Pennzoil Ultra or Royal Purple 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys, I have a question here is my truck 2003 Tacoma V6. Now my question is what oil would you recommend me. Currently I'm using RP 5w30 as motor oil. I was thinking to switching to pennzoil ultra. My truck valvetrain noise was louder with Mobil 1 with RP I have no noise. Anyone used pennzoil ultra on Tacoma can give me feedback on Pennzoil Ultra. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to BITOG!

Ultra is a very good oil. It wont hurt anything to give it a shot, although its not a pao like RP.

I don't have a Tacoma, but I noticed the same valvetrain noise in my Silverado with Mobil 1 - I've been using Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30, Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30, and Castrol 0W-30 pretty much interchangeably for the past 5-6 years and I'm happy with the results - very little valvetrain noise. Ultra is an excellent oil. Try it, if you don't like it you can always go back to RP.

Originally Posted By: hektor
Hello guys, I have a question here is my truck 2003 Tacoma V6. Now my question is what oil would you recommend me. Currently I'm using RP 5w30 as motor oil. I was thinking to switching to pennzoil ultra. My truck valvetrain noise was louder with Mobil 1 with RP I have no noise. Anyone used pennzoil ultra on Tacoma can give me feedback on Pennzoil Ultra. Thanks in advance.

I had problems with valvetrain noise in my CRV with Mobil 1. I've used a lot of other brands of synthetic oil (QSUD, Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra, Castrol Edge, G-Oil, Valvoline Syntec) after the Mobil 1 noise fiasco and never had valvetrain noise again.

I suspected RP would quiet the noise.. The only way to see how PP does may be to try it for an OCI, and see if a difference is felt?

Different oils make the car feel different, yes.

Originally Posted By: GearheadTool

I suspected RP would quiet the noise.. The only way to see how PP does may be to try it for an OCI, and see if a difference is felt?

Different oils make the car feel different, yes.

Why is that?? Suspected??

with RP I have no noise.

Both are great oils, but since RP is working great for you, don't change from it. RP can also go up to and extended 12K interval. Stay with a winner.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
with RP I have no noise.

Both are great oils, but since RP is working great for you, don't change from it. RP can also go up to and extended 12K interval. Stay with a winner.

Agreed. Why change what is working so well?

with RP I have no noise.

Can the regular version of RP go that high? I've read that it usually wears faster than PP.

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
Pep Boys coupon $25 off 5 qts and their filter. This month which makes the choice very easy. Royal Purple

where is the cpoupon at?

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
with RP I have no noise.

Agreed. Why change what is working so well?

agreed, I just starting using it maybe 2k ago. been using M1 but the valve train noise was louder, also the engine took longer to warm up. Since RP no more valvetrain noise and truck feels smooth as [censored] I GUESS she liked that Purple liquid

I'm using RP currently and it seems like the engine likes it, but there are other factors with my situation. Oddly enough, it's louder with RP than any other oil I've used so far in it (M1, Amsoil, and now RP)

Look at the forum list here and find the one that shows the deals at different sources there you will find tenderloin a op that supplies on a monthly basis deals all over. Look at the thread that says Pep Boys.. alas you are in!!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
Pep Boys coupon $25 off 5 qts and their filter. This month which makes the choice very easy. Royal Purple

where is the cpoupon at?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back