Mobil 1 better cleaner than AutoRx?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We use hours to monitor how often we do service work on our farm equipment too. Some pieces of equipment are idle more often while others are run under heavy load most of the time so it's not really the same. If a piece of equipment came with an "on-dash" gauge that measured fuel use, that'd be the most accurate. Then it'd be like, once you use 500 gallons of fuel, time for an oil change instead of 500 hours. Just an example. Then a lot of service manuals recommend shorter change intervals if you're using diesel fuel that has higher amounts of sulphur in it ( I don't know if you can still get anything other than ULSD though ). I don't know if using higher octane gas would have a similar effect, wearing on a gas engine less.

I am in agreement that fuel consumption is a better guage than simple hours of running time. There is also oil analysis that would be specific to the individual piece of equipment and its normal use and could be quite helpful in determining the proper OCI.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Originally Posted By: c3po
Motor oil lubricates and cools parts, it is not a cleaner.

I disagree with this a bit. I do believe that a good oil can do significant cleaning, but I do not believe that many of them will clean the piston rings.

Well guys you can see that I said motor oil is not a cleaner, guess what, I have changed my mind on this subject. I have been using Pennzoil Platinum and I have noticed that the oil has come out darker when I go to do my oil changes, yes even darker than when I was using dino oil on the arx rinse phases. I contacted Pennzoil and they told me there Platinum oil does have some cleaning agents and I am a believer.

My Mom's car that has 110,000 miles has gotten a steady diet of Mobil 1, I took the oil cap off, and it was spotless inside, so I believe Mobil 1 does do some cleaning, my uncle has the same car with 90,000 miles and he uses dino oil and there is quite a bit of discolorization, so now I am sold that certain oil's do clean.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Motor oil lubricates and cools parts, it is not a cleaner.

I disagree with this a bit. I do believe that a good oil can do significant cleaning, but I do not believe that many of them will clean the piston rings.

Well guys you can see that I said motor oil is not a cleaner, guess what, I have changed my mind on this subject. I have been using Pennzoil Platinum and I have noticed that the oil has come out darker when I go to do my oil changes, yes even darker than when I was using dino oil on the arx rinse phases. I contacted Pennzoil and they told me there Platinum oil does have some cleaning agents and I am a believer.

My Mom's car that has 110,000 miles has gotten a steady diet of Mobil 1, I took the oil cap off, and it was spotless inside, so I believe Mobil 1 does do some cleaning, my uncle has the same car with 90,000 miles and he uses dino oil and there is quite a bit of discolorization, so now I am sold that certain oil's do clean.

PP does clean, but dump some MMO in that PP and run it for the last 1000 miles of your OCI. It will clean even more.

AD

This is an awesome thread, we have seen what different oil additives did for ZYXELENATOR in his 3.0L Camry, maybe his engine was to far gone, he tried quite a few oil additives:

1) Auto-rx
2) MMO
3) Kreen

Maybe zyxelenator did not use these oil additives long enough, from reading this thread I can see where an engine that has a steady diet of Mobil 1 would look clean and stay clean.

I was amazed where one member got better results when he tried another oil additive after he was dissapointed with auto-rx.

This thread gives so many opinions for and against auto-rx, as it does opinions for and against Mobil 1

This thread is a good read for anyone thinking about using an oil additive as well as what oil they may consider using. JMO

I'm not really dissapointed with ARX, I wanted something to work little faster. ARX did some cleaning,since I was not able to see any oil on my dipstick,prior ARX. After 2 days I was able to check oil level.
I just put in last bottle of ARX in my oil. Will I buy it again? No, there is cheaper kreen and MMO is very cheap and always available. I will probably use Lubro-Moly engine detox before next drain(already ordered like week ago from Australia), than left overs of kreen, and will just use MMO for future fills, and maybe Lubro Moly Proline Flush ones a year.And yeah I alredy drove over 15k miles since I got this car,so it will be close to 20k in a year. Btw first thing I did,when bought it, was oil change to M1 5-30 ESP if I remember right.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zyxelenator
I just put in last bottle of ARX in my oil

Since you have manually cleaned the top end of your engine, meaning the cylinder heads, keep us updated on how this run of arx does compared to your previous run of using arx.

I tried ARX for various cam and crank seal leaks, did zero (autos and other engines). It did some cleaning but nothing like Frank told many on here for years.

