Clear on the Dip/Jet Black from the Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been doing my 1st phase, of the AutoRX cleanze. Since I use some oil, I have been replacing lost qts., with 2oz. of ARX, as per this site.

Yesterday, I decided just for jollies, to change the oil filter out half-way through this stage. I figure the ARX is dumping a lot of crapola into the filter. They are cheap enough to keep clean and fresh. So, a Pure One came off, and a new Baldwin went on.

Anyway, I noticed that the oil appeared golden clear, on the dipstick, but when I changed the filter, the filter's oil was jet black. Very much like the ARX out of the bottle.

dunno.gif
Why golden on the dip, but nasty black in the filter?
dunno.gif

Since I hadn't been driving the car very much, the host oil has been in there well-over three months. Then again, since I am adding a fresh qt. fairly often, I felt like I was replenishing the additive package (Castrol QT).

Any comments welcomed!
smile.gif

Just a guess - the oil on the dipstick was 1) warmer and 2) at a film thickness.

The oil in the filter was 1) cooler and 2) the thickness of the sample was greater than a film thickness.

I have noticed that when checking the oil cold it is darker than when checking it hot.

light diffusion. You have a shiny backdrop for the dipstick veiw. Pour the filter contents over your dipstick and it too will look the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back