AC Delco Advantage or Duralast - which is better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everybody. I need to replace my brakes soon and I narrowed my choices between AC Delco advantage and Duralast. I am doing this based on price point and durability. Does anybody have any pros or cons of these two and could recommend one? Thanks in advance....

I had good luck with the Duralast Gold ceramic brake pads in the past - but my favorites are the newer Wearever Platinum pads that AAP sells - zero dust, zero noise.
I've used Wagner Thermo-Quiet and Napa ceramic pads in the past, hated both sets.
Never tried the AC Delco advantage pads.

HAWK HPS brake pads are GREAT, I use them on my Corvette. They are high performance pads.

I do not recommend ceramic brake pads unless your car came with them. They stop poorly and can warp your rotors.

I have used some Wagner and Bendix pads on other cars. I usually get good brake pads, you don't want to "go cheap" on brakes.

Of the two, I'd prefer the ACDelco Advantage. They are more application specific formulation than Duralast. You didn't mention which model of Duralast but I assume the lower cost model. I would step up to ACDelco Durastop.

Ditto Hawk HPS pads. They increased braking performance on my Mazda way beyond the factory pads.FWIW--Oldtommy

I have the Duralast Gold Ceramics on my 03 CRV. The fronts kept clicking over bumps so I changed them to OEM pads and the clicking is gone. The metal backing portions of the Duralast seemed to be the same size as the OEM pads but obviously there must be some size difference as the loose clicking noise is gone. The Duralast Gold Ceramics on the rear are doing fine. I have about 15,000 miles on the pads and am happy with the mixture of OEM fronts and Duralast rears.

AC Delco Advantage is their new budget line of parts introduced to compete with the inexpensive China made pads that can be found everywhere these days.

Probably same pads in a Delco box from the looks of them.

AC Delco Durastop is the top of the line and have always been quality pads, albeit pricey, unless you find a deal on Ebay.

I believe that your Equinox uses the same pads as our Saturn VUE. The OE pads on our VUE were Akebono. After a lot of research last summer, I had narrowed my top 3 choices to OE Akebono, Akebono Pro-ACT, and Wagner TheroQuiet. In the end I settled on the Wager TheroQuiet QC913 for the front and couldn't be happier. Minimal dust, no noise, and good stopping. I would recommend them.

I worked at Akebono a few years ago and the Pro Act is their aftermarket brand and is heavily marketed through NAPA but also available through other outlets. They mostly use one pad formula for all vehicles in the Pro Act line. OEM formulas are very proprietary but both use ceramic and kevlar. They are smooth and long lasting. Considered a frictional brake rather than abrasive like semi metallics. The Akebono may not function as well under heavy braking loads such as towing applications or in big mountains as they can overheat and lose their effective braking power easier under those conditions than semi-mets. They used to be Delphi but became a 50-50 venture with Akebono who later wholly bought it out. Because of that you will find them on many GM products as well. Very popular on Honda and Toyota as well for OEM.

I put akebono pro acts on my truck 20 k miles ago. They're good but 'dustless' ceramic pads leave a whitish grey dust on my black rims. Maybe not noticeable on silver wheels.

Originally Posted By: spk2000
I worked at Akebono a few years ago and the Pro Act is their aftermarket brand and is heavily marketed through NAPA but also available through other outlets. They mostly use one pad formula for all vehicles in the Pro Act line. OEM formulas are very proprietary but both use ceramic and kevlar. They are smooth and long lasting. Considered a frictional brake rather than abrasive like semi metallics. The Akebono may not function as well under heavy braking loads such as towing applications or in big mountains as they can overheat and lose their effective braking power easier under those conditions than semi-mets. They used to be Delphi but became a 50-50 venture with Akebono who later wholly bought it out. Because of that you will find them on many GM products as well. Very popular on Honda and Toyota as well for OEM.

Really interesting stuff. I think you have me sold.

I worked at Akebono a few years ago and the Pro Act is their aftermarket brand and is heavily marketed through NAPA but also available through other outlets. They mostly use one pad formula for all vehicles in the Pro Act line.

That is not very reassuring.
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I worked at Akebono a few years ago and the Pro Act is their aftermarket brand and is heavily marketed through NAPA but also available through other outlets. They mostly use one pad formula for all vehicles in the Pro Act line.

That is not very reassuring.
mad.gif

I question the validity of the "one pad formula for all vehicles" statement. According to their website, "Akebono Pro-ACT Ultra-Premium brake pads utilize the aftermarket’s only OE-validated, application-specific friction formulations."

Originally Posted By: barlowc
I question the validity of the "one pad formula for all vehicles" statement. According to their website, "Akebono Pro-ACT Ultra-Premium brake pads utilize the aftermarket’s only OE-validated, application-specific friction formulations."

I'm with you on that one. Just had a set of Akebono Pro Act Ultra Premium Ceramics installed on a Civic. Excellent reviews and an oem supplier. And all indications are they are manufactured in the US. Picked them up at AAP for ~$33 including tax using a $20 off $50 code. Also ran a search prior to purchase and read another Bitog member's (CharBaby) unqualified recommendation for the Pro Act.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back