One Month Review of 2011 Prius

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, 8700 miles already! Are you on track for 27000-30000 miles a year?
Good for you for getting the dealer to address even little issues like the floor mat. If toyota or any manufacturer wants to skimp on things like that to pad profits, its up to buyers to make them pay many times over using the warranty.
The driver door holding open thing wore out on the Tracker so we got it replaced twice in warranty and it seems the second one actually has lasted now for quite a while.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Wow, 8700 miles already! Are you on track for 27000-30000 miles a year?
Good for you for getting the dealer to address even little issues like the floor mat. If toyota or any manufacturer wants to skimp on things like that to pad profits, its up to buyers to make them pay many times over using the warranty.
The driver door holding open thing wore out on the Tracker so we got it replaced twice in warranty and it seems the second one actually has lasted now for quite a while.

Probably closer to 36k/yr if I continue at this rate.

I may just get the free replacement mat, then sell the entire set of mats and install a set of $300 WeatherTechs like we did on the Altima.

Hopefully my "normal" dealer will be able to fix the rattles this time. The dealer next door to my workplace tried and ended up putting back a few panels incorrectly.

I could not find my other thread, but I am currently at 56k. Lifetime average is somewhere in the 40s; I can get low 50s on the highway in warmer weather without much difficulty at all. City mpg is all across the board.

I have not had any "real" issues. The only issues I've had are related to the fit/finish of the interior, which were more of an expectations issue than a vehicle issue.

I did have to replace the rear shocks recently at 54k, and the fronts should be done soon as well.

Other than that, it has been a car that has delivered on its intended purpose.

I drove a Prius for 3 years, just traded it in for a new TDI. I was in love with the technology and with the extremely low cost maintenance but did not love the car. The driving experience was more like driving a golf cart than a car.

I had no issues whatsoever with fit/finish or anything else. I did find that real world MPG was consistently 5% below what the computer stated. It showed me getting 48-52 in town and 45-46 on the highway, driving exclusively in eco mode. It was a great car overall.

Every time gas starts creeping up I start looking at listings for 2nd generation Priuses online. I've driven these cars (2004-09)and although I don't find them exciting to drive, the car would certainly get the job done. My job involves lots of 60 mph driving (2 lane mostly paved roads in rural areas) and I can easily rack up 25-30,000+ miles per year. One concern I have is the heater in these cars. Temps. here in the winter can range from subzero to single digits/low teens for weeks. On a test drive last winter (low mileage 2006 model) on a very cold day, I couldn't get the heater to adequately heat the cabin. Considering I may be in the car 6-8 hours in a day, that would get uncomfortable fast.

I'm looking at a Prius C for the mother in law. While it's as exciting as a loaf of Wonder Bread, if she can stand the Yaris ride/handling she'll be good to go for a long while. The 2nd gen Prius technology has proven to be extremely reliable and durable.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
I'm looking at a Prius C for the mother in law. While it's as exciting as a loaf of Wonder Bread, if she can stand the Yaris ride/handling she'll be good to go for a long while. The 2nd gen Prius technology has proven to be extremely reliable and durable.

I would not say that it is extremely reliable (inverter pumps, combo meter, etc). It is definitely above-avg compared to the rest of the market, though repair costs can be on the high side if you are not an informed customer.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
So what are the plans? Are you getting your own car in the near future? What will it be?

The Prius will stay in the family, but I may add another car at some point in the near future. I am seriously considering a BRZ.

New shocks at less than 60k???

I would NOT consider this acceptable!

I haven't had to think about doing shocks before 120k on a car, and I'd expect a 'light duty' car like a Prius to definetly fall into that category.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
New shocks at less than 60k???

I would NOT consider this acceptable!

I haven't had to think about doing shocks before 120k on a car, and I'd expect a 'light duty' car like a Prius to definetly fall into that category.

I think the fronts may have just expired as well, since I'm starting to get a bit of swaying from the front. I'll have to get under there and take a look this week to make sure that nothing else is broken.

Shocks/struts are a wear item, IMO. 75-100k is what I would normally expect, so this is a bit early.

My wife's 2010 Prius has about 63K on it now, and the struts and shocks still perform like new. We live on rough rural roads that work the suspension, especially with the frost heaves, so they haven't had an easy life.

Originally Posted By: Oldswagon
My wife's 2010 Prius has about 63K on it now, and the struts and shocks still perform like new. We live on rough rural roads that work the suspension, especially with the frost heaves, so they haven't had an easy life.

I am a bit pickier than the average Prius driver, and I do drive the car a bit hard.

If you drove a new Prius with all-new ride control components, you will probably notice a difference.

I am pretty pick when it comes to ride control, I really dislike poor spring dampening. I also frequently drive brand new or near new cars, so I do notice gradual suspension wear on my own cars. That said, on our roads with massive frost heaves that nearly work the suspension through its entire range of motion, the car is still very well controlled. It's certainly now where near needing part replacement. But then again, like you said, you are just probably pickier than me. And my wife does not drive the car hard.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back