Is $1800 for a 99 Cadillac DeVille a good deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If i was looking in your price range i would be after a crown vic or the caprice both very durable cars, even then theres no promises in a 1000 dollar car. I think your in a tough spot anyways as you state the lady friend has her heart set on a jeep, I have been married for twenty years and i know when the wife sets her mind to something there's no changing it.

Originally Posted By: hemitom
If i was looking in your price range i would be after a crown vic or the caprice both very durable cars, even then theres no promises in a 1000 dollar car. I think your in a tough spot anyways as you state the lady friend has her heart set on a jeep, I have been married for twenty years and i know when the wife sets her mind to something there's no changing it.

Well, I DID present to her: 1996 Caprice for $950OBO

I also presented: 1999 Grand Cherokee Edmunds review

1996 Caprice Edmunds Review

Right now, she is debating.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Grand Cherokees use ATF+4 only.

So i should select the Castrol specifically marked ATF+4 fluid, not Maxlife, if we even get that far. Understood.

I await the verdict........ 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 4.0 vs 1996 (last year of) Caprice.

07.gif

You should be all over that Caprice. End of discussion. That JGC will nickel and dime you to death in the end.

My opinion coming from someone who bought a reconstructed title car where water kissed the rockers. Water finds strange and interesting ways into trannies, etc.

Any ATF+4 will do. Again think before you jump into this. Drive the jeep check to make sure all the important stuff works take a quick look at the brakes, make sure the cats are there, this thing still has to pass a state inspection brakes alone will set you back the better part of 1000.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/cto/3644753518.html

3L73Mf3I75N25K55Hcd2q8ced28b78b901898.jpg

There ya' go.

I'm pretty sure the 4.3 V8 had Optispark...Know the 5.7 did. Kinda' a weak spot. The water pump is a little pricey and if you lose the water pump you'll probably lose the Optispark too, but otherwise it's solid.

My dad held onto his Police Package Caprice Cruiser as long as he could. Sure, the turning radius was bad but when you pushed down on the pedal, the CVPIs in the chase could not match it. The upsidedown bathtub would go.

It survived police duty a long time.

And it may have been made here in Arlington. Quick check inside the driver's door for a Texas shaped sticker will usually show where it came from.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Originally Posted By: eljefino
http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/cto/3644753518.html

3L73Mf3I75N25K55Hcd2q8ced28b78b901898.jpg

There ya' go.

I'm pretty sure the 4.3 V8 had Optispark...Know the 5.7 did. Kinda' a weak spot. The water pump is a little pricey and if you lose the water pump you'll probably lose the Optispark too, but otherwise it's solid.

My dad held onto his Police Package Caprice Cruiser as long as he could. Sure, the turning radius was bad but when you pushed down on the pedal, the CVPIs in the chase could not match it. The upsidedown bathtub would go.

It survived police duty a long time.

And it may have been made here in Arlington. Quick check inside the driver's door for a Texas shaped sticker will usually show where it came from.

If we can get close to the $940 as an offer, it would be that...

.. preliminary indications says "She wants the Jeep."
*I asked if I should call ken right now and explain what is going on. She said "No."

Just sayin'.

Any ATF+4 will do. Again think before you jump into this. Drive the jeep check to make sure all the important stuff works take a quick look at the brakes, make sure the cats are there, this thing still has to pass a state inspection brakes alone will set you back the better part of 1000.

Oh, if I get to the point of trading the TV and the whatever cash I have, it is getting driven. I want to see how this tranny shifts. I will likely even drain some out and put some new in, right then and there, to see if it is pink.

When/if it comes time to change hands, I am driving the thing to evaluate. Definitely.

Quick question: would "hidden water" in a trans not only turn the trans fluid that pinkish color, but also make the trans not shift right? That is where I get my "Drain and fill" idea. And I can Google where the drain bolt is. ??....

Oddly, the motor looked clean, very much so.

Again: Even if I did have the $950 or Ken (I don't,) I need the green light from the Ms. And I don't have that yet. She was HAPPY when the Volvo went because she wanted a Jeep. She told me exactly this. More than once. So, here we are.

ATF+4 is on the pink side when you look at it on the dipstick when new . water and transmissions do not play well together . On a side note were these videos taken recently?

Last edited:
ATF+4 is on the pink side when you look at it on the dipstick when new . water and transmissions do not play well together . On a side note were these videos taken recently?

Today, 2PM, by me
, when I went to see the Jeep. Yes. That video you see is the 99 Jeep I refer to, the candidate for being bought by a TV trade plus cash.

I also have this photo:

858303_470695969663621_2138941781_o_zpsf10e231e.jpg

Also... Doesn't trans fluid get black if it is all used up? I thought trans fluid was that darker red color, ATF+4 is more pink than red?

I read that "ATF turns pink as a sign of water contamination."

Originally Posted By: GearheadTool

Has she even tried sitting in it to see if it fits?

Yes atf darkens with age, black is usually burnt fluid, water and atf will not mix you will see the seperation of the two

In the photo the seatbelt is draped across the seat if its not retracting and locking under braking is this not a failure on your state inspection?? one of many problems i tend to think this jeep may have.

Come on guys, you know what he wants to hear from you. Just say it and get it over with.

"It is a great Jeep, go for it!"

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: GearheadTool

Has she even tried sitting in it to see if it fits?

No, she hasn't. She also did not first sit in the Volvo, to see if she fit. I showed her pictures, and she said "I can fit in that."

She sat in the 2002 Subaru Outback, and she did NOT fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back