priced in the 5 qt. jug at WM and it is an awesome oil.

Basestock percentage and additive quantity is hardly the end all be all. If it meets a specification it speaks for itself imo. None of the "meets or exceed" language, but actual certifications. If I had a new GM I wouldn't think twice about running this oil.

Originally Posted By: pbm

I think we have a "mole" in the bookstore.
lol.gif

Weird thing is it says synthetic nowhere on the bottle.
Got a case in my basement now.

Fyi, I finally found a flashpoint for Mag1 Dexos. Its 226. That doesnt seem too bad. I had to look at the msds to get the info. Couldnt find it in any of their literature.

The reason I was intrigued by Mag 1 Dexos is its (apparent) great value. I'll just keep using what I have been using (M1 5w30) before switching to QSUD, they cost the same.

From Mag1.com the maker said full synthetic. Also msds confirms groupIII baseoil. Also Amazon has 6 pk now for $20.8 latest price.

"MAG 1 dexos1™ Motor Oil is a state of the art, advanced technology, full synthetic motor oil"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back