Best optic for the money for .22 LR scope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own alot of guns and most are fairly expensive, but last night i picked up a Marlin 995SS .22LR semi auto for a smoking deal ! I plan to scope it and im doing my research now. The objective is to stay inexpensive. im looking at the 3x9 in a 32 or 40 and what rings would serve this model well. Ive spent some time on Amazon and found several good options but im looking for first hand experience.. perhaps someone with the popular Rugar 10-22 has some suggestions ? I gave $100 bucks with 2 extra magazines and a nice synthetic nylon case do im not looking at $150 scopes, more like the $30-$80 range. this is going to be a very simple plinker. This particular .22 is black syn stock and stainless barrel, so a blue or stainless scope to match is fine.

Much thanks !

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=TAVAR251042M&src=tpMfg

Tasco 2.5-10X42, adjustable objective, mil-dot

I have several of these scopes on both centerfire and rimfire rifles. It is a great scope for the money ($60-$70). Reasonably clear optics, the mil-dot is useful in .22LR for long range shooting, and I always prefer an adjustable objective to eliminate parallax.

For rings I usually use Weaver high rings, always available at WalMart.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/CenterPoint-Illuminated-4-16x40mm-Scope/17173797

CenterPoint Illuminated 4-16x40mm Scope:
Adjustable objective from 5 yards to infinity
Red/green dual illuminated Mil-Dot reticle for the ever-changing light conditions from dusk to dawn
Adjustable brightness for red/green illumination
Adjustable windage and elevation dials
Razor sharp image quality
Part of the CenterPoint Adventure Class of hunting optics
Offers highly resolved images in all conditions
Delivers superior performance at affordable prices
100 percent waterproof, fog and shock proof

Its really hard to beat for $70. I've had one on my 10/22 for the last 4 years and so far it hasn't missed a beat with 10,000+ rounds...It doesn't mention it in the ad but they also come with rings and flip up dust covers.

Last edited:
Take a look at Simmons .22 Mag Rifle Scopes. I have found them a exellent value when it comes to lower priced optics.

Barska Plinker 4x32. Lifetime warranty. Amazing for the price and it comes with rings too. available in silver or black. I have one on my Mossberg Plinkster and it is dead nuts at 60yds.

Check out opticsplanet dot com. Lots of affordable options there.

I've been using a TASCO scope (chinese made, I believe) for 5 or 6 years on my Ruger 10/22 and have no complaints.

I would make sure that you look through any Barska scope before you buy or make sure you can return it if necessary. My friend purchased one and the glass (or coating?) was not very good. At 100 yds, you could see a kind of wavy 'mirage' effect. Not clear at all. I do not remember which model it was, but I know it was relatively inexpensive and had a fair amount of magnification (around 14x).

Last edited:
thanks for all the input, i found a simmons 6 power ontop of my gun case i had completely forgot about. I still need rings though and its the small rail thats built into the reciever on a 22LR that i need to confirm that im buying rings for.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
thanks for all the input, i found a simmons 6 power ontop of my gun case i had completely forgot about. I still need rings though and its the small rail thats built into the reciever on a 22LR that i need to confirm that im buying rings for.
dovetail 3/8

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
dovetail 3/8

much thanks, i figured that out over the weekend. (thanks though) I stopped at a small shop and picked up a set of rings for the .22 and decided to try that old scope i have ontop the guncase. Well it all went together fine and after letting some threadlocker set for 20 hours i took it outback and started dialing the scope:

#1 at 50 yards i have the crosshairs maxed out in the "U" as i cant take the setting any higher, the L/R is perfect and i was 1/2- 1inch below the 1 inch target at 50 yrds.. i fiddled with the rings etc but came to the conclusion that i might need high rings with this particular scope.

#2 the scope has no name printed on it, other than a +/- for focus on the eye port there is nothing else.. its a el-cheapo that i took of some other rifle and now i remember why.

#3 im thinking i want a better scope than this..

i went to walmart and looked at the $30.00 bushnell. it has no features.. its basically the same thing thats on the gun now. While at Walmart i looked at the Center point sco.. you get alot of scope for the $ but it comes with the big weaver rings.. so id have to buy a set of high rings to go with it, the reviews are very mixed witht he Center point.
#4 I havent looked at he simmons in person yet, its $10 cheaper than the Center point and comes witht the correct rings.

Im still trying to stick with the inexpensive theme for this rifle. the simmons and the Center Point are both options, Id like to see what Bushnell offers in something a little better than the $30.00 walmart option.

Federal .22 amo isnt the best option in this gun. I had two jams in 50 rounds.

Originally Posted By: OB4x4
http://www.walmart.com/ip/CenterPoint-Illuminated-4-16x40mm-Scope/17173797

CenterPoint Illuminated 4-16x40mm Scope:
Adjustable objective from 5 yards to infinity
Red/green dual illuminated Mil-Dot reticle for the ever-changing light conditions from dusk to dawn
Adjustable brightness for red/green illumination
Adjustable windage and elevation dials
Razor sharp image quality
Part of the CenterPoint Adventure Class of hunting optics
Offers highly resolved images in all conditions
Delivers superior performance at affordable prices
100 percent waterproof, fog and shock proof

Its really hard to beat for $70. I've had one on my 10/22 for the last 4 years and so far it hasn't missed a beat with 10,000+ rounds...It doesn't mention it in the ad but they also come with rings and flip up dust covers.

I looked this scope over closely while at walmart, you get alot for your moeny, my only issue is the mixed reviews.. theres alot of people that are not happy with this scope and that makes me kinda suspect..

If it's a brand new gun it might just want a good cleaning. That said, I've found the Federal Lightning to be cheapo stuff. Blazer hasn't had any issues, but I probably haven't shot even a full brick of it yet. Federal Automatch, that I've shot probably 2-3k rounds and I don't think I've had a dud. Might have had some that sounded different, but I don't recall any duds.

But I stick with CCI Mini-Mags, Blazer and Automatch. YMMV. Buy a few kinds, find what works good, stock up on it. And clean the action once in a while. 22LR is kinda dirty, and likes to leave a mess behind.

I thought i should update this posting, I came upon a smoking deal on a "lot" of hunting/ ammo items and i purchased a Center point 3x9 scope and a Nikkon Prostaff scope both with rings and over 3,000 .22LR rounds all for $140 bucks.

I started with the with Center point scope and mounted it, i had it dialed at 50yrds within 5 minutes.. its alot of scope for the money, so far i like it and will save the Nikkon scope for another build. when it warms up i will spend some time fine tuning and seeing what i think after i send a few hundred rounds down range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back