Threaded Oil Funnel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ordered one today for my Toyota vehicles,they are also available for other vehicle brands, like Honda/ Nissan and Subaru.. Did a google shopping search bought the cheapest price and paid $17.99 + $4.99 shipping. NOTE: gave the link I bought from to show the funnel but they are available all over the internet, I don't want to be accused being a spammer.

It's been a pain to pour from a 5 qt or 4 qt container.

Amazon reviews got a 5 out of 5 by 12 reviewers.
Features:
• Made in the U.S.A.
• Made of durable ABS plastic
• No more mess
• Attaches and seals to the valve cover
• Fits all Toyota, Lexus, and Scion models that have a threaded oil cap (except Prius), also fits Pontiac Vibe with Toyota motor
LINK http://www.mechanicstoolsandbits.com/toy...CFQwFnQodA38ANQ

Last edited:
It would be cool to combine one of those with one of these so you can walk away from the car and get every drop out of every bottle.

Originally Posted By: ronbo
It's been a pain to pour from a 5 qt or 4 qt container

Get a bigger funnel.
No offense but $23 for a oil funnel is like throwing out the window for most people.

Originally Posted By: Trav

Get a bigger funnel.
No offense but $23 for a oil funnel is like throwing out the window for most people.

I've been aware of the funnel for awhile and yes it's expensive but worth the investment to me. Also I concur with all the comment about it on AMAZON. I'll just amortize the price ever time I'll use it, price/usage=.

I get my oil dirty cheap on sale with rebates and do my own work, so the $23 price doesn't bother me.

Here why I won't follow your suggestion for a larger funnel. Toyota 2.4L broken oil baffle problem. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XRfRxJN7Eg

Last edited:
He says overly aggressive oil changers. LOL
I don't know i have done a lot of OC on Toyota's with this engine and never had a problem holding the funnel long enough to pour a gallon of oil in.

Each to his own, its not my money. LOL

Originally Posted By: Trav

Get a bigger funnel.

You're probably right for a lot of people, but the baffles on some vehicles are so close to the fill hole most funnels won't fit without toppling over. For those applications, the $23 might be money well spent.

If one considers money saved changing their own oil I think it makes great sense to spend a few bucks making it safer/cleaner/more fun! This sounds like a good investment.

There is no issue pouring a 5 qt Walmart jug directly into the filler of a 2AZ-FE no funnel. Its a 4qt sump, take the extra quart out in advance. That allows the jug to tip properly to pour. Removing the extra quart in advance means a straight pour, no measuring so in addition to being able to tip it speeds up the process.

Also that video - don't be scared of that. The oil baffle/splash guard is pretty tough. He's the only one I've ever heard of or seen experience that. You can cut/bend and break that metal piece off the oil baffle if you want to.

The cheapest solution if you really want a funnel is trim off the bottom of a cheap plastic funnel. If you cut enough off, it will rest on the filler neck without touching the baffle. I made one but don't use it because its easy to pour the jug 1 qt removed.

Last edited:
Also, you can cut a 1/2 gallon milk jug in half and flip it over. Won't hit.
FY79DHWWOGEP27Y922.MEDIUM.jpg

Most oil bottles, if you cut off the bottom, the top part will screw into my oil filler hole on my Tacoma. And the new bottle will fit in it to drain completely, while you drink your favorite beverage.

What the guy meant by overly aggressive..

is:

The quicky change guys that have the metal "fuel pump" type oil dispensers.

you can imagine jamming a gas pump nozzle in there could damage the baffle...

I never thought of pouring oil was that messy of a job, IF a funnel was used.

But to get every last bit of sealing on the cap flange seems a bit excessive to me personally, especially for $18.

I like the concept, but not the price. I know the standard small mouth funnels pour slow, so I use a "radiator funnel", which helps to catch the oil while not creating an orifice that limits flow.

Originally Posted By: Hermann
Most oil bottles, if you cut off the bottom, the top part will screw into my oil filler hole on my Tacoma. And the new bottle will fit in it to drain completely, while you drink your favorite beverage.

Great idea thanks! Going downstairs to experiment. I have quarts and different shaped 5 qt jugs I saved for something, maybe this is the something. Like this????
oil_bottle_as_funnel.jpg

Looks good to me. The threads on the oil bottle screw right into my filler hole just like the cap does.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Originally Posted By: Hermann

Great idea thanks! Going downstairs to experiment. I have quarts and different shaped 5 qt jugs I saved for something, maybe this is the something. Like this????
oil_bottle_as_funnel.jpg

That funnel in the pic and a cut off MMO bottle is what I use. Both make great funnels.

Ronbo,

What year Toyota do you have? I have a 98 Sienna and the oil fill is a real pain. I'm not sure if this filter would do the trick for me. Maybe I need to macgiver something.

Regards, JC.

I had been using liquid bottles with the bottom cut off, oil or ATF or soft drink ..., to use as funnel for many years. They are better than most funnels because of wider mouth therefore all fluid passing through faster with no spill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back