New Bilsteins on Silverado

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPP

I posted a quick review on an old post I made several weeks ago and wanted to add to it in a new post.
I pulled the stock shocks on my '02 Silverado 4WD with just over 93,000 miles and they were in bad shape. Took the new 5100's for an hour test ride this morning over everything I could find from highway to washboard country roads to railroad tracks etc..... I could not be happier. They are smooth on the highway and handle outstanding on rough dirt roads. Firm ride without being harsh. Thumbs up!
thumbsup2.gif

JP

Last edited:
Bilsteins is OEM of many high performance German vehicles, it costs a little more than most others but the quality is top notch and it will lasted very long long time.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Good to know! I will be getting these for my truck this spring.

***** If you get the 5100's you will Not be disappointed. I can't speak for the rest of their line, I just know I did a ton of research and pulled the trigger on these. Over my years I have learned you get what ya pay for. Got a really good deal and really good CService at AJ-USA btw......

JP

autozone hates me. I go back every 2 years for 4 new Bilstein's for my Ranger. They get all jazzed when they make a $500 sale, then I go back for my money (utilizing my lifetime warranty) and they get to scramble to come up with cash.
I'd rather get a set of KYB Gas-A-Just's cuz they'll be easier on my back, but.. just the sheer joy of watching them get all upset is priceless!

While Bilstein makes a great shock, something about straying from OE on something like a shock makes me a bit uneasy.

Originally Posted By: RamFan
While Bilstein makes a great shock, something about straying from OE on something like a shock makes me a bit uneasy.

*** Don't be uneasy..... if you saw the quality of an OE low budget shock compared to a high quality shock or part you'd change your mind! Remember, they will put on the bare minimum on some new parts on most new cars... just enough to get by a few years.

JP

Last edited:
I had the KYB's GR2's and they are no comparison to the Bilstein yellow struts now on my CRV. Sure the ride is a little harsh at first but I did get use to it. I am a true believer in Bilsteins!!!!!!

Originally Posted By: JPP

*** Don't be uneasy..... if you saw the quality of an OE low budget shock compared to a high quality shock or part you'd change your mind! Remember, they will put on the bare minimum on some new parts on most new cars... just enough to get by a few years.

JP

This x2. The OE shocks on my Jeep were pretty cheaply made, and dealer price is ridiculous. I put a set of Old Man Emu Nitrocharger shocks on it and it rides 10 times better than it did from the factory.

Originally Posted By: JPP
I posted a quick review on an old post I made several weeks ago and wanted to add to it in a new post.
I pulled the stock shocks on my '02 Silverado 4WD with just over 93,000 miles and they were in bad shape. Took the new 5100's for an hour test ride this morning over everything I could find from highway to washboard country roads to railroad tracks etc..... I could not be happier. They are smooth on the highway and handle outstanding on rough dirt roads. Firm ride without being harsh. Thumbs up!
thumbsup2.gif

JP

I had 60K on my 5100's till the shaft sheared from the bottom mount.

I have bilstein hds on my Silverado. They are nice. I wish I could go back in time and get the 5100s.

Bilsteins have been used OE by GM on the S10 chassis at least.

My ZR2 has them from the factory. I recall blazers and other S10s having different color code bilsteins OE.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Billsteins have been used OE by GM on the S10 chassis at least.

My ZR2 has them from the factory. I recall blazers and other S10s having different color code bilsteins OE.

Bilsteins were used on The S10s with the ZQ8 suspensions some years and De carbon shocks were used in between years. They were orange instead of yellow.

Before 1998 Bilsteins were used on fullsize Chevys with Z71 off road suspension. After 1998 Tenneco made the Z71 shocks and they were red. Tenneco owns Monroe.

The Rancho off road shocks used on some late model Chevys are also made by Tenneco. They are different than the after market Rancho shocks you can purchase. BTW Tenneco also owns Rancho shocks.

Last edited:
My 98 chevy Z71 that I bought new came with the Bilstein shocks. These were the "comfort" version. I later installed the Bilstein HD's on this truck and is what I still have on to this day. Very good shocks.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Bilsteins is OEM of many high performance German vehicles, it costs a little more than most others but the quality is top notch and it will lasted very long long time.

My 1991 BMW motorcycle came with a Bilstein fully adjustable rear shock, it lasted 21 years before the main seal went kaboom. They are well made. And even in the later years of its life you could still feel the difference when you changed the rebound damping setting.

I replaced the factory shocks on my 2009 Colorado Z71 at 30,000 miles with Bilsteins. The factory shocks weren't totally bad, but the ride was bouncier than I desired, and one tire was showing some visible cupping. The Bilsteins are working out real well. It was worth the effort to replace the factory shocks.

I just threw on a full set of Bilstein 4600 HD yellows on my F150 a couple of months back, awesome product. I've always been a big Bilstein fan and they didn't disappoint here.

The OE Ford shocks went 200,000 miles and ~12 years though, and went about 150,000 miles before I began to notice any real performance degradation. I can't complain about the factory shocks at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back