Could I add a castor 2-stroke oil into a 4 stroke?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ran out of room in the title, what I was wondering if a castor 2-stroke mix oil can be added to the gas versus the TCW-3 that is commonly recommended? Its going in a powersport ( dirtbike ) gas tank... Its a 4 stroke bike, but I have some castor oil left over from a 2 stroke I once had. Would it be alright in the carb, could it cause gumming on the valves?

Unless the castor has been degummed I think it might cause more problems than it might prevent. Castor is an outstanding lube though.

Yeah thats what I was thinking... I'll have to check more but Idoubt it. I remember back when I was running it, we would have issues with the power valve gumming in the cr250 with castor oil...

Since it seems easy to get my cars to 300,000 miles with engines that still seem like new.....and others have reached MUCH higher mileage....

What evidence is there that an upper UCL would help? Some engines might fail after the rings carbon up and stick due to the oil consumption. Outboards burning TCW3 oils often have this failure mode at high hours.

If I wanted to burn oil I would just buy a clunker in the first place!

I've used both Blendzall and Klotz castor oil in both 2-cycle and 4-cycle engines. Blendzall actually sells a fuel additive that has their castor bean oil already mixed in.

Degummed castor bean oil is a incredible lubricant but it is dirty. If you do it then don't mix it in high ratios. You're not lubricating a 2-cycle engine so experiment in the 200-400:1 ratios (not the 32-50:1 for a 2-cycle).

Castor bean oil is MUCH thicker than normal TC-W3 oils. Castor bean oil is approx. 14cSt vs 8 cSt's for TC-W3. It doesn't mix well when cold (below 50ºF) either. But,, it sure does smell fantastic!!

Castor oil is a triglyceride (basically a fat-type molecule)with a hydroxy group on the side chains. It will lubricate well but may show incomplete combustion leading to deposits.

I'm sure the correct answer is in these post but you may want to PM Doug Hillary to confirm, he has a lot of experience with castor oil.
Personally i don't have a clue.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
I can't think of a single reason to put any kind of oil in the gas tank of a 4 stroke anything.

It would be fine in a 4 stroke diesel engine with a mechanical injector pump like a Bosch VP44.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
I can't think of a single reason to put any kind of oil in the gas tank of a 4 stroke anything.

It is obvious then you do not know what you are missing.

Does stabil work as a UCL? Can you run both MMO and Stabil? Reason I run Stabil is to help with ethanol issues..

Originally Posted By: NattyBoh
Does stabil work as a UCL? Can you run both MMO and Stabil? Reason I run Stabil is to help with ethanol issues..

Redline SI-1 does it all and it works. 1oz per 10 gallons is all it takes.

I looked it up and it looks like I can, but i didnt see anything in it that said ti helped with the issues with Ethanol.

Castor oil is a great lube, but gummy and residuous.
Don't use it.
TCW3 2 stroke oil is a great lube for valve guides, seals the valves a bit better, ring /cyl/piston lube, and very importantly, lubes the fuel pump with today's alcohol infused gas.

Originally Posted By: NattyBoh
I looked it up and it looks like I can, but i didnt see anything in it that said ti helped with the issues with Ethanol.

I deal with a lot of boat yards and the most reported issue with ethanol by far is injector corrosion, it is a real concern and preventable.
Redline does protect them from corrosion.

Phase separation also occurs but there is no additive that will really help with that issue once the fuel is saturated and falls out.
The yards have tried lots of products that supposedly prevent phase separation and have been less than thrilled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back