Is $1800 for a 99 Cadillac DeVille a good deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jhMalibu
Here you go GHT. Man up and get it done.

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/3647901713.html

I'm selling my beloved blue 1998 Volvo V70 with leather interior. It has 240k miles on it and I've been told by mechanics that it has one of the best engines Volvo ever made, so it should easily make it to 300k. I just had a brand new exhaust manifold installed and it just passed MA inspection. It has heated front seats, power windows, and a CD player.

The accelerator is now stuck. From what I can tell by reading online, the accelerator cable either needs to get lubed up or replaced. It was gradually getting stuck more and more frequently, but now (thanks to the cold weather, I think), it is fully stuck all the way down, meaning the engine revs all the way up when turning it on. You'll need to tow it away unless you can lube it up on the spot. I'm sure it's a simple fix, but I bought a new car and don't feel like doing it.

So basically this ad is saying that when he starts it it bounces off the rev limiter on the cold engine.
Are those cars drive by wire? If so simple throttle lubrication will not fix the issue

Buy that Volvo.
smile.gif

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/cto/3641318310.html

92 lincoln towncar runs and drives with current sticker - $500 (everett)
i have a white lincoln towncar light biege leather interior for sale runs and drives, reason of selling i got a new vehicle... the sticker is good for almost up to a year, ive driven the car daily and its done great. there is a 134k. regular maintanence has been done and have clean title in hand... willing to negotiate delivery
THE ISSUES ARE
crack in windshield
passenger window does not work (but is up)
needs radio
driver side door had issue with locking (have to do it manually)
key is broken (but works)
rear bumper needs minor work (one side is held with bungee cord)

Plus that 98 Volvo can be taken to the Tappet brothers since they're located in Cambridge I believe. Not sure the name of their shop though.

http://www.cartalk.com/

I'd take some CRC throttle body cleaner and see if that solves the issue.

If only my boss would let me, I would go to Cambridge and buy that car. If I were to do that, she would kill me on the spot :-(

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Was he sent on vacation once more?

Good grief I think HE is bouncing off someone's rev-limiter.
laugh.gif

The '98 Volvo would be a good choice for him...but I like Eljefino's better

I suspect that he's on vacation again...I found GHT calling cchase a "POS" (GHT's words, not mine) a few pages back to be objectionable...the mods may have as well...

The Magliozzi brothers' place is the Good News Garage and it's near the MIT campus...

Originally Posted By: Astro14

I suspect that he's on vacation again...I found GHT calling cchase a "POS" (GHT's words, not mine) a few pages back to be objectionable...the mods may have as well...

The Magliozzi brothers' place is the Good News Garage and it's near the MIT campus...

He was likely off his meds again (I wish I was joking...)

Originally Posted By: GearheadTool
Back to a 1999 DeVille D'Elegance, what does ""Torque Converter is stuck open" mean?

3L43F23Je5G35F95Jfd2277369b9f10c816db.jpg

It means this: RUN, FORREST, RUN!

Originally Posted By: hemitom
If this thing had water up to the bottom of the seats it made its way into the transmission and transfer case from the bottom of the console, the electricial problems have already started with the alarm. It really makes no difference to me what you buy, but you seem down on your luck right now i really feel your giving yourself added grief by even considering this jeep. I wouldn't take this jeep for free because of the unknown cost of repairs that are coming to this jeep, and trust me if he's willing to trade for a T.V he is hiding plenty, and wants to unload this thing. Go back and read your own post selling it for his mom or girlfriend. i smell a classic curbsider, takes the money and runs. STAY AWAY FROM THIS. YOU HAVE A 99% CHANCE OF GETTING SCREWED ON THIS JEEP.

Actually, I think the WJ Jeeps had high vent tubes. On my Cherokee, the trans & T-case vent tubes run up to the top of the firewall near the wiper motor.

I might grab that WJ...but only because if it IS junk, I could probably part it out for most of what I paid for it.

Originally Posted By: GearheadTool
I wonder if the Jeep's ATF was pink, a la water contamination.

What ATF even goes IN a 99 Cherokee? Maxlife?

I have something to think about.

99 WJ should use ATF+3, I think. (Since superseded by ATF+4.)

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Originally Posted By: eljefino
http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/cto/3644753518.html

3L73Mf3I75N25K55Hcd2q8ced28b78b901898.jpg

There ya' go.

I'm pretty sure the 4.3 V8 had Optispark...Know the 5.7 did. Kinda' a weak spot. The water pump is a little pricey and if you lose the water pump you'll probably lose the Optispark too, but otherwise it's solid.

My dad held onto his Police Package Caprice Cruiser as long as he could. Sure, the turning radius was bad but when you pushed down on the pedal, the CVPIs in the chase could not match it. The upsidedown bathtub would go.

It survived police duty a long time.

And it may have been made here in Arlington. Quick check inside the driver's door for a Texas shaped sticker will usually show where it came from.

The 4.3 did have Optispark (it was a 265ci LT1). All 1994-6 B-cars were from Arlington.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

I would not bring a BICYCLE to them for service. They come across as arrogant, condescending hacks with delusions of godhood.

ya, and they are on the NPR, so they must be liberal lefty; I have a feeling that is the real reason you don't like them!

I wouldn't go to the cartalk garage either, simply because they're overpriced, on prime real estate, and have the ego to go with a successful auto program. They have a pecking order like any other garage and there are good odds of getting a kid doing your oil change. Odds rare of having one of "the brothers" doing anything or even being in there.

Similarly, I wouldn't let anyone from "Top Gear" fix my car despite their bubbling on-air personalities. Especially Clarkson.
15.gif

Originally Posted By: Vikas
ya, and they are on the NPR, so they must be liberal lefty; I have a feeling that is the real reason you don't like them!

Pure projection.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Similarly, I wouldn't let anyone from "Top Gear" fix my car despite their bubbling on-air personalities. Especially Clarkson.
15.gif

If Clarkson's car breaks, he just buys a new one.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back