Transfer Case Lube - Shift-On-The-Fly/Part-time

Status
Not open for further replies.
In another thread I was discussing Ford's newer XL-12 Transfer Case Fluid. Instead of calling for Mercon or MerconV (or LV) as they previously did...it's now called Transfer Case Fluid. In my 2013 F150...a sample revealed something I would have bet was ATF. Red and smelled like ATF but called XL-12. (Note: Ford still calls for LV in the new trucks using the "torque-on-demand" transfer cases)

My dealer is making the claim that it's old spec Mercon...which isn't used by Ford any longer in any transmission but is actually better than new ATF's in simple gear/chain units like t-cases. Last place I remember seeing basic "Mercon" called for was in the power steering of my 2005 SuperDuty Powerstroke truck. The XL-12 bottle supposedly says "not for use in automatic transmissions". And supposedly the new V and LV ATF bottles say "not for use in transfer cases". I've not really looked at either bottle to verify for myself. The re-badging of this product keeps old Mercon from being accidentally put in a new transmission...from what I've heard. This does make sense it it's all true.

Nonetheless...I've actually read some pretty good arguments for using 5W-20 or 5W-30 synthetic motor oil in transfer cases by one particular rebuilder of GM HD pickup transfer cases that were prone to certain kinds of failure. In fact...it's the only way their warranty will be valid after a rebuild. I owned a 2002 Chevy HD2500 4x4 Duramax for several years and switched to Mobil-1 5W-20 in the transfer case with no observed problems over a few year period.

And I've seen certain ATF's referred to as 0W-20 oil weight by manufacturers. So I'm wondering if 0W-20 might in fact be a better lubricant for simple devices like shiftable transfer cases. If you consider the parts inside them...it makes some sense. If not...why has ATF become the recommended lubricant often spec'd in transfer cases? What makes ATF so great for bearings and chains over a engine oil?

Transfer Case Fluid is recommended by Ford Motor Company for use in transfer cases driving front axles on Ford, Lincoln and Mercury AWD/4X4 vehicles. For use in transfer cases where MERCON® ATF was previously recommended. Do not use in AWD vehicles equipped with a transaxle
Motorcraft® Transfer Case Fluid is manufactured with high-viscosity index, premium-quality, hydroprocessed base oils and specially designed performance additives to provide increased protection against deposit, rust, corrosion, and wear and maintains proper viscosity at extreme temperatures
Do not use in automatic transmissions, manual transmissions, power take off units (PTU) or fluid couplers

Part Number XL-12
Specification Number ESP-M2C166-H

Here is the spec: http://www.chrysanindustries.com/pdf/products/ford166h.pdf

So apparently XL-12 is ATF with friction modifier for the clutch pack.

What clutch pack exists in my transfer case? The only transfer case that would possibly use a clutch is the torque-on-demand cases that my 2013 manual requires the use of LV.

The product description doesn't mention friction modifiers. But the spec write up does...but that seems in terms of automatic tranmission usage from 1981.

So I guess old Mercon would meet all the claims of the new XL-12. If that's the spec for old Mercon. The 2013 manual doesn't make mention of a spec for XL-12.

Originally Posted By: neilLB7
Nonetheless...I've actually read some pretty good arguments for using 5W-20 or 5W-30 synthetic motor oil in transfer cases by one particular rebuilder of GM HD pickup transfer cases that were prone to certain kinds of failure. In fact...it's the only way their warranty will be valid after a rebuild. I owned a 2002 Chevy HD2500 4x4 Duramax for several years and switched to Mobil-1 5W-20 in the transfer case with no observed problems over a few year period.

I'm going to take exception to that portion of your statements. I realize your specific topic is about the Ford fluid, but you brought up a topic I'm very familiar with, and want to address. Especially concerning the possibility of folks mis-understanding the fluid choices ...

I did a VERY detailed write-up over at DieselPlace several years ago about the topic of motor oil in the t-case in GM trucks. I would ask anyone to go over there and read it (maintenance and fluids section, as I recall).

