Synthetic on a severe schedule?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,
I just got a new 2013 Hyundai Accent, and I've got a few oil questions. Info in the format listed in the sticky:

1. 2013 Hyundai Accent (1.6L GDI)
2. Owner's manual oil requirement says:
API Service SM*3,
ILSAC GF-4 or above

10W-30 above 0 degrees F
5W-20 above -20 degrees F

3. Live in a large downtown in Texas
4. It's a commuter car, so I'm not particularly hard on it (rarely exceed 4000 rpm)
5. Commute is 8 miles one way, about 2 miles of that is stop and go city and the rest is 55-80mph highway. Importantly, the ambient temperature during summer drive time is 95-105F. With errands and such, it usually averages to 20 miles a day, with 20% in city traffic.
6. No known problems

Because of the commute, I appear to fall into the "severe" service schedule, which recommends oil changes every 3750 miles (vs normal @7500). I plan on getting the services done at the dealer, at least initially.

Here are my questions:
1. Is a severe schedule appropriate, or is a normal schedule more appropriate?
2. Is it worth getting synthetic? I understand one of the main benefits of synthetic is it's longevity, so I'd hate paying extra for that only to see it thrown away a few months later. That being said, I do plan on keeping this car for at least the next 100k miles, so I'd happily pay a premium if synthetic would reduce wear.
3. It sounds like anymore most brand name oils are good quality, and I imagine the dealer uses some cheap brand name in bulk. Are there any brand names I should avoid?

8 miles, texas? 20 miles a day with 80% highway? Nah, not severe.

My mother has to do 5 block commutes with a ton of stuff. We found from UOA that using a good syn oil (M1) let us do non severe interval with this kind of use.

THe best thing to do is pull a UOA. If you have fuel or moisture in the oil, it will see it.

The other best thing to do is take it on a 50+ mile highway drive now and again.

Just use a synthetic 10w30 and change every 5000 and you will be fine. Mobil1, Pennzoil, Quaker State, Valvoline will do fine. Any of these on a 5000 mile OCI will keep that engine very clean and going well past 100k.

Last edited:
Although I agree with the other posters, I believe you'd want to keep your warranty valid until 100k. Right?
3750 at dealer or with quality dino and DIY w/ Hyundai OEM filters.

After 100k feel free to extend.

From what everyone says about Hyundai, you don't want to give them *any* reason to void your warranty.

Isn't just driving a Hyundai severe service? (J/K)
M1 or QSUD or (??) 10w30 5-7k mile oci. Use only the Hyundai korean OE factory filters.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: txhyundaiguy
Hi everyone,
I just got a new 2013 Hyundai Accent, and I've got a few oil questions. Info in the format listed in the sticky:

1. 2013 Hyundai Accent (1.6L GDI)
2. Owner's manual oil requirement says:
API Service SM*3,
ILSAC GF-4 or above

10W-30 above 0 degrees F
5W-20 above -20 degrees F

3. Live in a large downtown in Texas
4. It's a commuter car, so I'm not particularly hard on it (rarely exceed 4000 rpm)
5. Commute is 8 miles one way, about 2 miles of that is stop and go city and the rest is 55-80mph highway. Importantly, the ambient temperature during summer drive time is 95-105F. With errands and such, it usually averages to 20 miles a day, with 20% in city traffic.
6. No known problems

Because of the commute, I appear to fall into the "severe" service schedule, which recommends oil changes every 3750 miles (vs normal @7500). I plan on getting the services done at the dealer, at least initially.

Here are my questions:
1. Is a severe schedule appropriate, or is a normal schedule more appropriate?
2. Is it worth getting synthetic? I understand one of the main benefits of synthetic is it's longevity, so I'd hate paying extra for that only to see it thrown away a few months later. That being said, I do plan on keeping this car for at least the next 100k miles, so I'd happily pay a premium if synthetic would reduce wear.
3. It sounds like anymore most brand name oils are good quality, and I imagine the dealer uses some cheap brand name in bulk. Are there any brand names I should avoid?

1/ Sounds like moderate service, so a 5K mile oil only change with a 10K mile oil and filter change IF the OEM filter is rated for at least 10K miles. You could use a top quality (Mobil EP?) long life oil filter if not, or just change both.
2/ Just use a major brand 5/30 all year (Castrol, Mobil, Shell or Liqui Moly) if you change oil at 5K, otherwise use a major brand full synthetic 0 or 5/30 and get a UOA with TBN at 5K to see if 7.5 or even 10K is possible.
3/ It might be an idea to look for oil companies that do special offers in your area, but still have a name you recognise.

Last edited:
With a new car, doesnt the first few oil changes occur within a short amount of time? Personally, follow MFR recommendations. Put in 10w30 and change as per dealer guidelines. Its not severe service. 10W30 dino will do just fine... if anything goes wrong with the accent, it will be something other than oil or your engine that causes problems. As long as you change the oil as per recommendations you wont have any problems. My 2001 accent took regular oil, and rough driving and still no issues with the engine and im at 124k miles. If you are going to have the dealer change the oil have them use the bulk dino 10w30. If you changed oil yourself you can justify getting some syn on sale to make it worthwhile..

run conventional like MS5k every 3750. it cheap will protect your engine just as well as a synthetic under your conditions, and most importantly it is an affordable way to keep your car protected under warranty. change it every 3750 until your warranty is up. that's my opinion.

Any 5k or 3.7k with syn falls into the quote" You have a moral obligation to take money from suckers!In no way would syn wear better than dino with 5 or 3.7k. So also keep in mind if Hyundai thinks you should have been on a severe plan the posters here on BITOG will not be at your side. The weather in Texas at best is severe. 100 k is alot and I hear Hyundai are real strict. You will not be able to say wingnut on BITOG said it was not severe!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back