I lost a LOT of faith in the product when frank was negative toward LC20 (and LC posted on it) and mostly for Frank paying posters on posting comments on it.

I just use Amsoil Power Foam, Lc20 or MMO...Cheaper and works

ARX based on posts, has Lanolin in it. Same stuff in Colgate, roof coatings etc. It was started for printing presses, not engines.

Just saying good luck with that!

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
Stay with a decent syn oil and 5K oci's from new and your engine will never need any overpriced cleaners(ARK)....

The problem is that we have many people who buy cars with unknown Maintenance Histories, they see a vehicle that is cheap, and they jump in and buy it, these are the folks who need Oil Additives to clean there engines.

Maybe over the long run Mobil 1 just might clean up an engine that has some junk in it. We just need someone who has bought a vehicle that is dirty to show us some before and after pics.

Of course they need to be using Mobil 1

This is a nice old thread. Just goes to show there is more than one way to skin a cat. There are some really good oils out there for cleaning. PP and M1 are two of em.

It would be nice if synthetic motor oils or HM motor oils could do a good enough job of cleaning. After all, they are approved motor oils and there are no issues with possible damage from solvents used in many idle only engine flushes or drive around engine cleaners. I still think that some idle only nonsolvent engine cleaners might be good-such as Amsoil nonsolvent engine flush and Lubegard nonsolvent engine flush.

The tile of this post was 'Mobil 1 better cleaner than AutoRX?' I personally will no longer make any comments about Auto-RX, either positive or negative. I will discuss MMO, Kreen, Neutra, and other products.

If Artem reads this thread he just might try Mobil 1
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Mystic
It would be nice if synthetic motor oils or HM motor oils could do a good enough job of cleaning. After all, they are approved motor oils and there are no issues with possible damage from solvents used in many idle only engine flushes or drive around engine cleaners. I still think that some idle only nonsolvent engine cleaners might be good-such as Amsoil nonsolvent engine flush and Lubegard nonsolvent engine flush.

The tile of this post was 'Mobil 1 better cleaner than AutoRX?' I personally will no longer make any comments about Auto-RX, either positive or negative. I will discuss MMO, Kreen, Neutra, and other products.

I think a lot of today's syns do a more than adequate job cleaning. I have had really good luck with PP and PU in a kia over the last 30k. consumption has dropped drastically too. Granted mmo was added at the end of a couple ocis but i think most of the credit goes to the oil. I think that unless an engine is just sludged plumb up, switching to a good syn will help a lot over time.

This may sound odd, but it almost seems like extended drains help more for cleaning than short ones... I dont know if its just more miles with a good oil or what. But n my limited experience, there is some kind of relationship between longer ocis with syn and cleaning. I dont really know enough to make a stand on it yet, but it seems worth looking into.

Additives just kinda speed things along. At least thats what they are supposed to do.

I hate to sound like Skyship but really if a good cleaning oil like Pennzoil Platinum can get the cleaning job done than it is good enough. There is no need to make things difficult or endanger an engine. My guess is that motor oils like Pennzoil Platinum and Mobil 1 HM probably clean pretty good.

Maybe do a short OCI with an oil like Pennzoil Platinum and it may clean the engine fairly well. Then use a nonsolvent engine flush like Amsoil or Lubegard before changing oil the next oil change. Or run some MMO, Kreen, or Neutra with the Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1 HM.

If a person has been using conventional motor oils and a seal leak develops after switching to the synthetic I understand that Lupro-Moly has a good seal conditioner.

Keep it simple. No complicated cleaning routines or dangerous techniques.

And remember this-5 quarts of quality motor oil like Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1 HM cost about what some high priced engine cleaners cost. At least give the oil a chance first.

I realize that I am sounding a little like Skyship but I am not like Skyship. I still believe that there are cleaning products that work, and there are nonsolvent idle engine flushes that should be safe if used with directions.

The thing is that Pennzoil Platinum seemed to do a fairly good job of cleaning in the photographs of the Middle Eastern vehicle in the other post. If Pennzoil Platinum will clean that good there is probably no need for special engine cleaners unless the vehicle is really badly sludged up, in which case a partial teardown and physical cleaning will be required.

I was very impressed with how well the Pennzoil Platinum cleaned.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back