OCI and oil for new (to me) driving style

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jdawg89
If I where closer id consider it, it'd cost me A LOT in gas with my suburban getting 8-10 w/o a load

I had a guy come down from near Buffalo to pick up a '75 T-bird a couple years ago. That car only got about 6-8 per gallon.
wink.gif
The Riv's strengths are solid body, engine I'm familiar with, simple to repair, and few emissions or electronics to fail. Its' weaknesses are high speed handling, oil leaks, and an engine I'm too familiar with. If I kept it, I'd want to go over the bottom end of the engine.

Originally Posted By: shell_user
So anyhow, keep us posted on the 63' Newport SS1970CHRYSLER!

The owner is washing it up for me to drive it home Monday afternoon. Car is "turn-key" and should only need a going over for general wear items. Most of which, would already be in my basement.

I'm getting a price on repairing the rear seal on the Riviera and an oil pump kit with new bearings a possibility. I had it up on the lift today and the catalytic convertor is full of pin holes. The split was on the heat shielding which I've cut away. The oil leak is definitely the rear main seal and it looks like time and the previous owner were the culprits. The oil pump kit installed by prior owner is a high pressure plate which may have blown out the seal before father time finished it off. Everything else underneath is just fine.

Originally Posted By: jdawg89
Yep,I love simplicity! I have an 84 suburban and I love it

That's one of the reasons I'm hesitating on the Riviera. This one doesn't even have the AIR pump system on it yet. I have 2 months on the stickers so I'm getting prices together and will split the $ from the Avenger between the '63 Chrysler and the Riv or its' replacement.
The title should be in before then easily.
Today, I moved the fleet around to give the '63 the same parking spot my old '64 had for tomorrow. Also started the Avenger and let it run a good 10-15 minutes. In my travels, I picked up some good Stanley deep socket sets for $12 each.

Last edited:
Looks nice!
cool.gif

Aren't those early-to-mid-50s wheel covers? I don't recall them in that era, and the script looks earlier.

Keep us posted!

Originally Posted By: eagle23
Looks nice!
cool.gif

Aren't those early-to-mid-50s wheel covers? I don't recall them in that era, and the script looks earlier.

Keep us posted!

Actually, they're from a '50 Saratoga I believe.
wink.gif

Now @3400 miles on Caddy, added 4th qt.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
How did it drive anyway? (the 63 Newport)

It drove fine, with the exception of lots of steering play. It does need upper control arm bushings on both sides and a gearbox adjustment at the least.

Changed the diff and engine oils in the '63 today. Used the AXT 10w-40 from in the trunk of the Riviera and a STP filter. Whatever was in there was there a long time so a cleanout with some cheap stuff was in order. I have 2 of those ecore filters and this is a good way to use them up. Used Service Pro 80w-90 GL4/5 in the axle.

@ 115.5k or 3.9k on oil, I changed out the oil and filter on the Caddy. I've stepped up to T5 with Bosch filter and we'll see what happens.
The Avenger is tentatively sold and the Riviera is getting a temporary reprieve since my mother is using it. her car needs an exhaust system and she just killed the battery the other day by leaving the lights on. After those 2 cars are out of my driveway, I can get to work on my '63.

I thought that the Avenger would be the perfect commuter for you.
Too bad it didn't work out.
Do you intend to use the '63 as a daily driver?

Originally Posted By: addyguy
UOA?

Coming in a week..

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I thought that the Avenger would be the perfect commuter for you.
Too bad it didn't work out.
Do you intend to use the '63 as a daily driver?

Semi-daily and also "pet project" of sorts. I'm doing an exhaust, ignition, and steering parts upgrade. This will take me some time. The oil leaks on the caddy are nearly gone and I'm going to bet on it as my #1 workhorse. I think it may have nearly another 100k in it.
The Riviera is now just the family "loaner or spare" and will be gone by summer.
I haven't closed the book on newer cars, but that Avenger was horrible to sit in. I'll likely buy one more car during the year as my high miles run them down quickly, but haven't decided what. Likely, it'll be whatever is the best deal in front of me at the time. I've been trying to steer my mother into something cheaper to run or easier to get parts for then the '78 LTD, but no luck yet. As it is, I'm loaning her about a grand to fix the LTD once again.

Last edited:
As far as newer cars go, how about one of the recently discontinued Crown Vics?
That would probably be a comfortable car to sit in, would be reasonably economical and is known to endure hard use and high miles pretty well.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
As far as newer cars go, how about one of the recently discontinued Crown Vics?
That would probably be a comfortable car to sit in, would be reasonably economical and is known to endure hard use and high miles pretty well.

Good luck prying one of those from its owner around here. I've considered those, 5th avenues, Concordes, Intrepids, Park Avenues, 88's, Luminas and similar. My best value for the dollar still comes from my old battle cruisers. The '63 is targeted as being my 2nd car. It's quick enough, simple enough, and drives like a car should. You sit in the seats, not on them. It should turn in the same or better mileage as the Riviera with a little work and not chug oil. It has no options, safety, or smog junk in my way and doesn't merit a medal for working on it.
Truthfully, the last cars made that I didn't want to slam the hood shut and walk away after looking were: 1989 5th Ave/Gran Fury/Diplomat, 1991 CV/GM/LTC, 1991 Lesabre/PA/88/98, 1992 Cad. Brougham(Fleetwood). All the other junk out there should come with combat hazard pay for even trying.

Added 4th qt to the Riviera. It's back now since I fixed her LTD this morning.
The '63 is just a good, simple car that I can play with and even drive to work when I get the "classic car" Jones. My commute is somewhat boring and long, so being able to mix it up some is good. I drove a '64 as my daily driver for years so I know what I have. These aren't very popular, especially in the 4dr sedan body style, and this one would've wound up being a parts car or getting scrapped for the drivetrain. As long as I can keep steel on it, it will make a great 2nd car. At the very least, it's great spare parts for my others.
I'm also negotiating to buy a 1978 new Yorker Brougham for my collection. I still needed one of the last C-body cars for my set.
Realistically, the Caddy should run at least this year. But having something "on-deck" is essential with the high miles it has.

In the early 1980s the clerical assistant we worked with...an utterly delightful, matronly woman...had a New Yorker of that era. It was of course only about 5 yr old at the time.

I used to joke with her that, given its size, she'd probably had small accidents in it she knew nothing about
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back