lucas oil stabilizer

Status
Not open for further replies.
got a question!!! what is the popular opinion of Lucas oil stabilizer(petroleum base)? is it this generations STP?? used some in a noisy trans and it made it harder to shift...how is it in air-cooled ,hot running motors??

I purchased four gallons of the synthetic version pre-BITOG and am trying to figure out various uses for it.

There's enough to lube my bicycle chain for the next ten googolplex years (OK, I'm exaggerating!)-

As far as I can tell, the opinions of the Lucas additives on this board, well, tend not to be overly positive. But that's just *my* observation.

quote:

Originally posted by robtom:
got a question!!! what is the popular opinion of Lucas oil stabilizer(petroleum base)? is it this generations STP?? used some in a noisy trans and it made it harder to shift...how is it in air-cooled ,hot running motors??

If it makes you feel any better, my father in law has been using this stuff for literally MILLIONS of miles in his 18 wheelers. He told me he's never had a lubrication-related problem.......ever. He usually puts around 1.25-1.50 million miles on his big rigs before he trades them. He uses Lucas at every oil change; The oil he mixes it with is Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15w40.

I say use the stuff in the quantity listed on the bottle. I really don't think it will hurt anything.

quote:

Originally posted by robtom:
..how is it in air-cooled ,hot running motors??

I think you'd be just as well off running a 15w40 diesel engine oil in your air cooled engine. Older air cooled lawnmower-type engines seem to like 40 weight oils, and I think VW recommended that 20w50 be used in the old air cooled 4 in the warmer months. I'm a fan of diesel engine oils, I'm running 15W40 in my 94 Aspire at the moment and the engine seems to like it. Sure, I may lose some small amount of fuel economy, but since this engine turns over pretty fast on the highway (haven't actually had it out on the road yet) the 15w40 will provide an extra amount of protection over a typical 10W30 passenger car oil.

55, I've got a 94 aspire too. These b3 engines never die. Lots of festiva/aspires with over 200k miles.

I recently tried 5w50 in it and took a MAJOR hit on mileage. Instead of 40 to 41 I was getting 35 to 37.

My 5w30 UOAs are in the UOA section. Search for aspire.

But I'd love to see a few 15w40 UOAs (or any other UOA for these cars).

For a hot running air cooled engine, I suggest Redline Oil.

I don't know much about Lucas, but if you want a good additive, try the Valvoline Synpower Oil Treatment. There is a new oil analysis posted on it at this site. A lot of goodies in it. Would not put it in a rear end or tranny (again Redline is a good choice).

MHO of Lucas is that I don't think it's ever done a dam*ed thing for anything I've ever tried it in. It doesn't quiet noisy valves and lifters, it doesn't prolong engine oil life, and it doesn't reduce oil burning. Conversely, I never had an oil leak until I ran this junk twice. It also didn't stop the leak.
banghead.gif

quote:

Originally posted by wavinwayne:
If it makes you feel any better, my father in law has been using this stuff for literally MILLIONS of miles in his 18 wheelers. He told me he's never had a lubrication-related problem.......ever. He usually puts around 1.25-1.50 million miles on his big rigs before he trades them. He uses Lucas at every oil change; The oil he mixes it with is Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15w40.

I say use the stuff in the quantity listed on the bottle. I really don't think it will hurt anything.

It has cost him money for likely no benefit, and who knows if his oil without Lucas would actually have slightly less engine wear. Use oil analyses and inspection of used engine parts is the only way to know.

Ken

"Use oil analyses and inspection of used engine parts is the only way to know".

The mans trucks get over 1 million miles with no problems. Geeezzzz If he likes Lucas products (as do tens of thousands if not more drivers) then good for him. I wish him continued success!

Just because a product sells doesn't mean it's good or that it works. Heck, millions of "tornados" have been sold in the past decade.

For all we know he could have longer without lucas.

lol.gif

What do you or most of us for that matter about their products? Just because many people use them does not mean they DO NOT work. Sure I saw the "test" ran here a year or so ago but IMO it was not an example of a real world test...kinda like their plastic wheel display.

I know it is not a popular company here..so be it. IMO few have any first hand knowledge of their products...Again, do you?

quote:

Originally posted by tenderloin:

lol.gif

What do you or most of us for that matter about their products? Just because many people use them does not mean they DO NOT work. Sure I saw the "test" ran here a year or so ago but IMO it was not an example of a real world test...kinda like their plastic wheel display.

I know it is not a popular company here..so be it. IMO few have any first hand knowledge of their products...Again, do you?

I have first hand knowledge of using it at one time in my Cummins N14. My Used Oil Anaylis wear numbers were worse with the Lucas crap compared to Delo 400 alone. The demonstration test on BITOG just confirmed my dislike for the product some time after I quit using the Lucas. If you want to thicken yout oil, there are much better products out there. Schaeffer's 132 would be one of them.

Hammer

I have a bit of the discussion with the member at the other forum. The whole thing is about if the product thickens the host oil, and to what extent.
According to my calculations ( 110cSt @ 100C for Lucas and 11.3cSt @ 100C for M1 EP 5w30) the resulting brew of 4qts M1 and 1qt Lucas will be in 50 grade at operating temperature (17.8cSt @ 100C). Does this sound right? I used Shell Viscosity Calculator.

There are uses for it. Lucas products should be judged by the line. The UCL, Transmission, Power Steering adds IMO have uses.

The Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer ... I would use it for Transmission and Engine Assembly. I do wonder if this stuff could be used a pistol slide lube ... used sparingly.

On mileage engines ... it seems most of the time a heavy weight oil can do good. The truck engine ya mentioned? Are not those engines designed to go hundreds of thousands of miles before scheduled overhauls?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back