Flat Band Hose Clamp Pliers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I would share this with you all. These pliers work very well on those flat spring type clamps on GM, Chrysler (and others). Adjust to any angle and lock in position to easily remove clamp. These would have saved me a lot of cussin'.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kobalt-Flat-Band...=item4d086989a9

Just thought of this, but this is not my auction, and don't really know if it's acceptable to post links like this. I'm not selling anything, just thought these are a great invention.

Last edited:
Would have saved me a few busted knuckles. If you buy them can I borrow them?
smile.gif

Hello, The Sear's one you mentioned is the one I bought. My 'ever-old fashioned' guy friends say they'd just use channel locks or vise-grips but I gotta classify that thinking with cigarettes and wife beating; just a little too quaint for modern times. These clamp pliers are the best. They save time. They work on all sizes of such clamps too. Kira

I have a Lisle set I purchased about 4 years ago. At that time they were made in the USA, and I assume (but don't know) if they still are. They were about the same price as the brand in the link.

I'd hate to be without them.

I've got both types in my toolbox - sometimes you need one and not the other, but the cable-operated pliers are a life saver when dealing with the myriad of spring clamps in turbocharged VWs.

I'll take spring clamps over worm-drive clamps any day of the week and these tools make them extra easy to deal with. Big thumbs up from me!

I have the Craftsman cable type one as well, and while it's the type of tool that's not used every day, when it does come in handy it's so, so nice. Well worth it.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
Would have saved me a few busted knuckles. If you buy them can I borrow them?
smile.gif

Sure thing! I'm just south of Richmond in Chester.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Mayhew 28650. Worth every penny. Worth every 1/10th of a penny even.

I've read good reviews of the plier type Kobalts in the original post. Mechanics tell me they grab the pliar type first (if access allows) as it is faster.

Merk, I didn't follow your advice this time and opted for the re-engineered Astro Pneumatic shown in my link. They really addressed some common problems with these units and I think they have a fine tool.

It can be bought for under $35 (half of the Mayhews), but with that comes COO of Taiwan, with US and France patents. It has the "ratchet" style as opposed to the single squeeze mechanism....probably a moot feature.
Astro_Pneumatic_9409A_Hose_Clamp_Pliers.jpg

http://www.astrotools.com/pdf/flyer/9409A.pdf

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

Merk, I didn't follow your advice this time and opted for the re-engineered Astro Pneumatic shown in my link.

The Mayhew pliers have larger handles to fit my hand nicely and the quality is outstanding.
I'll always pay the extra dollars for better ergonomics and better quality every time.

When I got mine on ebay I wasn't really sure which ones to get. I'm happy with the Kobalt pliers, although I would have bought a set made in the US if I would have known there was one. I just figured they all were Chinese.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back