Well, its official... (internet)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
ScreenShot2013-02-26at80441PM_zpseabdcdb9.png

Naked FIOS, no cable TV...

$29.99/month.

The thieves had taken us to $24.99 for 768k DSL, and Comcrap wanted $34.95 FOR 3Mbps cable.

They gave us a $40/month legacy user credit, and we were told there is no expiration. If they try to pull an expiration Ill flip, and Im going to call them two or three more times, do a web chat as well so I have text to save.

But the connection is quick. For my use there is no real benefit, I dont stream much. But if we use Amazon Prime or something like that, it should work well... And for emailing pictures Im guessing there will be a big difference, which will be good with these ever higher MP cameras...

I have the same thing, just FIOS.
I stream movies regularly through Amazon Prime, to my TV through a Roku box.

It works good for those, but when a LOT of people in your area are on the same line it can really slow down.

BTW, I just tested my connection and it was almost identical to what you are getting.

Has anyone tried Hughes Net? I know there is a propagation due to the fact that they cannot figure out how to have the satellite floating 100' over my roof.

I have non-naked DSL for more than I wish to pay, plus Direct TV. Friends down the street have cable that is TV only and DSL for internet. No cell phone service at house.

NPR talked about a government funded program that was bringing broadband to rural areas. This school in Arizona (I think) ended up with 3 fiber optic connections, and they were all too fast for their equipment. They were contracting for a lower speed connect. The school has 11 students and the oldest is in 5th grade.

I am 20 minutes from Albany. Not in the middle of Montana.

Very nice.
Here, its hard to find service with a decent upload. I get like 20MBPS down with my cable, but .5 up like always.

3rd party ISP, much cheaper than the main cable company.

I'm paying for 20 Mbps down and I'm actually getting 35 Mbps down through Bright House. No FIOS here or even Google Fiber which is 1 GB down and 1 GB up. Can't wait for it to get here.

I have RR extreme. The 5mbits is nice for remote desktop etc.

extreme is supposed to get bumped to 5/50 soon also.
and wideband to 5/100

Thats with 1 sd netflix stream going.

usually its 5/30 right on the dot.

so welcome to the modern internet

768 is hardly dialup but.. its pretty slow.

Last edited:
Not bad (for North America) JHZR2!

We get hosed so badly on this continent, and even more in Canada. I pay about $40 for 5Mbps down and ... 384k up!! It's supposed to be 8Mbps/768k, but the bandwidth shaping consistently says otherwise.

Is that FIOS? I'm confused ...

I had a problem with TW a while ago, luckily it ended up being a bad cable modem. But the service is just horrible.

Unfortunately, my options are limited for Internet. I have 4G option (clearwire), Fios (expensive) and TW.

Cable TV ... TW or nothing.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Is that FIOS? I'm confused ...

Yes it is.

Originally Posted By: GearheadTool
Originally Posted By: johnnydc
That's fast

Yes, yes it is.

JHZR2 how close do you live to the switching station?

The tech drove over to it to make some changes. I'm guessing less than 3 miles.

Originally Posted By: jrustles
Not bad (for North America) JHZR2!

We get hosed so badly on this continent, and even more in Canada. I pay about $40 for 5Mbps down and ... 384k up!! It's supposed to be 8Mbps/768k, but the bandwidth shaping consistently says otherwise.

I pay ~$80.00 for a home phone, North American long-distance and 24/4 VDSL2 bundle. Not too bad. That's through a local ISP.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

I pay ~$80.00 for a home phone, North American long-distance and 24/4 VDSL2 bundle. Not too bad. That's through a local ISP.

Cripes!

I was about to go and revert to dial up for $9/mo.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Cripes!

I was about to go and revert to dial up for $9/mo.

My DSL by itself is $38.00 IIRC.
smile.gif

I tether to my phone for Internet through SaskTel. 65 a month,unlimited data,200 long distance minutes and 300 daytime minutes. I never go over so I figure 65 is a great deal,especially considering I'm on the net steady most of the day

Pretty good speed there...

Thinking I'm paying 30/month for 20 megs myself....still in promo mode though for a while...

Honestly for posting on BITOG or loading most normal websites, there is the same latencies and there is no feel of any greater speed. I was always happy with DSL except for streaming stuff or uploading hi-res photos.

But Im not seeing anything substantially different for regular browsing. Big files Im sure I will... Then again, just downloaded a 7MB movie that my wife had emailed earlier, and it only came down at 286k/sec, my old 768k DSL would download these iphone videos at around 120kb/sec...

Status
Not open for further replies.