Just received my Mag1 5-40 Euro

Status
Not open for further replies.
It comes in some flimsy-arse bottles. It doesn't have the API starburst on it anywhere, either.
crazy2.gif
The VOA looks good so I'm not too worried.

I did a highly scientific "shake" test vs. some QSAD 5-30. At room temperature, I couldn't tell much difference. After a couple of hours in the freezer, however, the 5-40 was definitely much thicker than the 5-30.

It's going into my 2.2 Ecotec. I'm going to use the Napa Platinum filter for a second OCI, so it should total out to about 15,000 miles on the filter. I'll have a UOA and pics of the filter for you all in 6-7 months.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Brons2
what does it smell like?

I actually did smell it! It smells like ... oil.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
It comes in some flimsy-arse bottles. It doesn't have the API starburst on it anywhere, either.
crazy2.gif

I did a highly scientific "shake" test vs. some QSAD 5-30. At room temperature, I couldn't tell much difference. After a couple of hours in the freezer, however, the 5-40 was definitely much thicker than the 5-30.

It's going into my 2.2 Ecotec. I'm going to use the Napa Platinum filter for a second OCI, so it should total out to about 15,000 miles on the filter. I'll have a UOA and pics of the filter for you all in 6-7 months.
smile.gif

Do you think it safe to use an oil that has no API approval from a company that can't afford a good bottle? Does it have any ACEA approvals? Good luck if it does not have either as a poor quality base stock and cheap additives can fool a simple VOA. The elements listed in a VOA are just that, they are elements and might not be the high quality compounds you expect. Moly for example comes in three different forms and the expensive version is better. The same applies to Zinc, as fine milled Zinc oxide looks the same as the read Zddzzzp.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
crazy2.gif

smile.gif

No starburst? Does the API starburst even carry weight in Europe considering its a euro spec oil? What about the other oil governing body,ACEA or whatever their letters are? Does it carry any certs from them? Or are the bottle devoid of any stamps like Amsoil and red line and the bottle says recommended for and not approved.
Thanks

Mag 1 is made by Warren and should be good oil.

Is there a reason you want to use 5w40 in your ecotec? I ask because I have an ecotec in my Saturn Ion and I'm really not familiar whether or not it likes oil on the thicker side.

Do not listen to Skyship. You do not need ACEA approvals for your ecotec. I don't understand the reasoning behind the 5w40 but I am sure your engine will not blow. Mag1 is a decent oil and won't let you down.

According to the website:

Quote:
MAG 1 Full Synthetic European Car Formula SAE 5W-40 meets or exceeds the following performance specifications: API SM, ACEA A3/B4-08, BMW LL-01, MERCEDES BENZ 229.5, 229.3, OPEL GM-LL-B-025, PORSCHE, RENAULT 0700 AND 0710 VOLKSWAGEN 501 01, 502 00, 505 00

I figure it's probably OK.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Is there a reason you want to use 5w40 in your ecotec?

Mostly for the [censored] of it. The additive package and starting TBN look good and it was a little cheaper from Amazon than the 5-30. Opels and Vauxhalls with this engine are spec'd for 5-30 or 5-40 in Europe.

I've been a fan of Warren for awhile.

Originally Posted By: Stelth

Quote:
MAG 1 Full Synthetic European Car Formula SAE 5W-40 meets or exceeds the following performance specifications: API SM, ACEA A3/B4-08, BMW LL-01, MERCEDES BENZ 229.5, 229.3, OPEL GM-LL-B-025, PORSCHE, RENAULT 0700 AND 0710 VOLKSWAGEN 501 01, 502 00, 505 00

Looks like they recommended it for everything! I wonder why it has no API starburst?
Of course writing recommendations for your own companies oil is real easy.
If the OP's engine is in good condition, it's a silly idea to put a heavier oil like a 5/40 in it, as this engine is supposed to use a 5/30 as far as I can tell.
30 grades are the normal design spec for most new GM engines, so unless you have some serious severe duty considerations that is the right grade of oil. I'm a bit of a go thicker fan, BUT even I would not use an X/40 in this engine without a real good reason.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyship
Originally Posted By: Stelth

Quote:

Looks like they recommended it for everything! I wonder why it has no API starburst?
Of course writing recommendations for your own companies oil is real easy.
If the OP's engine is in good condition, it's a silly idea to put a heavier oil like a 5/40 in it, as this engine is supposed to use a 5/30 as far as I can tell.
30 grades are the normal design spec for most new GM engines, so unless you have some serious severe duty considerations that is the right grade of oil. I'm a bit of a go thicker fan, BUT even I would not use an X/40 in this engine without a real good reason.

This oil is not a cut the corner oil. They do not use bad additives, they source them from lubrizol. IIRC, they source their base lubes from SOPUS.

I can assure you that the European oil that you Purchased meet 100% of the specs Stated on the bottle. I do find it concerning that you find our bottles flimsy and it would like to get one from you if you have not used it. Please let me know. If you are looking for an oil that has a starburst, look for any of our GF-5 oils. Thanks.
WD

Mag1 surfs BITOG for posts concerning it's products?

LOL!

[edit] not saying it's a bad thing mind you, just interesting. The majors probably don't care at all what goes on here.

Last edited:
This is the biggest oil site, if I had a product I would be checking up on it to make sure the pros (bitogors) are happy with it and does what is advertised. Its all about relationships, who knows Mag1 might be the next flavor of this site!!! Give us some good discounts and I will have no problem buying it and using it in my few cars.
Thanks for caring about the product.

Originally Posted By: DrMag1
If you are looking for an oil that has a starburst, look for any of our GF-5 oils. Thanks.

I'm not too concerned about the starburst. T6, which I've been using in several applications, doesn't have the starburst, either. The Euro oil is SM rated, which is what would have been current when my Saturn rolled off the assembly line.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
Mag1 surfs BITOG for posts concerning it's products?

LOL!

[edit] not saying it's a bad thing mind you, just interesting. The majors probably don't care at all what goes on here.

Warren surfaced a few months ago when some threads about Amazon screwing up bulk quantity orders. Some were confusing or implying Warren/MAG 1 was responsible when they were not. If anything, Warren stepped in a got with Amazon to get their shipping and packers squared away. Top notch for any company and not usually seen with other oil companies.

I have issued a MOLD redesign engineering project to increase the rigidity of the bottles. (We make our own bottles) It will be RE-TOOLED this weekend with the design changes and I expect new bottles to be packaged in the next 2-4 weeks or so. It will take some time for Amazon to get the new product through the warehouse. Thanks for all the feedback.
WD

No 40-wt oil has a starburst.

The starburst is only for 0/5w20 and 0/5/10w30
ILSAC GF-5 fuel economy requirement

Also why those ILSAC grades require low ZDDP levels.

The limits are higher in the heavier oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back