Trust a dealer to do a pre-purchase inspection...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never purchase a Certified car.

They won't touch the tranny fluid, if the brakes are almost finished but would last a little while longer they won't change them.

They eyeball the car and overcharge.

Get your own inspection done. Focus on brakes, shocks, signs of an accident (don't trust Carfax unless it says it had an accident. If Carfax says it didn't have one, it still may have been in one that wasn't reported).

This is as others have said a big conflict of interest.

Just how old of a Focus are we talking and how many miles on it ?

No dealer is going to offer any kind of warranty if it's an older one with high milage . If it's a cheap AS IS fixer upper take it to a trusted mechanic you know . Make sure you check the tranny fluid and see if there are any service records available or if the dealer has the contact info of the former owner . Most former owners don't mind talking about their old car and how well it was looked after , recent service work or if it had any issues that concerned them.

Last edited:
Depends, if it is a late model year and you are purchasing an extended warranty from them, then it is okay.

Does your state have a safety inspection? This would cover basic safety items and the dealer could do it. It will not cover some things, for example air conditioning, transmission, etc.

Now, if you just want it thoroughly inspected for any defects, take it to another place.

Originally Posted By: Pajamarama
Thanks for everyone's input.

It's a 2003, 120k miles.

Worth looking at if priced right .

Something you would want to know is if the timing belt has been done . I believe they went to a timing chain in 04 or 05 .

Originally Posted By: Pajamarama
Thanks for everyone's input.

It's a 2003, 120k miles.

That's exactly the interval for timing belt in the zetec. I bet it was traded in for that reason, possibly amongst other issues that weren't as pressing. Definitely get this car checked.

Well, we checked out the Focus wagon last night and it looks good BUT the timing belt replacement was never done. I'm not interested in buying it to spend another $500 to have that done.

It's possible the dealer will throw that in to close the deal, but since last night we've shifted our focus (so to speak...) to a 2005 Taurus wagon available at a local repair shop. Lower miles (85k), newer (2005 vs 2003), at a lower price (5k vs 6k). I like the fact this engine has timing chain rather than a belt.

My new question is: is there a benefit to having a used Ford inspected at a Ford dealer, or will a mobile inspection service provide the same level of service? The only mechanic in my area I know and trust is a Honda-only guy. It would be nice to have the inspector come to the car rather than vice versa but if a Ford service dept would offer much better information, I'm OK with that too.

Any and all input welcome.

Don't write off the Focus just because of the timing belt. If everything else is in working order and the car looks to be in good shape, well maintained overall, just make the timing belt part of the deal. Either the dealer changes the belt or knocks off the amount they charge to get it done. My guess is that they would choose to do it themselves if they are motivated to close the deal.

conjecturing, but absolutely not.

i bought a 2011 scion xb on monday from carmax, and returned it yesterday because of undisclosed suspension damage. could have just been worn bushings/end links, but with only 26k on the odo, i highly doubt it and i wasnt interested or confidant in their ability to make me whole.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back