Charging 46% of item cost for ground shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just when you think you've seen it all....

A place called "Impact Guns" has some ammo on hand. The price for the ammo isn't that bad either.

So, I put 5 boxes of $20 ammo in the cart, go to check out, enter my zip code to estimate ground shipping.... and it comes back as $46.00.

Yes, $46 to ship 5 boxes ($100 worth) of .40 plinking ammo, via ground.

Wow.

So what it *really* means, is that the ammo is really priced at $26 a box, and the shipping for the five boxes is actually $16.

See, those numbers seem realistic. What bothers me is the deceptive way that they get there...

It's lead. Freight is expensive. Is it legal to ship it in a priority mail flat rate box?
laugh.gif

I will be glad (as I am sure everyone else will be too) when all of this mess settles down. I have a need for 3 AR uppers and I should have bought them several months ago but did not. At current pricing...I will pass until much later...

You see a lot of this on ebay as well... many items will have a low purchase price but astronomical shipping charge to bypass having to pay extra fees to ebay which are (or used to be) based on the sale price of the item and not on the shipping price.

Some interesting transactions on Amazon, too. I recently bought a deodorant there. The cost was $0.01 plus $4.99 for shipping.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
It's lead. Freight is expensive. Is it legal to ship it in a priority mail flat rate box?
laugh.gif

5 boxes of .40 isn't *THAT* heavy... 10 pounds.

Actual cost using published Ground rates (and they will definitely be getting some sort of a discount) = $14.00

There's a considerable difference in $14 and $46.

Hazz-mat shipping reqired I think. If they are loaded rounds USPS will not ship. There is a standard fee. Fed-ex and UPS only. Plus it is heavy.

Seriously, if you are not in dire straights in need of ammo, like zombies in your garden. This is the worst time to buy ammo, calm down relax and wait. Gouging is rampant and no one cares about giving it to the gun nuts. Believe me if there ever is a revolution, there will be ammo everywhere. Plus I want thier guns, They are so much nicer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

A lot of companies make their money on what they charge for shipping, but it's got to do with some crazy shipping software also.
My post is going to be a long one, but bare with me.
My '97 F250 threw a CEL lately, so I pulled the code. Turns out I need an upstream O2 sensor. My '96 4.0 Jeep also needs a thermostat housing gasket. So, I go to RockAuto and put the VICTOR REINZ Part #C24003VF thermostat gasket in my cart, along with the zip code to figure shipping costs. The price is $5.81 for the gasket and (wait for it....) $17.22 for the shipping. That is the cheapest option. There is no option for the USPS shipping, just 2-3 day UPS shipping. DANG! Remember that this COULD be shipped for $.46 postage.
So now I go looking for the O2 sensor that my pickup needs. I put the DENSO Part # 2344071 OE Style sensor for $24.79 into my cart and the shipping for the O2 sensor is $12.63, but since it is shipped from a different location than the gasket, I still have the $17.22 charge for shipping also. So there is now a total of $29.85 shipping for something that could be shipped for under $2 by mail. $29.85 IS THE CHEAPEST SHIPPING OPTION so far. I now delete the #C24003VF thermostat gasket from my cart, but my cheapest shipping option for just the O2 sensor only is $12.63. Again, that is the cheapest shipping option. I now add the VICTOR REINZ Part # C24003 paper thermostat gasket, priced at $.80 to the cart and suddenly my shipping is only $3.45 total for both items. So ordering the O2 sensor only costs $12.63 for shipping, but if I add a paper thermostat gasket along with the O2 sensor, the shipping suddenly goes down to $3.45.
Crazy.
Do you now see why I try to do internet business with companies that give free shipping?

Originally Posted By: tom slick
The $25 Hazmat fee doesn't apply to loaded ammo, only powder and primers.

Correct.

I have 0% loyalty when it comes to buying ammo. Who ever has what I want when I ready to buy at the lowest price gets my business. I've had ammo in my shopping cart with ship to info filled out only to be hit with excessive shipping myself. It's easy to try the next vendor thanks to the interwebz.

Do check out gun-deals.com for lowest prices. They don't sell anything there, they are just a price aggregator. I've gotten much ammo from vendors I didn't know about before I found them there.

BSW

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

A lot of companies make their money on what they charge for shipping, but it's got to do with some crazy shipping software also.
My post is going to be a long one, but bare with me.
My '97 F250 threw a CEL lately, so I pulled the code. Turns out I need an upstream O2 sensor. My '96 4.0 Jeep also needs a thermostat housing gasket. So, I go to RockAuto and put the VICTOR REINZ Part #C24003VF thermostat gasket in my cart, along with the zip code to figure shipping costs. The price is $5.81 for the gasket and (wait for it....) $17.22 for the shipping. That is the cheapest option. There is no option for the USPS shipping, just 2-3 day UPS shipping. DANG! Remember that this COULD be shipped for $.46 postage.
So now I go looking for the O2 sensor that my pickup needs. I put the DENSO Part # 2344071 OE Style sensor for $24.79 into my cart and the shipping for the O2 sensor is $12.63, but since it is shipped from a different location than the gasket, I still have the $17.22 charge for shipping also. So there is now a total of $29.85 shipping for something that could be shipped for under $2 by mail. $29.85 IS THE CHEAPEST SHIPPING OPTION so far. I now delete the #C24003VF thermostat gasket from my cart, but my cheapest shipping option for just the O2 sensor only is $12.63. Again, that is the cheapest shipping option. I now add the VICTOR REINZ Part # C24003 paper thermostat gasket, priced at $.80 to the cart and suddenly my shipping is only $3.45 total for both items. So ordering the O2 sensor only costs $12.63 for shipping, but if I add a paper thermostat gasket along with the O2 sensor, the shipping suddenly goes down to $3.45.
Crazy.
Do you now see why I try to do internet business with companies that give free shipping?

Rockauto is perverse but they know it is. They have an option to make as many things come from the same warehouse as possible to save on shipping, and to try different brands etc to achieve this. I suspect they drop ship most of their stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back