Thinnest Brand of Grease?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for the thinnest possible brand of grease due to some problematic fittings on my
Can Am "trike" that don't take grease very well. Its simply a poor design, in my opinion, where, even if you get grease into the fittings, it doesn't migrate down to where the bolt goes thru a steel sleeve. The sleeve has no holes to allow for this and has a tendency to rust. Thought I'd like to try a thinner grease if there is such a thing.

Kinda off topic but I had a similar problem with a tractor's PTO shaft and what I did was to use just regular grease but I heated the grease gun with an electrical heat gun until it it turned to a liquid state. Went in like a charm.

Not very well versed in various greases but I found Lucas red n tacit pumped much easier than the valvoline I used to use.

Great info folks; thanks a bunch. I wasn't even aware what the NLGI nrs had to do with it. Will see if I can find some #0 or 00 locally. If not will order some.

I stopped at the lubriplate office in Newark, NJ the other day and bought two quarts of mag 00 NLGI 00 liquid grease.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I stopped at the lubriplate office in Newark, NJ the other day and bought two quarts of mag 00 NLGI 00 liquid grease.

For your window tracks?

yep go for a #0 or #00... this grade is most commonly known as john deere corn head grease.

I have heard of people making a homemade version by mixing gear oil and regular #2 grease 50/50.

Texan...thanks. Went to local JD the other day and they had one cartridge of #0 (corn head grease) so I got it. Was about $3.65. Haven't used it yet, but I did stick my finger in the green stuff to test it and am surprised its not as thin as I would have expected. When WX warms a bit I'll pull the trike out and see if it works better than #2 I've been using.

Originally Posted By: tc1446
Texan...thanks. Went to local JD the other day and they had one cartridge of #0 (corn head grease) so I got it. Was about $3.65. Haven't used it yet, but I did stick my finger in the green stuff to test it and am surprised its not as thin as I would have expected. When WX warms a bit I'll pull the trike out and see if it works better than #2 I've been using.

corn head grease is solid at room temp, but will liquify ounce it warms up. They use in gear boxes.

If you want to thin it some you can run a hair drier or heat gun over your grease gun.

here is a cool demonstration of corn head grease:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEwk_sYP6A8

You can use a thinner grease, but if your specified grease does not go in, get a new grease gun. I recommend an Alemite grease gun (10,000 PSI). I had a grease fitting that my air grease gun would not lube, my lincoln lever action would not force the grease in either. Bought an Alemite and the grease flowed in like it was nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back