Necessity of Loctite on Brake Caliper Bolts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's change this discussion a bit.

Is there any harm whatsoever in adding Loctite BLUE to the caliper bolts?

Since Loctite BLUE is removable with hand tools, I do not see this being an issue - in fact it is extra insurance.

Can anyone see any downside of doing this?

No.

My car shipped with blue on the caliper mounting bolts. All it did was make them harder to remove, but it is considered insurance.

When it comes to brakes take no shortcuts...

I have never used loctite on the hundreds of brake jobs i have done. Do not recommend using anti seize, though.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Let's change this discussion a bit.

Is there any harm whatsoever in adding Loctite BLUE to the caliper bolts?

Since Loctite BLUE is removable with hand tools, I do not see this being an issue - in fact it is extra insurance.

Can anyone see any downside of doing this?

Blue is what I use and it's fine.

Originally Posted By: css9450
Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I remember those calipers on '88 Fieros.

Yep, while the other years ('84-'87) used off-the-shelf calipers, the '88 Fiero calipers were found on only one other car - the Pontiac 6000 AWD. Only the rear ones if I remember right. Fortunately the '88 calipers are still readily available as rebuilds (front and rear) or NOS (front only) unlike certain other '88-only parts. But yeah, I'm not the only one who has experienced the loosening of the caliper bolts on the '88s. Loctite is highly recommended among '88 owners.

Watch out for those rebuilds. I went through seven bad AC Delco rebuilds before I found a decent pair for my 88. Two of them didn't have a functioning parking brake and the rest leaked.

I think perhaps one of the reasons Asian brand cars don't require thread locker on the caliper bolts is the fine thread pitches they use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back