how long would you let it go ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before you extend your OCI out to a year, consider the following questions: What is your commute like (time/distance/speed/number of days per week/city or hwy or mixed)? How often does the car NOT get up to operating temperature before it gets shut off? Does the car get parked in a garage our out in the weather?

My primary concern with a 'daily driver' that sees such low mileage would be that the oil isn't getting hot enough on a regular basis to drive off contaminants such as fuel and moisture. This could be considered 'severe duty' as opposed to a daily driver that gets driven 12,000 miles or more per year, which would seem to indicate a longer commute which would allow the car to get up to temp every time.

If you are doing a lot of very short trips which don't allow the engine and oil to fully heat up every time, I would for sure be changing the oil every 6 months regardless of mileage.

On the other hand, if the car does get up to temp nearly every time it is driven, is housed in a garage (at least in the winter) or sees a lot of highway miles, you could EASILY extend your OCI out to a year.

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
iffy to do without tests, I sent my first test off as our Prius is nearing 160k. I can get the tests at Napa for around $15 with tax and that includes lab work with TBN. Costs $2.61 to mail from my part of the country.

If you want to avoid tests altogether I would just say pick a good synthetic like Mobil 1 or SynPower and change it often, every 6k or so.

I didn't know Napa offered UOA. Do most Napa's offer this.

I'm located in the Dallas TX area if anyone in this area has insight on this

Originally Posted By: KJack
iffy to do without tests, I sent my first test off as our Prius is nearing 160k. I can get the tests at Napa for around $15 with tax and that includes lab work with TBN. Costs $2.61 to mail from my part of the country.

If you want to avoid tests altogether I would just say pick a good synthetic like Mobil 1 or SynPower and change it often, every 6k or so.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?A=FIL4077_0331367144&An=0

All the OLM 's are calibrated for use of conventional oils, not syns. So if you are using syn, go the FULL OLM indication, up to 7500 or 0% with full confidence. I run PP or PU in my 2006 Honda Odyssey, and always follow this.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
All the OLM 's are calibrated for use of conventional oils, not syns.

my point exactly! 7,500 miles on conventional oil per HONDA ?? and were talking about syn.. i think the 1 year or the 7,500 is a good run..

Originally Posted By: danthaman1980

My primary concern with a 'daily driver' that sees such low mileage would be that the oil isn't getting hot enough on a regular basis to drive off contaminants such as fuel and moisture. This could be considered 'severe duty' as opposed to a daily driver that gets driven 12,000 miles or more per year, which would seem to indicate a longer commute which would allow the car to get up to temp every time.

the car goes 10 miles each way to work daily.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
the car goes 10 miles each way to work daily.

Perfect. Should be plenty of time to get up to temp - this should be very easy on the oil! Proceed with 7,500 miles on a good synthetic!

Originally Posted By: KJack

Do the reserve and pick up option. They will have to import it via EJOEI from their warehouse but will generally get there within a day or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back