VQ35DE 350z oil recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey everyone. Im looking at purchasing a clean low mileage Nissan 350z tomorrow. what oil do you recommend for the VQ35DE? i have heard they are tough on oil, is this true?

I own and Armada with the VQ56DE Engine and have been happy with it. i usually run M1 in it at 7k OCI's

The oils im considering for the Z are Amsoil OE, M1, and Synpower all in 5w30 flavor.

Last edited:
5k ~ 7k runs on Synpower 5w30. Truth be told however, M1 0w40 has shown EXCELLENT results in a high performance tune VQ . And yes the VQ can be quite tough on oil.

Last edited:
Signature series is a waste of $ to me. i have no desire to push the oil 15-25k miles. im a 5-8k kinda guy.

Bourne, this car will see 90% highway miles in 6th gear, so i think economically a 5w30 may be a better choice for me. Thanks for the tip though! if i every take it to the strip one summer for giggles i will throw in M1 0w40 for an OCI!

Last edited:
I abuse my car often so i like to keep it around 5k OCI.

Redline 5w-20 or 0w-30 would be good as well
Mobil 1 5w-30 is great with its high VI
Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30 with high detergency and low NOACK
Amsoil OE 5w-30 is thicker and very good
^these oils will do fine for 5k

Since your just gonna DD it on the highway, i wouldnt worry about a thicker oil for the strip.
You could also make your own 0w-30 using Toyota 0w-20 and M1 0w-40

Welcome donny

Alright first off, ive walked in the shoes your about to step into.

I bought my silverstone z with with 75k miles on the odo and im just about to double it. Honestly ive used purolators, both classics and p1, and any decent conventional 5-30.

I do bout 300 miles a week(work commute) and my oci is 3k.

Any questions just ask away...

Originally Posted By: vq35de_touring
Welcome donny

Alright first off, ive walked in the shoes your about to step into.

I bought my silverstone z with with 75k miles on the odo and im just about to double it. Honestly ive used purolators, both classics and p1, and any decent conventional 5-30.

I do bout 300 miles a week(work commute) and my oci is 3k.

Any questions just ask away...

A true baller. Conventional oil, 3k OCI. On a Z and an infiniti!

Nice!

Haha sweet. Baller status.

Well trick is be consistent. Yes I know I can push 5k easy with the oils today but thats whats working as of now
wink.gif

Oh yeah the infiniti is on the same diet. Beauty of my addiction to buying lots o oil is all I have to do is tell the wife "I need this much stiff because our cars use the same stuff..."

My dad's G35 and mom's EX35 (same motor as your Z) both used Pennzoil Plat 5w30 or M1 5w30 their whole lives and and doing wonderfully. Dad's just turned 90k, mom's just turned 20k -- UOAs looked fine.

M1 0w-40
Shell Rotella T6 5w-40
Castrol Syntec 0w-30 (German Castrol)
Pennzoil Platinum/Ultra 5w-30
Valvoline Maxlife 5w-30

Use any of these and do 5-7.5k miles and watch for oil consumption.

The vq in the 350 is a higher tune than what it was for the maxima. Vq30 was easier on oil than vq35 is. Rotella 5w40 is an excellent candidate.

Check out the UOA reports for the 35. Lots of good oils out there of course. I have the slightly different 3.7 in the 370/G37 which runs warmer due to the VVT design.

Based on some nice UOA's I have been using PU 5/30 on it with a 6mo OCI as its under warranty. This translates to between 4-6K miles on the oil. I only have one UOA of my own so no trending yet but first report was peachy.

If I was to run M1, I likely would run 0/40 as its just a very well rounded oil that shows great results in a variety of engines (and I use it in the Cayman, so simplifies the garage storage
smile.gif

- b

My 2007 Quest has the same engine albeit at a different level of tuning. It is not hard on oil at all. That being said, the current fill is Amsoil SS 5w-30. Prior to that it was PP 5w-30. I ran PP from new to this last OCI, which was about 50,000 miles. It doesn't use any oil and never has.

Even though I have Amsoil SS in there, I will be doing a 10K OCI. I know I could go longer but I won't .....10K is a nice even number.
smile.gif

I would recommend either PP or Amsoil.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Most of the Z33 forums always recommend a 40 weight.

+1 Just did an Oil change on a 370 & 350 and both guys always use M1 0w-40

It holds up really well and has a bit more wear protection esp. for the VHR & HR series engines.

P.S. Be sure to use a quality filter... I;ve had a lot of knocking issues on KA24's, VQ30's, and VQ35's w/ cheapys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back