How much can YOU over react?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's possible the teacher thought the rule was hooey as well but enforced it hoping to shake things up further up the food chain. "Aggressive compliance" or whatever they call it.

no different than the other recent cases.

3rd grade girl suspended b/c she said she was going to "shoot" herself and her friends with bubbles from her pink hello kitty bubble "gun"

Colorado 2nd grade boy suspended for "throwing a (imaginary) grenade to save the world"
there was nothing in his hand.

Last edited:
That kid should tell his teacher to kiss his [censored] and go straight to [censored]! If I were that kid`s dad,me and that teacher would be having some serious words and a come to Jesus meeting.

Last edited:
These "zero tolerance" rules that schools have implemented are so that our esteemed edyookaters don't have to make a decision that comes anywhere near involving rational thought or skilled decision making.

And this is considered as being "progress".

I love the United States Marine Corps, but this is not a Marine Corps shirt, this is a shirt that says Marine Corps, and has pictures of an M-16 on it...not the same thing at all.

If the kid was in trouble for wearing a shirt with the Eagle, Globe and anchor on it (like the bright red Underarmor shirt my son has from his godfather, a US Marine)...then I would be upset about this.

But this is just a junky t-shirt, sold by someone with no USMC affiliation, and you can't go wrapping this up in our flag...the school policy is no shirts with guns.

I would say to this kid, "Turn your shirt inside out, dress with a bit more thought next time, and quit whining."

If you don't know how to quit whining, I am sure that once you're 18, and out of high school, some folks at Parris Island can help you with that....

If your grades were excellent, you're in great physical shape, and you have the motivation...in other words, if you're the top of your class...not just some punk who is a wanna be Marine....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
I love the United States Marine Corps, but this is not a Marine Corps shirt, this is a shirt that says Marine Corps, and has pictures of an M-16 on it...not the same thing at all.

If the kid was in trouble for wearing a shirt with the Eagle, Globe and anchor on it (like the bright red Underarmor shirt my son has from his godfather, a US Marine)...then I would be upset about this.

But this is just a junky t-shirt, sold by someone with no USMC affiliation, and you can't go wrapping this up in our flag...the school policy is no shirts with guns.

I would say to this kid, "Turn your shirt inside out, dress with a bit more thought next time, and quit whining."

If you don't know how to quit whining, I am sure that once you're 18, and out of high school, some folks at Parris Island can help you with that....

If your grades were excellent, you're in great physical shape, and you have the motivation...in other words, if you're the top of your class...not just some punk who is a wanna be Marine....

The shirt is not junk, it is just not a uniform.
He is not a punk, nor a wannabe.
And where did you get the idea that Marines had to have excellent grades???
All you have are false accusations.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mechtech2

75% of High School students today are ineligible for military service; for academic, physical fitness, or disciplinary reasons. The USMC is, in fact, more selective than that...nothing false in that number, though it is shocking....odds are, this kid couldn't get into the Marine Corps.

However, if he really wants to join the Corps, he has a lot to learn about respect for authority, setting a good example and avoiding being a whiner (and going to the press, is, in fact, whining)...things that he might pick up at Parris Island...if he were 1. able to get in and 2. able to complete basic.

I saw the shirt in the article that was linked...it does nothing to honor the USMC, and relates to none of the Corps' proud traditions, there's nothing about that shirt at all that links it to the Marine Corps...it's a typical "wanna be" shirt...cool guns and the word "marines"...so what?

To try and leverage the tradition, or honor, of the Corps in this kids' case is disingenuine at best...and reminds me of those who wear medals that they didn't earn...they want the respect that those symbols engender, but they didn't earn them. This kid has earned nothing, yet. Want to honor the Corps? How about a big Eagle, Globe and Anchor? The letters "USMC" without the hardware, maybe? He could have worn those all day without getting in trouble...but the shirt with guns looked cool...so, he chose that...

I make no "baseless accusations"...but instead offer the perspective that comes with over 26 years of military service...perspective that has me seeing this situation much differently than you...or anyone else in this thread...and I am certain that my son's godfather would agree...he sets very high standards of personal integrity and behaviour for his Marines.

In an all volunteer force, they can be picky. Back in the 1990s, a guy I knew was rejected by the Corps because of a DUI. The Army wasn't as picky, they took him.

Last edited:
My kid's school has a program where 3rd graders study a historically important figure, dress as that person, recite a speech as that person, and answer questions asked by various members of the school staff.

My kid chose Colonel David Crockett. (aka: Davy Crockett. His preferred name was David. The TV series made "Davy" the known name. I did not know this until my son started researching)

I made a corrugated cardboard copy of "Old Betsy", his .40 caliber flintlock. It was very obviously several layers of corrugated cardboard and tempera paint. He was not allowed to have the cardboard facsimile of the famous rifle at school.

I get that. It resembles a firearm. An early 19th century firearm scaled down to an 8 year old's size. But a very myopic person might panic at the blurry sight of a vaguely weapon shaped object.

Several boys, my son included, were disciplined for bringing their baseball mitts and a baseball to school. Not the bats, just ball and gloves. They wanted to play catch at recess. So much for America's pasttime. For the record, you can bring a soccer ball.
Note to Chevrolet: If you restore old advertising slogans, maybe you should change it to "Soccer, tofu dogs, sugar free/gluten free baked apple pie like treat, and Chevrolet."

