Best Way to Remove Balance Weight Residue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just had new tires mounted on my old alloy wheels, and of course the old stick-on weights are removed by the tire tech, leaving a sticky residue of backing tape. I have some "Goo-Gone" on hand, is that the best product and technique for removing this thick sticky-tape residue?

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
I just had new tires mounted on my old alloy wheels, and of course the old stick-on weights are removed by the tire tech, leaving a sticky residue of backing tape. I have some "Goo-Gone" on hand, is that the best product and technique for removing this thick sticky-tape residue?

Its just adhesive, any mild solvent or penetrating oil will do the trick with a little effort.

WD-40 or similar is usually safe. Mineral spirits/paint thinner would be the next step up, then brake cleaner. However, care must be taken not to damage any clear coat finish.

I've always liked Goo-Gone and other orange oil based cleaners.

That would be where I started.
I'd dampen a cloth, wipe it down and make sure it gets a good soak, then let it sit for a few hours or overnight. Time is your friend with gentle cleaners.

DO NOT USE SOLVENTS!!!

They will dissolve the clear coat. You want to use something that doesn't!!

The standard stuff to use is alcohol.

::::::OK, OK. That's a solvent, but I wanted to get your attention.:::::::::

Try WD40 first...if that doesn't work, use Goof Off. I've used it on all types of wheels (painted, chrome, powdercoated, etc.) for years with no issues whatsoever.

Also, here's a tip for getting those "sticky weights" off the wheels in the first place; use fishing line and "floss" the line in between the wheel and weight itself. That's much better than having those idiots at the tire store attack your nice wheels with a pair of pliers or a screwdriver, etc.

I ended up using Goo-Gone. It worked very well, but only if I let it soak for 25-30 minutes. No elbow grease required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back