Shell T6 and filter question for new Honda nc700x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello I have a 2012 NC700x and love it! I have about 120 miles on her and have a couple questions about oil and filters. I am wanting to run the Shell T-6 in this bike because it seems to be a very popular choice. I was also wondering if anyone use car oil filters in there bikes? I have done this with good results. Is there a list that cross-reference list from bike filters to vehicle as far as filters go?

Not sure what they even spec for that bike as it is very new to the market.

The engine is basically a Honda Jazz engine cut in half so the filters are probably fairly similar.

I would stick with what Hond specify as Hondas are known to be very reliable.

Never owned a bad Honda and had several.

NTV 600 and 650. CG125, MTX125, CB250RS, XBR500 and the usual CBR600.

All ran to huge mileages with basic servicing.

Several of those bikes didn't even have an oil filter, just a strainer.

My scooter didn't have a filter. Hence the 1000mile oil changes.

Last edited:
Honda says to run 10w-30. I had a 2010 Honda shadow and it said to put 10w-30 or 10w-40 in it so that was why I ran the shell rottela t6.

While under warranty I would run what Honda says you should. After warranty you may want to feel more adventurous. Rotella does make a 10w30 diesel oil, may want to look at that.

Originally Posted By: Kyonic
Hello I have a 2012 NC700x and love it!

Did you get the one with traditional 6-speed manual box or the DCT one?

It's an interesting looking adventure bike, alas a bit underpowered when compared to other bikes in this class such as Kawasaki Versys or Triumph Tiger 800, alas the Tiger is more expensive.

Still, it doesn't take hundreds of HP to have fun on a bike, and from what I've read the engine in this Honda is tuned for low rpm torque so you don't have to wring it out. The 6.5K rpm redline makes it more similar to a car engine, and it'll probably be easy on oil. What is the sump capacity?

Have you owned any other bikes before this one? Curious how it compares. Every now and then I get an itch to ditch my little Vulcan and get an adventure bike, alas most of them have a pretty tall seat height which does not fare well with my fairly short legs, so that's what's stopping me. I know there is a shorter version of this bike called NC700S, but I'm not sure if it's available in the US.

How tall are you?

Back to the main subject for a moment, does anyone know which 10w-30 oils list the JASO MA spec? I know Amsoil does, but I can't come up with any others, apart from Honda's own oil.

There are many oils better for the task at hand than T6. T6 was not designed for bikes with a shared transmission. It does carry the certification for friction and the JASO. But, I find it shears very quickly in my bikes and the shifting gets very notchy real quick. The old 5w40 T5 was so much better in bikes, it had a real dose of zinc and phos.
Your new Honda is not a hi stress revy engine as compared to many modern motorcycle motors. I think it has the same red line as many modern car motors. The big diff is the shared oil in gearbox and motor.
You might want to use approved filters and oil at least while in warranty. The minimal costs savings using 'car stuff' sure ain't worth the risk in the event Honda denies a claim....OUCH.

GET the oil filter from Honda. Honda has 2 filters that are nearly identical in size but have different part numbers. You almost need a caliper to tell the difference. The Fram one doesn't fit all. I'd also run 10W30 as Honda recommends.
Castrol makes a 10W30 motorcycle oil. I was just at the Iron Pony and they had both the synthetic blend and the full synthetic, but they don't list it online. They also had Bel-Ray and a few other 10W30 "MA" oils in store.
The Iron Pony is the largest motorcycle store in the USA and worth a visit if your ever in Columbus, OH.

i think it depends on your miliage, if your going to log high miles youd be better suited with M1 or amsoil BIKE OIL, now OTOH if you doing 2,000 miles a summer.. that Rotella is alot cheaper and i wouldnt have trouble using it at all.. my two pennies.

Rotella conventional is all I use in my shared sump bikes and will be using it im my Harley this year. It's the best bike oil that isn't a bike oil out there. And I won't use anything but

What is your thoughts on the pro honda 10w-40 vs the 10w-30 that the manual states you should use. Then again the service manual says to use 10w-40.

I just finished changing the oil and filter for the first break in oil change at 500 miles for my NC700x manual tranny version.

The oil that came out basically looked brand new and definitely wasn't sheared down or diluted with gas. This engine is definitely easy on oil. I mean how many motorcycles are spec'd with 8000 mile oil change intervals? This is car OCI territory, unsurprisingly because this is essentially a car engine. Once I switch to synthetic it'll be interesting what an oil analysis would say but I'm fairly confident it can be like my car with 10,000 miles OCI's on synthetic and still not wear oil out.

I didn't want to have to get a special oil filter, a lot people who have Honda motorcycles just use the car oil filters anyways. This includes CBR's Shadows, Goldwings. No one's ever reported any problems. Those filters are just a little bit longer and have more filter media so should flow better and last longer.

So I used the car oil filter, Purolator Classic bought at Walmart. Also as for oil Honda specifies 10w-30 in my manual, nowhere does it say 10w-40. And considering this is more like a Honda Fit engine, you don't see Honda Fit owners putting 10w-40 in their cars that often.

The only oil I could really find though that was 10w-30 and not energy or resource conserving was some of the high mileage stuff like Pennzoil 10w-30 High Mileage. So I put that in my bike. Since it still is in the viscosity spec it's still not deviating from manufacturers specs as much as putting 15w-40 in the engine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back