New Ammo Tax for 2013?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know California is trying to pass a bill that would tax 5 cents per round of ammunition and/or up to $80 per 20 round boxes depending on ammo.

California can go fly a kite but what about the rest of the country? This can't be a good thing... nothing will be cheap to shoot anymore...
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

If that starts to gain momentum, im going to stock up on a few years worth of range ammo. 80 bucks for a box??? Thats nuts.

zerosoma said:
I know California is trying to pass a bill that would tax 5 cents per round of ammunition and/or up to $80 per 20 round boxes depending on ammo.

15.gif
this little pic to the left is what California is doing not only to itself but to the country. I live in California and am ashamed of what our government has done the past several years. One point I do think is valid is the 10 day background check that California does for the purchase of a firearm. I do beleive that should go national. Paying .05 cents a round is just taking advantage of the American People. There needs to be some kind of regulation, its an irony I know, but with the lefty's pushing for change, and the right holding their ground, there has to be some kind of agreement somewhere. This whole gun control thing has been taken all out of whack because of the media. Thats just my opinion though.

Jeff

I guess they figure if they can't take the guns away they'll make them too expensive to shoot. I'm glad I have brass, primers, powder, and bullets. Hopefully enough until the smoke clears, if it clears.

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
One point I do think is valid is the 10 day background check that California does for the purchase of a firearm. I do beleive that should go national.

Jeff
What does that accomplish? Besides denying someone who may need a gun for protection a gun for 10 days? States can instantly check to see if someone has a record. Is there an investigation conducted? Of course not. If you think that's a valid law then why wouldn't a tax on ammo used for some mysterious save something purpose be just as or more valid?

Good time to stock up on Brass, Primers, Powder, and other reloading stuff.

Stock up on wheel weights too from tire shops and cast your own bullets.

Does not cost all that much getting setup for reloading.

I have no philosophical issue with background checks...it's the only way to ensure that the laws governing posession of firearms by felons, etc. are in fact adhered to...

But I think the 10 day period is ridiculous. Make them instant (like Virginia's) or they're an abrogation of the right to self-defense.

Take the case of my step-niece; We'll call her Jane...and all other details will be vague to protect her identity, but the story is true. Jane is newly married to an Army officer, they just moved to New York. She doesn't know many folks in town yet. He just deployed to Afghanistan. A few days after his unit shipped out, three young men banged on her door late at night demanding to be let in.

Young woman, new in town, no friends, husband just shipped out...everyone knows she's alone....pretty good bet that these young men weren't delivering pizza or inviting her to bible study...there's only one reason that all 3 of them showed up at her residence.

She calls 911. The police arrive before these guys manage to break in. (Thank Goodness for ill-prepared bad guys).

Now that she has a potential criminal case with her name attached, she is prohibited from buying a gun...thanks to the new gun laws in New York state and ridiculous ideas like the 10 day waiting period....California, too, would deny her the gun purchase with its 10 day waiting period.

Were she my daughter, the next night would have Dad sleeping on the couch, armed, and she would be the proud new owner of a 9mm Glock, with full-capacity magazines and (personal preference) several boxes of Speer Gold Dots...and yes, I already have those things sitting in my safe, just in case this happens to one of my children.

I cannot believe that people are willing to institute laws that are so restrictive that this young lady can't obtain the means to defend herself when she is a clear target as a result of her husband's deployment...to those people, restricting the rights of others is OK, as long as they "feel" better about it...they "feel" safer if guns are more restricted...and they don't really care about the inherent right to self defense that every human being (particularly Americans) possesses.

To some people, restricting the rights of others sounds reasonable... To me, it never does.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14

To some people, restricting the rights of others sounds reasonable... To me, it never does.

Exactly. It's the main problem we have these days. Almost everyone wants to prevent others from doing something they don't think others should be able to do. And almost everyone is all for a .gov handout when it's coming to them but oppose others and their pet .gov handout. We have a lot of troubles.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: Astro14

Exactly. It's the main problem we have these days. Almost everyone wants to prevent others from doing something they don't think others should be able to do. And almost everyone is all for a .gov handout when it's coming to them but oppose others and their pet .gov handout. We have a lot of troubles.

The government handouts are just the beginning. Have you ever seen someone trap wild pigs? First they put out food. Then they put up a couple of fence panels, it might take a few days but they will come back in for the food. The next time they put up a gate that pushes in but not back out. When the pigs come for the food this time they are trapped. I had a guy explain what was going on right now using this analogy. I thought it was quite interesting.

