Why 22lr ammo out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Cujet
Originally Posted By: supton
22's are not well "sealed" -- often I can spin the bullet relative to the case. Moisture can then ingress.

So true. 22 ammo often does not store all that well. I have some older ammo from the 60's and 70's. Mostly duds.

The CCI ammo that is waxed seems to hold up well and last for years. It's not really sealed, but the wax does seem to do the job fairly well.

22 ammo hoarders need to consider keeping the ammo in a sealed and completely moisture free environment. Special storage is the only way to ensure viability. Putting it in an ammo can is not likely to be good enough over the long term.

What is wrong with storing ammo in ammo can long term? I've done it for years, over 30, I have never had any ammo go bad, not once.

Depends where the ammo can itself is stored - moderate temp and low humidity OK...get some extremes of temp or humidity...and it might not be...

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Depends where the ammo can itself is stored - moderate temp and low humidity OK...get some extremes of temp or humidity...and it might not be...

A few desicant bags thrown in the can for good measure can't hurt either.

I have a .50 cal ammo can full of various .22 ammo, opened for the first time in several years last night. Had a couple of small gel pacs from pill bottles in it, smelled funky!
crazy2.gif
If I ever get to go shooting I'll see how how well it's held up- suspect it'll be OK. Even here in humid NE Tx, ammo that's just stored on the shelf in an air conditioned house seems to do well after decades. Still have 2 or 3 paper hulled Western 00 buck shells somewhere(figure circa 1965 or so)- & they'll probably shoot too.
wink.gif

Ragnaar Benson had much comment re .22 ammunition...

Survival type hunting doesn't involve 1 shot kills at 900 yards. Running and bleeding out is still meat.

After TSHTF, people who want to survive will be much more aware of their safety, and not wanting to be injured, will take the threat of a L.R. seriously.

A piece of 1/4" I.D pipe and a hammer/lump of wood can make a "gun", that is capable of self defence, and maybe getting a proper gun with a trigger and sights.

Compact and divisible means that you can trade for it...having ammo means that you can trade for currency without handing over your ammo.

e.g. http://www.combibar.com/products/

Other ideas...as to storage, Lapua come in sealed cans like pringles...that's pretty handy and long term....taking that vein, you could make a moisture proof "can" out of PVC pipe and fittings...long skinny ones over shed roof joists and the like, dumpy ones buried under the lemon tree.

Back to the combibar, my family grew up in the goldfields of Victoria, and there was a bloke who was always out prospecting with a metal detector, and had enough strike rate to earn a living.

When he passed, his sons were cleaning up the shed, and some of the half full cans of dried pain felt overly heavy...spare "change" (nuggets) appears to have been thrown into old paint for storage. (wouldn't work for .22)

I live in Orange County, CA so we don't get to much humidity. My ammo can's are locked in a closet, no light, not much temperature change so I don't have nor ever have had any ammo problems with ammo stored in them. Heck, I've still got a brick of 22LR that I paid $4.95 for back in the 70's. Looks new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back