Pennzoil Platinum oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone use them? I see them on Amazon.com but have not seen any pennzoil filters on any shelves. What gives? I am thinking of getting one orderd for my Subaru.

Whaaaat....?

Seen and used lots of bright yellow regular PZ filters...never heard of a Platinum one...

Yep those are it. Not much info on them. I wonder how long they have been out?

A thread on this filter circa July/2012 speculated that the filter was a Purolator product and discussed the media and pricing...haven't seen any further info since. Google has a few links that might provide some add'l information.

Originally Posted By: Hallmark
A thread on this filter circa July/2012 speculated that the filter was a Purolator product and discussed the media and pricing...haven't seen any further info since. Google has a few links that might provide some add'l information.

I remember the thread and then predicted that, if given a choice, people would rather buy a Wix or any other premium filter over a premium Pennzoil. There were a few posters who disagreed with me. So far, I haven't been wrong.

BTW Filters and Wipers.com have better pricing on the filters I have checked against Amazon

PENNZOIL PLATINUM HE™ OIL FILTERS

The new Pennzoil Platinum HE™ oil filters are engineered with an exclusive synthetic-blended 2-ply gradient density filter media designed to remove 99%1 of engine oil impurities while trapping on average over 10 grams of contaminants based on industry tests 2.

· Silicone anti-drain back valve lasts up to 2X longer than conventional nitrile valve to protect against dry starts.

· Keeps oil cleaner than standard oil filters for superior engine protection

· PTFE impregnated NBR sealing gasket for ease of installation and removal

· Steel spiral-wound center tube and end caps provide increased internal strength and durability compared to cardboard and plastic components

· Meets or exceeds proposed industry specifications for capacity and efficiency

1 ISO 4548-12 at 30 microns

3 Based on proposed USCAR specifications

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Interesting....the synthetic oil-filter market is sure exploding...

Do you mean filters for use with synthetic oil, or filters with synthetic media?

Probably means filters with full synthetic media, which are the filters that are advertises as long OCI filters to be used with full synthetic oil so you don't have to change the filter (if not synthetic media) out half way through a 10K~15K OCI.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Not a D+. The efficiency of 99% at 30 microns is utterly pathetic. The PureONE blows it out of the water at 99% at 15 microns.
v

The pdf on these Pennzoil Platinum filters says it catches most damaging particles between 10-20 microns NOT 30 microns..if that were case this wouldnt be a premium filter by any stretch! I ordered 3 from Amazon for my Ford Edge under $7 each!!!!

Originally Posted By: stygz
Anyone use them? I see them on Amazon.com but have not seen any pennzoil filters on any shelves. What gives? I am thinking of getting one orderd for my Subaru.

Is this the one your talking about? * IN THE PIC *
If so I think its sorta like a FRAM TOUGH GAURD ( Perhaps with metal End Caps )
Read

I know the Tough Guards use a ( Synthetic-Blend filter media technology also )

However this filter has a two play lawyer... Not sure if its Cellulose and Glass blended media pr what... the cellulose is FRAM OCOD...

Exclusive Synthetic blended Two-ply gradient density filter media is engineered to remove 99 percent * of engine oil impurities and trap up to 36 grams of contaminants based on industry tests
An oil filter so good it meets or exceeds proposed industry specifications for capacity and efficiency
A premium oil change calls for a premium oil filter

Also here is a good video on YOU TUBE....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOGFKL73_Gk

I think its simular to a FRAM Tough Gaurd as far as Filter Media... However the bypass is at the top and it does have metal end disc / end caps

see take a look
2j61kjb.jpg

9107owNR84L._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
David turned up better specs with 36 grams. 10 grams capacity above would be a small filter or a large pitiful one. 99% @ 30 um is not stellar but the way the specs are presented above are ambiguous. I wonder if the true specs aren't 100% @ 30 up. That would be more appropriate for a premium syn blend media and would probably show around 20-25% @ 20 um... but that's all speculation on my part. If it's 99 @ 30um, that's pitiful for a premium filter.

Last edited:
Unless someone just happens to like the name Pennzoil Platinum and/or can get this filter very inexpensively not sure why one would chase this filter. As commented on in the youtube the promo wording regarding some aspects is very vague. The yt shows thread end bypass, metal end caps and some type of blended media, but these yt promos are not noted for being particularly reliable.

As dissected in the yt it looks most similar to some type of Wix construction, nothing like Fram cellulose or blend fiber end cap construction including the TG.

Too many filters out there now at reasonable price, with known ISO tested efficiency and construction to chase the PPHE, imo. I'll let someone else be the beta tester. Pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back