The source of that motor-oil topic:
here is the direct link to the RSG article (read what is page 49 on paper):
http://www.rsgear.com/articles/2007_03.pdf
Essentially, Mike Weinberg of RSG noted that when they did reman jobs on those NV261/263 cases, they were often low or empty of fluid. He simply guessed that motor oil would last longer in the t-case than the GM spec'd ATF (formerly DEXIII). That's it; nothing more than a shade-tree swag because in his mind "thicker is better". I know; I actually interviwed him directly via email about the topic. He wrote an article for an industry trade magazine; that is where the topic originates from. He did absolutely no research whatsoever into the issue of fluid compatibilies, fluid properties, etc; it was a swag for him based upon shade-tree-mechanic mentality. Also, I'll note that he never said to use "synthetic" oil, just "5w-30 motor oil".

I also did thorough research by talking with NVG (New Venture Gear who mades those t-cases at the time), and the Reman Industry association, and Jasper Engines (another reputable reman entity), and a host of other sources. I checked directly with Amsoil; I looked up many other lube sites, etc. I may be annoying, but I'm nothing if not fair and detailed. I could not find one single source aside from Mike that makes that recommendation. Every single other source specfically states to follow OEM specifications (in this case, use ATF).

In short, Weignberg blamed the lack of fluid in the t-case on the ATF. His opinion is that it evaporates and motor oil would not. Really - that's his simple explanation? Last time I checked, fluid levels are the responsibility of the operator. If one is so stupid as to run your t-case completely empty, no amount of ATF, or motor oil, or gear oil, or banana-cream pie filling, is going to save the equipment. The complete lack of fluid resulting in the destruction of equipment is not the fault of the fluid; it's the fault of the operator! A failure to maintain adequate fluid level is not akin to fault of a lube.

Further, he also not only said to use motor oil, but to over-fill it by one quart. Since it is a two-quart system, that is a 50% over-fill! For those who have worked around gearboxes, it is often a VERY bad idea to over-fill, as aeration can be promoted. 50% over-fill is not needed. And I have to question his logic here ...
If he believes that motor oil would not evaporate, then why the need to over-fill?
If he believes that over-filling is a necessity, then is that not an acknowledgement that fluid levels will indeed fluctuate, and that the owner EVENTUALLY is responsible for maintaining the fluid level, REGARDLESS of what brand/grade/base-stock is in the equipment?

And here is a grand sense of silliness I see in his article; he specifically states that after installing his brand of remanufactured t-case, the owner should check the fluid "every 5,000 miles and change every 10,000 miles". Really? So, he recommends that we should check our fluid levels, but he blames the ATF for a condition of being low rather than a result of poor maintenance habits? Would not that very same condition happen if one never checked the motor oil in the t-case he recommends? If motor oil is the end-all/be-all solution to this problem, then why does he recommend to check it every 5k miles? I actually own one of these NV261 units; I can assure you that even ATF lasts WELL past 5k miles!

Now, in theory, if evaporation is your concern with ATF, then are there alternatives to motor oil? YES! I would even go so far as to say that there is an excellent choice that stays 100% within the confines of OEM specs, and yet upgrades the fluid. Yes, folks, I'm actually going to recommend the use of synthetics here! Why not use a DEX/Merc type fluid that is synthetic based? Why not use an ATF such as Amsoil "ATF" or "ATD", or Mobil 1 ATF, or any host of other synthetic ATF products that are already targeted directly at the former Dex/Merc applications? What silliness is it that one thinks a synthetic motor oil would save the day, but a synthetic ATF would fail?????? Pure lunacy!

Now - none of my discussion says that motor oil will not work. Some folks use it with no problems whatsoever. The evidence is, at best, anecdotal. I've seen no evidence that motor oil has failed to protect these t-cases. But then again, I've not seen any evidence (excluding pure fluid neglect) that ATF does not also protect very well.

When you really pick, scratch and dig into Mike's suggestion, it's full of iorny and contradictions, and is a simple swag and nothing more!

There is even a bit of irony in the world, in a larger part. I'll explain ...
In the world of Harley-Davidson motorcycles, they use a chain-driven primary case. The approved H-D fluid for that application is, essentially, motor oil (a rose by any other name ...)
And yet, there are some H-D faithful that will always be seeking something "better" (sounds like some BITOGers we know, right?). And so, in their vain effort to find this "better" alternative, they eschew their H-D approved oil in favor of ... wait for it .... ATF! Gee - seems odd to me. Some GM owners would walk away from their ATF in favor of motor oil in their chain-driven t-case, but some H-D folks will walk away from their motor oil in favor of ATF in their chain-driven primary gearbox. I've seen both the t-cases and the primary cases apart; they are NOT much different in design and context, folks. And yet the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, is it not? Talk about irony!

