Savage Arms 64 .22LR with Scope

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone shoot one of these? I can get one on sale for $139.99 with tax, normally $197.

Seems like a good deal, comes with 10 rd mag clip and 4x15mm scope. Just bought a brick of .22LR so I'm itching to get a rifle that shoots it. (Had to jump on the .22 LR ammo as I planned to get one sooner or later and it's scarce around here)

Know I need to get something other than a pistol if I ever intend to hunt and was thinking I could jump on a single shot 20 gauge for $159.99 (the H&R Snake Tamer) but this .22 looks like a lot of fun.

Also, what's the chances of me finding a dual-purpose/caliber rifle under $200? i.e. a .22/410, .22/20 ga., etc?

I wouldn't trust it as it may be a rifle that jams all the time or is severely picky about ammo.

Nothing is more annoying than a .22 that jams every couple of shots. You think that you can tolerate it but it just gets to the point you want to throw it away.

Buy a .22 with a solid track record if you are looking for a semi-auto.

I'd personally just try and get a Ruger 10/22. Tons of hi-cap mags available, folding stocks, and all sorts of upgrades.

You probably wouldn't pay much more for a Ruger 10/22, they are cheap in the States. You can even get them in stainless steel if you go boating a lot, or if you have bad weather you don't have to worry about it as much.

I have had a Mark II Lakefield, which all of these guns, in semi or in bolt action, all come from the same jam-prone designs when Savage bought the Canadian company several years ago.

The gun you are looking at, if I recall seeing it, was a Lakefield design. All of which are horrible.

I used to have to shoot the Mark II bolt action and AFTER EVERY SHOT use a pen knife to pick out the empty shell casing.

Don't expect them to care if you need customer service.

A lousy firearm has no use at all. A .22 is supposed to be fun. Save yourself the headaches.

All I am saying is anything that was ever designed or made by Lakefield, regardless of who bought them, are junk.

I LOVE my Marlin .22 semi-auto. I use the cheapest ammo I can find and it still hardly ever jams. I got it in '93 for $90 brand new. I'm sure they make a model similar to it still.

It holds 16 rounds in the tube.

Pssshhh well I gotta make the wife happy. We always let each other know about big purchases and even though I'm working 50 hours a week to help out with our finances she's not ready for "another" gun yet (we have ONE 9mm pistol). Okay, if it makes peace at home then I will wait. I still don't see the sense in it...it's a good price, and who knows what will happen in the future with firearms?! Not sure we can survive with one 9mm semi-automatic pistol.

Help cheer me up, boys.

Zerosoma, guns are like cars. If this make and model catches your fancy you'll be unhappy unless you purchase it.

If it is finicky and jams, you can actually take it to a gunsmith and he'll fix all of the feeding angles and polish up what are problem areas with the machining.

You could probably barter a trigger job off of him.

You may get lucky and all of the old Cooey/Lakefield bugs have been worked out of the designs and it will shoot a brick of .22 ammo without even one jam.

Point is, if it catches your eye and the price is right, buy it. That is the best purchase when it is with your heart as you won't be disappointed if it jams here and there.

I just put up this info as I have 33 years of experience in firearms. And, on this board, compared to other members, believe it or not, I am still a newbie. 50, 60 years experience many will have as an older gent may have started with a Cooey (!) when he was just a boy himself.

I started hunting with my father when I was 4 years old, and my first gun was a Cooey .22 single shot that I still have today. He had to cut the stock down to fit my length of pull and he filed the steel butt plate down to the smaller butt pad area.

I remember being on Covey Hill walking behind him with my fingers on the plunger. I always had to struggle with all my might to cock it.

When I got older he glued and screwed the part he sawed off back on!! BTW, this is the rifle he had when HE was a 12 year old boy!

This little semi-auto has been made by Cooey and many other arms makers as these companies changed hands, so it is actually a gun with A LOT of history behind it. I don't think I have ever met someone from way back who HASN'T shot a Cooey.

What I am hoping for is you reply to this thread with a small review after you pop off a brick of ammo to tell us how you like it!

Well after some talking we decided that I could pick out one gun under $200, and that's supposed to hold me over for the next several months.

Took a look firsthand at the 64 today and the scope and it seemed like an OK gun. "Quality" was not the first word that came to mind. So I went looking for some other rifles and shotguns and found an H&R Pardner Pump Tactical for $189. I was also drawn to some single shot shotguns (H&R Tamer and Pardner Single Shot). They are all 20 gauge. I found a Stevens Home Defense Tactical pistol grip Shotgun at Wally world for $199 too.

Good idea to go with a shotgun? Or a .22? It'll be my last gun for awhile, so it needs to hold me over....
grin.gif

I'd go for a .22.

Marlin or Ruger.

You don't get "bored" plinking with a .22.

Setting up tin cans 100 yards away with 2$ a pack of 50 shots...

I remember buying 10$ bricks of Superfast ammo... Those were the days!

I own a Savage 64.

Pros- VERY accurate. The barrel is free floated and out shoots any other .22 I have ever shot. Reliable - no jams. Affordable.

Cons- Magazines are kinda low quality, gun feels cheap.

Conclusion: It is an OK gun that will get the job done. You would be happier with a higher quality 10/22 or a Marlin. I never shoot my 64 anymore as I prefer my 10/22's.

shotgun hands down. More ways to shoot it. (slugs for distance/game hunting, buckshot for home defense, birdshot for trap and target destruction) You can swap stocks, barrels, optics, etc and do what you want with it. Also, 12 gauge ammo is plentiful and they aren't horders gouging people on what they buy to sell for profit. Trust me, you want a shotgun. I recommend Maverick 88 or Mossberg 500. Same gun essentially with the Maverick being made in Mexico and the Mossy in the US.

zerosoma

Don't be in a hurry, think things out and make your decision with long term in the equation. Don't settle for less now because it will cost you more in the long run if you decide to stay with gun sports.

You need (or should have) a shotgun, 22, and if big game is in the future then a rifle.

Shotgun- Maverick 88 or Mossberg 500 or nice used Rem 870. There's a bunch of lightly used Mossberg 500's on the market for little $.

22- Marlin or Ruger 10/22, the price difference between new and used is not much on these so go for new.

Rifle would more than likely be last on your want list, look for good used Ruger, Savage, Rem 700, don't over look an older Marlin 336 with Hornady LEVERevolution ammo would be ok for South Dakota game.

Slow down, go in steps, save up for better guns, you'll be better off in the long run.

Have fun !

Lots of good advice I'm hearing.

I think I'm going to wait on the .22 and buy a 10/22 in the near future, and throw the H&R Pardner Protector on layaway. Father In Law is supposed to give me a pump shotgun once he goes hunting with me and feels ready to give up one of his guns (someday) but it won't hurt to have one around until then just in case. Plus I know I can handle this Protector well, I'm not sure how I'll feel with the shotgun he'll give me. I'm a short-statured guy at 5'7 and prefer youth models. I can customize this with an 870 pistol grip too which is what I'm looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back