When foreign (japanese) cars are made in the US...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Qui bene? (Who benefits?)

I know that the "Japanese Detroit" is somewhere in California, with the headquarters of Toyota AND Honda there.

IIRC, the Accord and Camry are assembled in the US.

Nissan has a huge plant near Smyrna, TN?

And many, many more.. including Merz-Bz in Alabama for the ML320...

Also. Is it still true that VW WAGONS are made in germany, SEDNAS in Mexico? (Vin WVW vs 3VW, most notably Passat, IIRC?)

Questions about whatis made where, and why, and who benefits (workers get paid but how does that work for the company, etc etc)

Strictly speaking the answer is obvious; the manufacture benefits or they wouldn’t do it. They build cars here because it is cheaper than shipping them and land is much cheaper here than in their home countries (in most cases). Plus they also get subsidies from our government which sweeten the deal.

People who work for the Japanese companies in the US pay taxes here and spend there paychecks here.
The Toyota Camry is the most American car you can buy.

It is really difficult now to make any political statements about the auto industry since all of the OEMs and suppliers are global suppliers. The "drive American" slogan is a thing of the past well unless you work for the UAW. The whole concept of a "foreign" car is long gone.

BTW, everyone involved benefits.

Originally Posted By: Doog
It is really difficult now to make any political statements about the auto industry since all of the OEMs and suppliers are global suppliers. The "drive American" slogan is a thing of the past well unless you work for the UAW. The whole concept of a "foreign" car is long gone.

BTW, everyone involved benefits.
I don't see any difference between a Japanese car and a "Chrysler" with a Mexican engine and a Canadian body. The profits go to Italy, eh? The list of "US" cars made elsewhere is lengthy.

Originally Posted By: GearheadTool
Questions about whatis made where, and why, and who benefits (workers get paid but how does that work for the company, etc etc)

Everyone does. That's the point.

At the same time, everyone benefits less than they would if everything were made in their own country, which is why people complain about globalization. The catch is that that's not always feasible, which is one reason why we HAVE globalization.

If you're looking for a hard-and-fast way to say who benefits MOST... good luck finding it.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Samilcar
Most American-made car lists take into account both place of assembly and origin of the parts that are assembled.

Originally Posted By: rshaw124
The Toyota Camry is the most American car you can buy.

Keep in mind the cars.com list also factors in total sales as part of the equation. The Camry is only #1 because of its enormous sales. Even in Toyota's own lineup, there are vehicles with higher domestic content than the Camry.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig

I don't see any difference between a Japanese car and a "Chrysler" with a Mexican engine and a Canadian body.

Wow...a Gringo Chrysler Eh?
lol.gif

The Honda Accord is only made in Ohio IIRC.

My brother's Accord is Japanese-made.

Originally Posted By: css9450
The Honda Accord is only made in Ohio IIRC.

My brother's Accord is Japanese-made.

You are correct they are made in Marysville, Ohio and Sayama, Japan.

2013 outback is made in usa?

but its part content is highly japanese.

my subaru was made in G******** Japan.

Last edited:
And you can benefit two. Most foreign car companies have ADR issues on the exchanges, so you can, in essence, buy stock in the Japanese, Korean or German car makers.

That way, you can benefit from them doing well in your retirement portfolio.

There is a lot of engineering beyond manufacture done in the USA.

These are quality jobs.

Subaru also does their manufacture of Legacy/Outback in the USA since 1990.

It is wonderful engineering is done in the USA by Japan makers for certain models. As Ford and GM have exported a bit to other countries Japanese have introduced more to the USA.

The VW Jetta wagon and golf are much higher quality than their Mexican sedan (Jetta/Beetle) counterparts. Guess where they are made? Even consumer reports owner survey's reflect this.

The new Passat is made in the USA and is a USDM specific model.

I wonder about cars like the Chevy Spark. I believe it's made in South Korea. So is there anything American made in that thing?

Do people wanting to "buy American" buy cars like this thinking they are?

"Why don'chew buy Amurrican 'stead of those little "Nipper" cars like that Mazda?"

Oh, you mean American cars like the Ford Mustang?

Yeah....real American car like the Mustang!

They never believe me when I tell them that it's made in the same factory as the Mustang.

Never.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back