Turtle Wax Black Box Collection vs "Ice"

Status
Not open for further replies.
we had a pretty warm day today, so decided to wash and detail our cars today with my buddy.
First automatic touch-less wash, then hand wash, then waxing, then interior vacuuming and detail.
I bought and used Black Box (for black cars) which has 4 bottles,2 aplicators inside and has to be done in 5 steps(prewax paste, rinse/polish, polish paste, rinse/polish, polish with clean microfiber towel.
Buddy used "Ice" polish on his bimmer.
I think Black box worked little bit better hiding deeper swirl marks. We both used same automatic car wash and same Turtle Wax "Ice" gel car wash for hand washing. Here are some results:
8487425238_682bfcdf69_b.jpg

8487425890_27c4865e39_b.jpg

8487428278_9cac557912_b.jpg

8487429100_31799760ea_b.jpg

8487429756_7e1f3ef10d_b.jpg

8486824743_773c4465c4_b.jpg

8487430188_3a7c3c8570_b.jpg

8487430734_2713f91970_b.jpg

8487431290_cf40b57543_b.jpg

8487431646_1db72b97ab_b.jpg

8487432440_6b2cffc403_b.jpg

8486342985_e600835ff3_b.jpg

8486343489_cbef230370_b.jpg

I used the black box on my 03 M5 my paint has never looked soo good and im not a big turtle wax fan so im npt just saying it.

How much more time does the Black Box take than Ice to go through all its steps. I use Ice on my Jeep as it is fine if you get it on plastic and the Jeep has a lot.

Originally Posted By: Donald
How much more time does the Black Box take than Ice to go through all its steps. I use Ice on my Jeep as it is fine if you get it on plastic and the Jeep has a lot.

My friend was already all the way done(Including interior) when I started last step.

Originally Posted By: MBS500

My friend was already all the way done(Including interior) when I started last step.

That would settle it for me. Ice.

That would settle it for me. Ice.

I was thinking about trying Nufinish next time. Then Liquid Glass.

Originally Posted By: R2d2
Looks great, I'm more concerned about the 1 bucket your using.
what's wrong with it?

The core of proper washing lies with the tried and true method of the two-bucket wash. All you need are two buckets, some quality car wash soap, a good microfiber wash mitt, and a good microfiber drying towel. If you really want to push your wash to the next level, consider investing in a pair of grit guards.

I actually washed mine thru touches auto wash close to house first, then sprayed with special hose socket filled with car wash gel (Turtle wax "Ice" soap). Then used soft brush, rinse, used soft rubber window scraper to wipe excess water off, then microfiber towel to dry.

Last edited:
I actually washed mine thru touches auto wash close to house first, then sprayed with special hose socket filled with car wash gel (Turtle wax "Ice" soap). Then used soft brush, rinse, used soft rubber window scraper to wipe excess water off, then microfiber towel to dry.

I use seperate wash bucket and cotton mitts to wash wheels and lowest portion of car. I use a home made grit guard in bottom of bucket and shake mitts out often

I have a another bucket/mitts with grit guard to wash the upper part of the car. Seems to minimize scratches on a dark green car. Done this for about 10 years on my BMW.

Then remove nozzle and low pressure "flow" water over car to minimize drops and wipe down with two microfiber towels.

Last edited:
OP in Louisville. You are asking for trouble by keeping your wipers/arms up while washing. In cold temperature you can crack the windshield if the the wiper arm slams down.

Believe me, it happened to me on a very cold evening when advance was changing my wiper blades. it cost them a new BMW windshield.

That's my buddy in pics and his bimmer. My MB in background, Bimmer in my Sig is silver and 550 not 335:) It was 58F at that time:)

Originally Posted By: Russell

I use seperate wash bucket and cotton mitts to wash wheels and lowest portion of car. I use a home made grit guard in bottom of bucket and shake mitts out often

I have a another bucket/mitts with grit guard to wash the upper part of the car. Seems to minimize scratches on a dark green car. Done this for about 10 years on my BMW.

Then remove nozzle and low pressure "flow" water over car to minimize drops and wipe down with two microfiber towels.

won't constant fresh water from socket and rinsing brush/towel often work? I didn't use bucket at all.

Originally Posted By: Russell

won't constant fresh water from socket and rinsing brush/towel often work? I didn't use bucket at all.

sure, I would think so. The goal is to keep grit away from the car's finish at all times.

The way that you are washing the car is what is causing the marring of the paint. The products you mentioned are chocked full of fillers to hide marring/spider webs. Nothing wrong with that but proper washing techniques would prevent the problems in the first place. Get rid of the brush on a stick unless it's a Boar's Hair brush. That is the only acceptable brush for car washing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back