There is already a federal excise tax levied on the manufacturers of ammo. I believe it is 10%. It won't change crime one bit if a round costs 25 cents or $2.50 each. Will a thief decide to give up crime and get a job since ammo is $100 a box? No, he will just pay $100 of stolen money for some ammo.

This is only punishment for the good guys, more money for the government to waste. I can't believe anyone still lives in California.

Originally Posted By: dareo
There is already a federal excise tax levied on the manufacturers of ammo. I believe it is 10%. It won't change crime one bit if a round costs 25 cents or $2.50 each. Will a thief decide to give up crime and get a job since ammo is $100 a box? No, he will just pay $100 of stolen money for some ammo.

This is only punishment for the good guys, more money for the government to waste. I can't believe anyone still lives in California.

price on .22LR has gone up around here. WHEN it is in stock, it is now priced $29.99-$49.99, it USED to be $19.99. So maybe it's kicking in already. This is at both chain and independent stores!
hooked.gif

I just don't see the price of ammo ever going back down to where it used to be. I just don't.

How long has it been since you paid less than $2 for a gallon of gas?

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
I just don't see the price of ammo ever going back down to where it used to be. I just don't.

How long has it been since you paid less than $2 for a gallon of gas?

True. Cheapest I've found was $13.99. Bar none. Sometimes at the store I can get a coupon to work for 10% off of that, so...like $12.60. Case in point with shortage and madness - lately I have not been able to find any 9mm and so I'm asking these stores if they are getting ANY in at all. They say "oh yes, we get shipments, but they are gone before they hit the floor". So I start thinking who are these people and when can I get in on some ammo before it's gone? So I started asking about truck schedules, and realized I had to get up really early to hit the store when it opened (think black friday every day) to be able to snag a box or two. Had to walk the store (it's not good enough to call and ask). I find once you start physically hitting every store you can get lucky. Got four boxes today (the limit) and I'm set for awhile. Also managed to grab a brick of Federal .22LR yesterday so this week has been good.

Hang in there my fellow shooters you will get your chance. Things have slowed down a little and there's a bit more trickling in (every week instead of every other week).
34.gif
It is getting better.

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
zerosoma said:

15.gif
this little pic to the left is what California is doing not only to itself but to the country. I live in California and am ashamed of what our government has done the past several years. One point I do think is valid is the 10 day background check that California does for the purchase of a firearm. I do beleive that should go national. Paying .05 cents a round is just taking advantage of the American People. There needs to be some kind of regulation, its an irony I know, but with the lefty's pushing for change, and the right holding their ground, there has to be some kind of agreement somewhere. This whole gun control thing has been taken all out of whack because of the media. Thats just my opinion though.

Jeff

Jeff,

I feel the same way as you do. I have no issue of a back-ground check anyway cuz I heard by internet in California rifles are now included in the purchase of any pistol. It's just like doing the same paperwork as buying a pistol. That starts next year according to what I've read. Personally I have no issue about it as I obey all the laws and have done nothing wrong so I shouldn'e be turned down in anyway as thousands of people are as well. Let's see what happens in the next 6 months. One never knows it might just all dissapear. It has done one thing though....It has raised awaremenss to the people.

Durango

Illinois ( another super Dem majority state ) is talking ammo tax as well, plus a registration tax on all new purchases, a five year tax thingy.........on and on. Additionally the manufactures are gonna get hit with more regulations and taxes.
Hoarders gonna hoard, government buying up zillions of rounds, 2nd amendment advocates gonna buy...

No way ammo prices will go down below previous levels and may sky rocket.

Last edited:
Reloading even at today's prices of supplies still cut down the cost per round.

A progressive reloader like the those offered by Dillon (the 550) and others allow reloading a box of 50 rounds in just a few minutes. Several hundred can be reloaded in an evening.

Cost per round is even lower if you use hard cast bullets for range use.

You will find that you end up shooting a lot more so you really don't save a lot of money but get a lot more range time in.

Originally Posted By: salesrep
Illinois ( another super Dem majority state ) is talking ammo tax as well, plus a registration tax on all new purchases, a five year tax thingy.........on and on. Additionally the manufactures are gonna get hit with more regulations and taxes.
Hoarders gonna hoard, government buying up zillions of rounds, 2nd amendment advocates gonna buy...

No way ammo prices will go down below previous levels and may sky rocket.

According to the current batch in Springfield, the solution for *every* problem in Illinois is higher taxes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back