07 Elantra, difficulty finding correct spark plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2007 Elantra here that is nearing 60k miles.

The car was originally from Canada, fwiw, which may/may not make a difference.

The factory service manual states that the BKR5ES11 NGK copper plugs are the correct spark plugs.

However, the factory maint schedule says to replace the spark plugs every 60k...with a parenthesis that the plugs are platinum.

To further complicate matters, I looked up spark plugs for a 2008 Elantra (same car) and the factory service manual says that it calls for a NGK IZFR5L-11 OE Laser Iridium plug.

So, has anyone changed plugs on a 2007 Elantra? What are the correct plugs for a 2007?
confused.gif

Thanks.

My search indicates that iridium are preferred. technically you could use platinums or irridium. personnally, I would use NGK iridiums: BKR5EIX-11

Iridium is currently more popular and more available than platinum. I believe that this is due to the fact that iridium is significantly cheaper than platinum, therefore plug makers are making and selling more iridium plugs. They may put a marketing spin on the use of iridium, but I believe that price is the primary reason for it.

Personally, I have not noticed an iota of difference in engine behavior or in plug life, between platinum and iridium.

Provided ALL the other plug-specs are correct, it should be possible to substitute iridium for platinum.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
The factory service manual states that the BKR5ES11 NGK copper plugs are the correct spark plugs.
To further complicate matters, I looked up spark plugs for a 2008 Elantra (same car) and the factory service manual says that it calls for a NGK IZFR5L-11 OE Laser Iridium plug

NGK says these plugs are totally different from each other. I suspect the '08 engine differs in some significant way from the '07.

I wouldn't use the iridiums that the '08 calls for but I'm sure NGK has the proper fitting iridium upgrade for the '07.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I have a 2007 Elantra here that is nearing 60k miles.

The car was originally from Canada, fwiw, which may/may not make a difference.

However, the factory maint schedule says to replace the spark plugs every 60k...with a parenthesis that the plugs are platinum.

To further complicate matters, I looked up spark plugs for a 2008 Elantra (same car) and the factory service manual says that it calls for a NGK IZFR5L-11 OE Laser Iridium plug.

So, has anyone changed plugs on a 2007 Elantra? What are the correct plugs for a 2007?
confused.gif

Thanks.

Both plug you mentioned is interchangeable with different lifetime and performance application. The original model BKR5ES is seldom found because for the same price people will choose BKR5EY that offer better ignition performance.
Some people will also choose BKR5EIX if they want even better performance with higher price. The IZR5L offers the longest lifetime and probably best cost ownership if you dont change the plug yourself, with similar to BKR5EIX performance.

Nothing to worry, just find the easiest to find with the price you want to pay.

2004-2010 elantra engines are identical (added vvt in 2004). 01-03's are just about the same engine but of course the non-vvt cylinder head. they are also the same engine as kia spectras, which makes them awesome for cheap parts. found a thermostat housing for a steal after i cracked it with my he-man strength.

Last edited:
According to both the O'Reilly web site and the NGK web site, the OE style is BKR5ES-11.

NGK lists long life alternatives like PFR5N-11 (Laser Platinum) and IFR5E11 (Laser Iridium).

Yesterday I just swapped the factory plugs out of my Mom's 2004 Elantra GT w/ 71k miles. In 2004, a SULEV engine came with the iridium plugs and were good for 100k. Hers isn't a SULEV, so it came with champion platinums that looked like they should have been changed 20k miles ago.
I threw in some denso double platinums as they priced out the best when picking up parts for it. Good for another 60k. Also installed a cabin air filter - they were 'optional' that year. As in the space is there, but no filter was installed unless you payed for that factory option.

I agree with
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
I'd use the OEM-grade IFR5E-11, not the cheaper 'enthusiast'-grade BKR5EIX-11.
if you want the iridium to go 100k. Or if 60k is good, grab some double platinums for ~$4-5 each.

It's often recommended here that one should stick to the OEM plug recommendation, as shown on the underhood sticker. One would think that this is to ensure ALL performance parameters (heat range, efficiency,power,longevity, etc.). In this case, Hyundai went from the low end standard "copper" type plug to the high end Iridium on the same engine from 2007 to 2008.

From what I am reading in this thread, most here agree that in this case, one can put in any of the recommended 6 plugs from NGK without worry. Choice will not affect engine performance per se, but will be based on Return of Investment, I.E. - plug cost vs. longevity.

Correct?

2007 HYUNDAI ELANTRA SE 2.0 L4 D FI Plug choices per NGK
BKR5ES-11 #
BKR5E-11
BKR5EGP
PFR5N-11 *
IFR5E11 ^
BKR5EIX-11

P.S. - no need to school me on the definition of "copper" plug....it's a marketing term. Hand me a Kleenex, please.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

From what I am reading in this thread, most here agree that in this case, one can put in any of the recommended 6 plugs from NGK without worry. Choice will not affect engine performance per se, but will be based on Return of Investment, I.E. - plug cost vs. longevity.

Correct?

True. The specified replacement interval is 60,000 miles, so even the Iridium IX should be adequate in this case.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Also, what's in there now?

No idea. I also found out that the car only had 50-ish miles, so I'll wait until the next service before suggesting plugs (OEM recommends 60k).

I PMed one member on a Hyundai forum and they said their 2007 came with Champion plugs (FSM says Champion or NGK are OE).

What I would probably do is take down the VIN and go to the Hyundai dealer and get the plugs from there.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
If it's from Canada the proper model is 2007 Elantra EH .....

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back