OCI for Cummins 24V B series?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The engine is a 2003 I beleve and is in a Van Body in a Tool Truck. Single Full flow oil filter w/o bypass. What is the OCI on these engines?

I did a quick internet search and couldn't find the suggested interval. If it wer mine I'd be ok with a 5000 mile OCI (and a good synthetic), and doing a UOA at that level.

Last edited:
The guy is currently doing oil changes ever 3 months and filter every other oil change. I think I'll recommend doing a UOA at 3-6 months and go from there.

It would depend upon more info such as service severity, current lube choice, filters utilized, etc. If you want a specific OCI recommendation, you'll need to be much more specific in the details.

Generally, the temperature is moderate enough in HI that synthetics are not needed. Only if the OCI were to be greatly extended would syn's even be worth considering. If not, they would be a total waste most likely.

Being a delivery truck, does it idle a lot, or is it shut down at each stop?

A UOA at 5k miles is a good place to start.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
It would depend upon more info such as service severity, current lube choice, filters utilized, etc. If you want a specific OCI recommendation, you'll need to be much more specific in the details.

Generally, the temperature is moderate enough in HI that synthetics are not needed. Only if the OCI were to be greatly extended would syn's even be worth considering. If not, they would be a total waste most likely.

Being a delivery truck, does it idle a lot, or is it shut down at each stop?

A UOA at 5k miles is a good place to start.

Being a Tool Truck (like a Snap On truck) it idles a lot while it sits next to shops with mechanics browsing and buying tools.

I checked the OCI for a 2003 RAM with the Cummins engine. The OCI for that is 3,000-7,500

Since its a Dodge I wouldn't worry about oil selection, any HDEO 15w-40 CI-4 or better will be fine at 7,500 mi intervals.

The real issue is the rest of the truck, since its a Dodge.
Wheel bearings, electrical gremlins, transmissions/clutch, just pick your poison. They're really not bad trucks of that vintage, but when any of the things I mentioned do happen its going to cost big dollars.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
Since its a Dodge I wouldn't worry about oil selection, any HDEO 15w-40 CI-4 or better will be fine at 7,500 mi intervals.

Wheel bearings, electrical gremlins, transmissions/clutch, just pick your poison. They're really not bad trucks of that vintage, but when any of the things I mentioned do happen its going to cost big dollars.

oh, its not a dodge but the vehicle has pretty much the same engine (from what I was told)

"The real issue is the rest of the truck, since its a Dodge.
Wheel bearings, electrical gremlins, transmissions/clutch, just pick your poison. They're really not bad trucks of that vintage, but when any of the things I mentioned do happen its going to cost big dollars."

And which brand of truck is this not true for? In a fleet of 12 Fords, 7 Chevrolet and 5 dodges, all diesels...our dodges have been ultra reliable since 1999. The newest powerstroke 6.7s have had more issues than any of them. And ford front ends eat ball joints and death wobble all the time.

Is it an isbe 5.9 24V or a common rail 24V? Pickups got common rails in 03 but chassis applications may have still had VP44 equipped 24vs. May make a difference in OCI.

If you went with Rotella T6 I'll bet you could go 15K to 20K. I have T6 in my Cummins now and will be sampling soon but not planning on changing the oil anytime soon. Given my UOA from Rotella T, I expect even better from T6.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1

Having dealt with a fleet of '04 & '05 Ford 6.0 E-350 vans, as well as a handful of diesel Sprinters-I would take a Dodge (or even an older 7.3 Powerstroke) over them in a heartbeat. I'm currently looking for a 4BT stepvan myself-but they're all pretty pricy in these parts. Lucky your truck is an '07 & not an '03 or '04-you'd been in the same boat!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back