The "approved" fluid in those GM t-cases is ATF (former DEX III). That is what GM spec'd; that is what NV designed for and field tested.

Will motor oil work in this type of application? Apparently it will. And perhaps that's an indication that the applications themselves are probably not really very sensitive to fluid selection. But warranty is very senstive.

Let me summarize with this: I don't care what other folks use; do as you wish. But I get miffed when folks state that motor oil is a proven solution to this problem. It's not; it's a swag from a guy that did no research and has serious flaws in his logic on this topic. I'm cannot say that a motor oil would assure failure, but I can state with 100% certainty that keeping the properly spec'd fluid at the correct level would mean you'd never have to buy one of Mike's remanufactured t-cases in the first place!

Caveot Emptor!
Rant over.

Last edited:
Please don't be "miffed" at me. I'm not making ANY claim that motor oil IS a proven solution or a better lubricant in anything. I asked what others think about using motor oil in place of ATF. And it is a fact that I have read decent suggestions (in my humble opinion) FOR using motor oil in transfer cases on pickups. And it was their claim, not mine. I'm just stating the basic claim that's out there.

It's been a few years...but the article you linked to is not the one I remember reading. And overfilling beyond normal capacity is well beyond the scope of what I was asking.

While I may or may not agree with that article, just because his personal argument appears incoherent...that alone is no proof that a motor oil isn't a good choice for light duty transfer cases. It may or may not be, but he doesn't seem to know or provide real proof. So we shouldn't listen to him it seems. Perhaps if he had some wear data it would help him. Or data on "evaporation"...which I can't imagine is possbile in these.

Other than ATF being recommended by the OEM...my question, more or less, is WHY is ATF better in transfer cases than gear or motor oil? What is better about ATF that makes it THE choice? I could claim that the recommendation for me to use ATF because a manual recommends such is anecdotal to me as well. Without any proof...it's just something I read too. And manuals never provide the proof why. I've personally seen no scientific results or reasoning that OEM's used to prove ATF is the way to go. I know they are telling me ATF...but why?

"but I can state with 100% certainty that keeping the properly spec'd fluid at the correct level would mean you'd never have to buy one of Mike's remanufactured t-cases in the first place!"

I'd say with 100% certainty that a transfer case will eventually wear out no matter what. And you will eventually need a new one regardless of fluid choice or level maintained. Never is a long time. (I know...I'm playing with words :))

When I look at HD transfer cases in larger trucks and equipment...they usually have some sort of lubricating oil in them and not an ATF oil. Some even have 80W-90. This is where my question comes from since the first time I drained ATF out of a gear box.

And...typically I use Mobil synthetic ATF when I drain a transfer case and refill with ATF. Except in the one case where I tried motor oil on my GM.

neilBL7 -

my apologies; was not meaning that I was "miffed" at you personally. I understand you were merely bringing up a topic as conversation. I take exception to the poorly reasoned concepts and contradictory info in Mike's article. I have no issue with you and apologize if it came down as such.

I, too, use Mobil 1 ATF in my NV261 t-case. I check the fluid level every 10k miles, and I have yet to see any change in the level whatsoever. So I'm using a properly spec'd fluid, and getting the very result desired.

No offense taken. You're fine. I just wanted to make sure it was clear I wasn't pushing it as a proven way to go. I was very nervous when I first tried it...knowing I was doing something that I didn't have much proof for except some things I'd read on the internet. We all know how dangerous that can be.

Ford underfilled this new 2013 F150 transfer case by about 8oz. I topped it off with Mercon SP I had laying around for my diesel Torqshift transmission. I didn't have any "transfer case fluid" or basic Mercon.

I think I'm going to probably drain and refill with Mobil Synthetic ATF at my next oil change sooner if I get a chance. It'll be fine until then I'm sure but don't want to mix long term.

I'd trust Mobil Syn ATF in any typical transfer case calling for anything ATF for lube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back