Fram drop-in oil filters for a BMW any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are Fram drop-in oil filters for a BMW any good?
I have been using Mann and Mahle for years on my 95 BMW 525i. I have a few Fram filters that came with DIY oil change specials. They look fine. However i am leary of them and oterh non-euro filters after I got a purolater filter with a DIY oil change special and it was so cheaply made I threw it away.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Personally, I'd stick with the OEM stuff. At least up here, OEM Mann, Mahle, and so forth, can be had cheaper than Frams or other non-Euro brands.

My experience as well. No real price advantage to purchase Fram. Just concerned over quality even though i have several "free" Fram BMW filters.

Fram cartridge filters are of pretty good quality.
I've used six in my BMW with no problems.
They were also pretty cheap from Rock.

Fram cartridge filters were all we used in my son's 2000 BMW 323i. No problems with them at all.

Use them, don't get caught up in the cock and bull from the haters
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Russell
Are Fram drop-in oil filters for a BMW any good?
I have been using Mann and Mahle for years on my 95 BMW 525i. I have a few Fram filters that came with DIY oil change specials. They look fine. However i am leary of them and oterh non-euro filters after I got a purolater filter with a DIY oil change special and it was so cheaply made I threw it away.

I used Fram cartridge oil filter in E430 once. The raisin end caps are very hard and did not stay on the filter holder after installed, it got loose and didn't stay in place so that some oil didn't get filtered.

Fram filter media is okay, but not better than Mann, Hengst, Mahle, Bosch ... Fram can be more expensive than German made filters, there is no good reason to use Fram.

I recently changed the oil in an older friend's 2005 X3, and wound up having to rectify the mistakes made by the prior service "technician"- lets call him "Bubba",,,
Anyway, Bubba had used a Fram cartridge which had plastic end caps(which were crumbling) and a filter medium that had started to distort. The correct BMW filter -manufactured by Mann of Germany- cost me $10.85 while Fram's alleged "filter" costs $2.50 more. Such a deal...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back