75% of High School students today are ineligible for military service; for academic, physical fitness, or disciplinary reasons. The USMC is, in fact, more selective than that...nothing false in that number, though it is shocking....odds are, this kid couldn't get into the Marine Corps.

However, if he really wants to join the Corps, he has a lot to learn about respect for authority, setting a good example and avoiding being a whiner (and going to the press, is, in fact, whining)...things that he might pick up at Parris Island...if he were 1. able to get in and 2. able to complete basic.

I saw the shirt in the article that was linked...it does nothing to honor the USMC, and relates to none of the Corps' proud traditions, there's nothing about that shirt at all that links it to the Marine Corps...it's a typical "wanna be" shirt...cool guns and the word "marines"...so what?

To try and leverage the tradition, or honor, of the Corps in this kids' case is disingenuine at best...and reminds me of those who wear medals that they didn't earn...they want the respect that those symbols engender, but they didn't earn them. This kid has earned nothing, yet. Want to honor the Corps? How about a big Eagle, Globe and Anchor? The letters "USMC" without the hardware, maybe? He could have worn those all day without getting in trouble...but the shirt with guns looked cool...so, he chose that...

I make no "baseless accusations"...but instead offer the perspective that comes with over 26 years of military service...perspective that has me seeing this situation much differently than you...or anyone else in this thread...and I am certain that my son's godfather would agree...he sets very high standards of personal integrity and behaviour for his Marines.

You are not describing 80% of the marines I have met in my life. And growing up in a party town 30 miles from a military base I have met alot of them. Note however that I did not say all. I have a neighbor that is a retired Marine and one of the nicest and most honorable men I know. Most that I met in my younger days were cocky, arrogant and looking for a fight.

"0dds are this kid couldn't get in to the Marine Corps."??!!

His amicable desire is evident.
You falsely assume he is substandard.
You prove by your words that your thinking is substandard.

"0dds are this kid couldn't get in to the Marine Corps."??!!

His amicable desire is evident.
You falsely assume he is substandard.
You prove by your words that your thinking is substandard.

Desire is one thing, statistics are another. As the USMC draws down from 210,000 (current end strength) to 180,000, they are turning away a lot of applicants, simply, the USMC is very, very selective right now...they don't have very many openings, so they don't have to take just anybody. Sorry, but the odds are he can't get in, since the overwhelming majority of high school students right now can't.

Look, you see this situation as school over-reaction. I see this situation as a kid with a lot to learn.

And on that, we disagree. I haven't laid out my complete military cred, but as a result of my time in uniform, my experiences in a leadership role, my professional perspective, I see this differently than you, and hope that you (and the rest of BITOG) will be able to respect my opinion.

I support kids in general, not just my own. On invitation, I've given over a dozen talks at schools: on the meaning of Memorial Day, on what it takes to succeed in life, and on hope; that there is always a way if you're willing to work hard (without being a recruiter for the Navy, I am not, but the focus and discipline that it takes to succeed in my line of work leads to success in others careers and I used my daughter as an example for one group of at-risk kids at a local Middle School. Those kids don't think that they will be able to go to College...but I know that they are able, that's why they're in this particular program. Further, Virginia has some great low-cost options, and great in state schools...depending on how well you do, there are scholarships for kids that need the help, either as a result of personal or financial circumstances...my cred in this area: I am a fighter pilot with combat experience, my daughter goes to Yale on a scholarship).

So, I'll offer you this: if this kid really wants to show his support for the USMC (and I've already said that I support kids and I love the USMC), and you want him to be able to show his support, then PM me his address. You do the leg work and find it out since it's your neck of the woods. I will stop by the Exchange today and pick up a genuine USMC T-Shirt, one that will be unique in his school because it is real...and one to which the administrators can't object...if you could get me his size, that would help too.

He gets to show his support, I show him that other people are supporting him, as well as help him learn how to manage this difficult situation, and you get to push back against what you perceive the problem to be...sound good?

Let me know.

Cheers,
Astro

Last edited:

So, I'll offer you this: if this kid really wants to show his support for the USMC (and I've already said that I support kids and I love the USMC), and you want him to be able to show his support, then PM me his address. You do the leg work and find it out since it's your neck of the woods. I will stop by the Exchange today and pick up a genuine USMC T-Shirt, one that will be unique in his school because it is real...and one to which the administrators can't object...if you could get me his size, that would help too.

He gets to show his support, I show him that other people are supporting him, as well as help him learn how to manage this difficult situation, and you get to push back against what you perceive the problem to be...sound good?

That is awesome. That is one of the most awesome things I've read in awhile.

But the school may still object. They object to some silly things sometimes.
33.gif
They'll object to a genuine 49th Armor patch because it has a cannon, a track, and a lightning bolt but they will let another student wear a Hamas Keffiyeh.

If the kid is serious, there is also an organization called the Young Marines.
Our Cub Scouts learned flag protocol with the Young Marines and I gotta' say, those were some highly disciplined Gung Ho young men. And I'm comparing them to Scouts who are typically pretty good kids.

Spazdog - let's hope we're able to get the kid a T-Shirt...I was thinking one of the PT uniform shirts...OD with USMC on it...but if I see something with a bit more "flash"...like digi camo with the Eagle, Globe and Anchor, I'll ensure that it doesn't run afoul of the administrators...

FWIW, I was once a Scout...my son was a Scout...my stepson was a Scout...the organization is not as popular now as it was in the 70s, when I was a kid...and we've lost something, I think...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back